FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do sanctions ever work?

loyal
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15901360

Do sanctions ever work in reality? I can't help but think that Syria will carry on cracking down on protestors, who want change, regardless of how many statements of condemnation nations keep issuing and how many sanctions countries keep placing.
deanhills
Good question Loyal. Sanctions did not work in Iraq at all as an example. Instead it created enormous damage to the very people one would have wanted to help if the sanctions had been genuinely and sincerely designed to help the people of Iraq. For example scientists and engineers had been unable to travel abroad to attend conferences or to study abroad.

In the case of Syria it is worse, as no doubt Syria will be able to get assistance from Iran, and Iran would then be able to expand its power base in the Middle East. Those people who are being suppressed and for whom the sanctions had been implemented to help them will probably be much worse off than before.
ocalhoun
I'm not aware of any situation where sanctions actually brought about the effects desired...
Nameless
I can think a few instances were sanctions have worked and been reasonably effective in the long term ... against toddlers. *sigh*