FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Read About Bananas





mgeek
Here are some health tips involving bananas ...

loremar
I always eat banana everyday, every meal. I need it.

5 or 6 years ago, I was diagnosed with hypokalemic periodic paralysis. I was very very low in potassium. I could not move my limbs and I had no longer strength to walk or even stand up. People have to carry me. Went to the hospital and I have to be infused with potassium chloride to get back to normal.

Doctor told me to eat bananas everyday in case my potassium level goes down again at anytime. I had some few attacks sometimes but not that major as before. Bananas no longer taste that good for me than it was before but it's most important for me right now.
mgeek
loremar wrote:

Doctor told me to eat bananas everyday in case my potassium level goes down again at anytime. I had some few attacks sometimes but not that major as before. Bananas no longer taste that good for me than it was before but it's most important for me right now.


I knew someone who had an attack induced by low potassium level. He gave us a scare.
loremar
Worst thing you can get with very low potassium is getting a heart failure and difficulty breathing because of weak muscles.

Everyone should eat bananas. You'll never know when your potassium starts going down.
augustinelund
I was on Atkins diet and I got a severe pain in my leg for a long time. I went to the pharmacy to buy potassium pills but they did not want to sell any to me because they said it was dangerous to eat if I did not have a low level. She recommended me to eat bananas instead. Now my leg are OK. I do not now if it was a deficiency, but when I look at different food, bananas does not contain a lot of potassium in comparison. It is very difficult to find a correct number for how much potassium you need per day and how much the food contains. Do you have any good links?
Nameless
At first I was like
mgeek wrote:
* A Banana A Day (Part 3)

How many possible tips can there be beyond 'eat some'? Laughing

But then
loremar wrote:
I was very very low in potassium. I could not move my limbs and I had no longer strength to walk or even stand up.

Surprised Sad Bananas are apparently serious business. True-but-less-interesting story: Today I ate my first banana in something like nine months and now I'm feeling a little scared.
loyal
loremar wrote:

5 or 6 years ago, I was diagnosed with hypokalemic periodic paralysis. I was very very low in potassium.

How do you get that, inherited or a really poor diet? Hypokalemic just means low potassium, for the non-science folk. Do bananas provide you with enough potassium or do you have to take pure potassium tablets?
loremar
augustinelund wrote:
I was on Atkins diet and I got a severe pain in my leg for a long time. I went to the pharmacy to buy potassium pills but they did not want to sell any to me because they said it was dangerous to eat if I did not have a low level.

Yes, you can't since there's a good chance you might get hyperkalemia. Excess potassium can cause your heart to beat irratically.
Quote:
She recommended me to eat bananas instead. Now my leg are OK. I do not now if it was a deficiency, but when I look at different food, bananas does not contain a lot of potassium in comparison. It is very difficult to find a correct number for how much potassium you need per day and how much the food contains. Do you have any good links?

Yes, other fruits like avocados have higher potassium level. From what I read, avocados have about 60% more potassium than bananas. But why bananas? Because they're always available and cheap. How much potassium do you need? If you feel like if your feet or legs felt a little crampy or you can't carry heavy things because your biceps felt very weak, you should suspect that you might need more potassium.

When I feel weak, I usually drink sports drink like gatorade along with my bananas. They have plenty of potassium. When it gets really worse, I'm forced to take potassium tablets. Worst case scenario, I have to be brought to hospital and infused with potassium chloride.

I don't think low in potassium can cause severe pain unless you push a very weak muscle and injure it. You might want to check what really caused pain in your leg.

loyal wrote:
How do you get that, inherited or a really poor diet? Hypokalemic just means low potassium, for the non-science folk. Do bananas provide you with enough potassium or do you have to take pure potassium tablets?

Might be inherited. Hypokalemia is common in dehydrated patients like having severe diarrhea or fever. But for periodic paralysis which can be caused by either hypokalemia or hyperkalemia, the real cause is probably genetic. Why paralytic attacks happen periodically or in unexpected situations, suggest that the cause might be something biological.

