FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Black Friday what is it?

k_s_baskar
Hi all,
I am from asia. I want know what is Black friday & why online companies giving lot of discounts for their products on that day.
Robert_Redbeard
Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving in the USA. It is what the retail industry likes to call the busiest shopping day of the year. But it is a total myth. Just a marketing ploy to get people to buy more crap they don't need. The busiest shopping day of the year is actually in December and the actual day varies from year to year.

It is a new marketing ploy for the most part. Just trying to get more people into thier stores and get those sales numbers up before the end of the year.
Hello_World
It is a Friday that falls on the 13th of the month. It is supposed to be unlucky.

13 is generally considered an unlucky number in 'West'.

Maybe someone knows the origins of it, I can't help you with that.

EDIT: LOL apparently I'm completely off the mark here - but that is what I always thought it was. I didn't see the other post.
k_s_baskar
Robert_Redbeard wrote:
Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving in the USA. It is what the retail industry likes to call the busiest shopping day of the year. But it is a total myth. Just a marketing ploy to get people to buy more crap they don't need. The busiest shopping day of the year is actually in December and the actual day varies from year to year.

It is a new marketing ploy for the most part. Just trying to get more people into thier stores and get those sales numbers up before the end of the year.

Thanks a lot for your nice reply. Now i got it
ocalhoun
On a related note, if you're unhappy with the commercialization of christmas, then please participate in 'buy nothing day'... which happens to be black friday.
('Buy nothing christmas' even better, but that's too much to ask from most people.)

The only way to fix the screwed up way things are now is to begin with the people themselves.
Robert_Redbeard
Another note. The name Black Friday is because supposedly most business' operate in the red until Black Friday comes around and they start making a profit. So it is also an accounting term I guess.

Just figured I would toss that in.

And I don't expect I will be buying anything today. Maybe some beer and a burger from a local business. But not much more than that. I make things for gifts. I find it more meaningful that way.
standready
Robert_Redbeard wrote:

A very good explaination, Robert!

Robert_Redbeard wrote:
Another note. The name Black Friday is because supposedly most business' operate in the red until Black Friday comes around and they start making a profit. So it is also an accounting term I guess.

And I don't expect I will be buying anything today. Maybe some beer and a burger from a local business. But not much more than that. I make things for gifts. I find it more meaningful that way.

Lost what I was going to say after reading the word "beer"! laugh Only thing I half-bought today. I say half bought because the pub picked up half my tab today.
foumy6
All I can say that this year I went to walmart at midnight to get a kindle and NEVER AGAIN.
Radar
I really did assume that it was Friday the 13th for a while there.

Hmm. Oh well.
missdixy
ocalhoun wrote:
On a related note, if you're unhappy with the commercialization of christmas, then please participate in 'buy nothing day'... which happens to be black friday.
('Buy nothing christmas' even better, but that's too much to ask from most people.)

Do groceries count? I totally wanted to participate in 'buy nothing day' and tried but then last minute I really needed to buy some milk and eggs and some grapes. Do the companies only care about like non-grocery items on that day?
deanhills
I'm really bad when I have to think along the lines of "buy nothing" day. That is exactly when I want to buy at all cost. Like going on a diet. It's like a red flag for wanting to eat everything I see, so have given up on diets a million years ago.

Idea Ha! Think I've just hit a nice idea for a money making Website. The Black Friday Diet ..... hehe .... Twisted Evil
ocalhoun
missdixy wrote:

Do groceries count? I totally wanted to participate in 'buy nothing day' and tried but then last minute I really needed to buy some milk and eggs and some grapes. Do the companies only care about like non-grocery items on that day?

As long as you steer clear of the special Christmas displays at the grocery store, I guess that counts.
Robert_Redbeard
I'm liking the humor. I did stick to the buying beer and some food. But both at a local business. Tossed in a couple games of pool and darts with a wicked hot babe that I work with for good measure. Then it was home and off to bed. (Beside said wicked hot girl from work!)
ujjwalshrestha
Black friday is one of the biggest commercialized events which takes place on the Friday after Thanksgiving and marks the beginning of many peoples' Christmas shopping. This is a day in which stores open extremely early with sales, discounts, and deals that have customers lining up outside their doors, willing to fight for the perfect gift.

Historically, people camp outside stores such as Best buy, Target, Walmart and other major retailers to buy merchandise at cheap prices. When these consumer campers are herded through the doors at opening time, people get trampled to death—every year. This can be the mark of successful advertising to these companies, as people are willing to camp, stampede and trample other people—sometimes to death—in order to buy merchandise. This is a day when consumerism takes over the world.
Insanity
It's just a day after Thanksgiving where retailers lower their prices because the holiday shopping season has begun.
Bluedoll
Robert_Redbeard wrote:

It has been going on for a long time but lately has been getting more attention due to the economy and the reactions of some consumers in certain locations. Removing old stock to re-shelf was the idea but it was used I think to get people to shop again.

They did?
pauline5765
In the Philippines, Black Friday is a "holy" day for the Catholics. So people are mostly on leave from work or in church or just in their homes. So probably because there's a lot of people that are free on that day, then businesses give discounts to attract more crowds to them.
spinout
hm, last time 13th date occoured on a friday... my workpals son had a terrible MC accident, hospitalized for 3 months...

This time my car got a parking ticket outside my house!!!!!

It is a strange day!!!