FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Downloading Android Binaries for Offline Install

neutrino2039
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to download android binary files (.apk) and install them offline on multiple android mobile devices?
william
Sure, just download the .apk file and put it on the SD card of the Android mobile devices. Then using a file manager of your choice (ES, Astro, etc.) just navigate to it and click on it. That will start the package installer and let you install it. Just make sure to allow installation of non-market apps (go to Settings -> Applications -> Check Unknown Sources).

And you can also install it via ADB if you choose.
neutrino2039
Thanks! One more question. Is it possible to download those files without a Google Id (from android market or someplace else)? You see it would be a lot easier to download and backup them from my laptop if that were the case.
william
No need for a Google ID. There are several sites that will let you download the .apk files (like getJar). Easiest thing to do is do a Google search for your application + apk and you'll find them in plenty of places to download them (just keep it legal).

Also, if you use the application called Titanium Backup, you can backup all of your applications to your computer and then restore them if you want. This will allow you to take care of the apps you already have.
neutrino2039
Thank you for your reply. I downloaded the necessary .apk files and successfully installed it using ADB (my Sony Ericsson X8 lacks a file manager utility). You have been a great help.