But it can also be cause by some triggers such as rest after exercise, too much carbohydrates, and drinking alcohol which explains why I don't drink and I don't exercise. But being asian who can't live without rice, I am guilty of taking too much carbohydrates.

Eating bananas is just a precautionary thing to control the situation if paralysis attacks and before it gets worse. Worse means very very weak like you can't walk, can't lift your arm, and poor breathing.
deanhills
I've heard that bananas that are not tree ripened, are not good for a person. So wonder whether the ones we buy in the store, that are basically still green, are really that good for us?
mgeek
There are different kinds of bananas. Some are yellow, some are green when ripe. There is also the red variety with orange meat.
augustinelund
I like food bananas. When they are ripe you can eat as a supplement to food, yummy, but you get really full in your stomach when you eat them. In Central America you can eat them to breakfast together with rice and beans.
Nameless
augustinelund wrote:
I like food bananas.

... as opposed to those brick bananas which are only useful for building banana huts and should not be eaten unless you want to experience a literal figure of speech involving suddenly emptying your bowels.
shopperpk
There are some people having opinion One banana is good for health but two bananas are not good. Same in the case if you are eating three bananas its good for health. anyone have heard this kind of thing or not ?
Timothy
There is no doubt that every natural thing in this world has a purpose and it just a matter of time when the purpose reveal itself to us. Bananas have such nutrients in it that it would help in making your nervous system strong enough to carry on your daily work with full efficiency.
codersfriend
bananas help remove pimples....
see any monkey with pimple?
just kidding Razz

but it's really good for the heart
FastDebrid
I remember when my dad was confined in the hospital for low potassium level.
We were all wondering how was that possible when he always ate a banana every meal.
Then, the doctor told us that it was caused by drinking alkaline water.
So since then, my dad hasn't been drinking alkaline water.
augustinelund
Alkaline water what is that? Can you please give an example? I think that this is interesting. Is Coca cola alkaline water ?
loremar
FastDebrid wrote:
I remember when my dad was confined in the hospital for low potassium level.
We were all wondering how was that possible when he always ate a banana every meal.
Then, the doctor told us that it was caused by drinking alkaline water.
So since then, my dad hasn't been drinking alkaline water.

I'm not sure how alkaline water lowers potassium level. Doesn't it contain alkaline ions including potassium? So doesn't it suppose to increase potassium instead?
mshafiq
In fact, bananas have several positive benefits that many other fruits do not have.

yellow-skinned fruits are ideal for health because they have a sweet taste that most people enjoy.

thats why it is very easy to eat banana daily

Bananas are also convenient because you can carry them with you whenever you are in a hurry.

they have two times as many carbohydrates as an apple, five times as much Vitamin A and iron and three times as much phosphorus.Bananas are rich in potassium and natural sugars.

so we can say banana is super food
bananas provide energy
if some one have constipation eat 3 to 4 banana, he or she feel better because banana have certain fiber that help to promote bowel movement

Banana increase brain power also
Banana is very healthy food for pregnent women.

In every respect banana,s are very healthy food.
augustinelund
When I was pregnant I could not eat bananas though I usually eat a lot of them. I just love to eat bananas. My sister got a craving for bananas when she was pregnant. If it is so good to eat bananas when you are pregnant, why could nīt I eat them?
Related topics
Do you read comics? What title?
Who`s like read books??
Dune, Ever read its briliance?
Harry Potter, Are you into it?
please read this topic very interest
Mark all forums read
How often do you read sci-fi for pleasure?
Jonathan Livingston Seagull
a nice story that can get you thinking... read to find out
Marketplace Blacklist! - Read to avoid being scammed!
The worst book you've ever read
Please read this first
why should we pay stupid people to rebuild their homes?
Why couldn't the elephant eat the bananas??
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Health and Beauty

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.