FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Active Directory - Add new computer and set MAC address

welshsteve
Is it possible to add a new computer into Active Directory (server 2003) and set it's MAC address so that the PC can be logged into the domain?

The reason I ask is that I am currently clearing up a messy network left over by my predecessor and have come across a PC on the network that is on the corporate domain (option in the Windows XP login screen), but the computer has no record in Active Directory, and therefore is unable to log in to the network. Obviously this PC got lost and removed from Active Directory, but is actually still a working PC, just hasn't been used in a while.

I have no idea what the local administrator account password is (I have tried all the possible ones).

I know I could wipe the computer and re-install Windows, but I'd ideally like to avoid that if I can as it will use up an unnecessary license.

Many thanks in advance.
ProfessorY91
I haven't used AD circa 2003 for a while, so I'm going to suggest an alternative route. On the physical machine, use an Offline NT Password & Registry Editor to reset the local Administrator's password. From there, I'm certain you can obtain the license key for a reinstall. I don't remember if its possible or not, but you may be able to configure a domain logon from the actual PC with just local Admin access, if you bring its MAC back into the look on the AD server.

Best of luck. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
welshsteve
Hey thanks, I used a bootable CD with a tool to reset the local admin password. I then removed the PC from the domain, restarted it, and re-added it to the domain. All is well now Smile
sulewel
welshsteve wrote:
Hey thanks, I used a bootable CD with a tool to reset the local admin password. I then removed the PC from the domain, restarted it, and re-added it to the domain. All is well now Smile

Which tool you used to burn a bootable cd? Could it be done with USB stick? thanks