FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

hard drive got formatted accidently

pin_drop_silence
can anyone help me out. one of partition on my hard drive got formatted accidentally. can i get back data which was gone on formatted drive.
Nameless
Sure you can! Just reach down into your bottom drawer and pull out those regular backups you have been making, right?

(But no, I seriously doubt it, the whole point of formatting is to properly wipe everything.)
Marcuzzo
chances are that the files are lost
one of these may be your best shot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_data_recovery_software

EDIT: found a video on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq6_-fvtV4I
Nameless
Okay, rule one: don't trust the links of the guy with one post claiming to magically solve your problem with an exe file. Just throwing that out there.
billlam
There's no way to recover your hard disk if you didn't have a backup on an other drive.
My dad often uses DVDs to make backups for security.
badai
try this free software to recover formatted partition:

http://www.easeus.com/partition-recovery/

there are many other free data recovery software out there.
Bluedoll
How does a partition get accidentally formatted and why? Not getting the whole picture here. Is there more than one? Do you usually not set up your partitions in the beginning then format? Wait a minute a drive gets formatted a partition is information about the drive? Confused

Yeah, I was under the impression that the purpose of format was to wipe the drive clean with no means of restoring.
Bondings
Bluedoll wrote:
Yeah, I was under the impression that the purpose of format was to wipe the drive clean with no means of restoring.

Formating only resets the filesystem of a partition to it's initial state - it creates everything needed for the filesystem and sets everything else to unused/free space. However it doesn't actually overwrite all the bits on your hard drive, only the ones that are needed for the filesystem itself unless you specifically ask it to overwrite everything (which would take very long). In case you want to erase all your data then a simple format is not enough.

So in theory, yes you can actually get back most of your files in case of an accidental formating - if they haven't been overwritten. It's not something easy and you don't get everything back usually. As badai mentioned there exists some free and a lot of paid software to recover it.
ilmkidunya
pin_drop_silence wrote:
can anyone help me out. one of partition on my hard drive got formatted accidentally. can i get back data which was gone on formatted drive.

use the software named (Run time get data back) it iwll help you its easy and fast... here is the link
http://www.runtime.org/ you can aslo download the software by searching the google if dont PM me i will send you..
crystalkey
It happened to me (just once), many years ago. I got over 95% of my files back ...
flamepjlh
pin_drop_silence wrote:

Try R-studio. It is a very usefull tool to recover your files.                      

But don't write to the drive now. Surprised
kmontano
While it is highly unlikely, you may be able to recover something using various commercially available data recovery software.