FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Trashbin!!! No joke

A thrashbin thread - yes or no!
Yes
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
No
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 7

spinout
So I have read the millionth forum posting with no brain at all!
The reason: more points i.e. days to have a subdomain...
How do we get rid of this???
Answer: Lets have a trashbin thread in every forum part - namned the trashbin!!!
Everyone enters or copies the a text with no meaning so it generates 5 points in the trashbin -> Ka-schiing clean and interesting postings in this forum!!!!

Thoughts???

I think this is a good idea - the first trashbin in borne!!!!
Peterssidan
This is not much better than removing the post requirements all together. I'm not so sure if most brain dead posts is coming from users that need points. I get the impression that it's mostly signature-link-spammers that do most of the brain dead posts.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
This is not much better than removing the post requirements all together. I'm not so sure if most brain dead posts is coming from users that need points. I get the impression that it's mostly signature-link-spammers that do most of the brain dead posts.
This is well said and I agree with most of it. However, Spinout has a very good point, I just don't agree with his solution. I'd far rather that Frihost let go of post requirements beyond the point of allocation of Website space. I.e. it increases the basic requirement for number of posts from 5 to 15 posts to get Website space, and once the Frihoster has earned Website space there are no additional posts needed to keep his Website space alive. We will still get some meaningless posts, but there will be less meaningless posts for those who feel under an obligation to post to keep their Website going.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
This is well said and I agree with most of it. However, Spinout has a very good point, I just don't agree with his solution. I'd far rather that Frihost let go of post requirements beyond the point of allocation of Website space. I.e. it increases the basic requirement for number of posts from 5 to 15 posts to get Website space, and once the Frihoster has earned Website space there are no additional posts needed to keep his Website space alive. We will still get some meaningless posts, but there will be less meaningless posts for those who feel under an obligation to post to keep their Website going.

If the idea behind posting is ad revenue, this is an absolutely suicidal model.

I also dislike the trashbin idea. We're going to get crap posts no matter what with any kind of post for host model... encouraging trash is just going to make things worse. Having a thread for low quality posts isn't going to really help anything, and it certainly won't contain all the low quality garbage posts in one location. I think striving for content is more important.
loremar
Trashbin! Great idea. Very Happy

I know this thread has to belong to somewhere. Razz
*joke*
truespeed
The 15 posts idea is bad,if when i first joined i knew that i only had to post 15 times to gain lifetime hosting i would of made 15 posts never to return,it takes a while before posting on frihost becomes a habit rather than a chore.

A trashbin in every forum? Another bad idea,its only because frihost has insisted on quality posts from the out set that it gets so much guest traffic/ad revenue.
ocalhoun
Moved to suggestions

As for the idea itself... We already have a bin for poor-quality posts... called the 'spamcan'.
All you have to do is make poor quality posts, and the mods would be happy to move them there for you...
standready
truespeed wrote:
The 15 posts idea is bad,if when i first joined i knew that i only had to post 15 times to gain lifetime hosting i would of made 15 posts never to return,it takes a while before posting on frihost becomes a habit rather than a chore.

A trashbin in every forum? Another bad idea,its only because frihost has insisted on quality posts from the out set that it gets so much guest traffic/ad revenue.

I have to agree with you on this. No trashbin, please. I do like the idea of raising number of quality posts (maybe 10) to receive hosting but still must continue to be an active part of the community (ie post) to maintain hosting.
Ankhanu
Yeah, an increase in the number of quality posts required for hosting isn't a bad idea, it certainly has merit.

I was thinking, a trashbin isn't a bad idea, in some regards... but if implemented, I think it should be like the Joke and Funny Images forums... not worth any points.
Nameless
Allow junk posts, even in a specific sub-forum without gaining points, is a bad idea. It wouldn't benefit the real conversations at all, it would get people into a habit of bogus posting that might carry over into other sub-forums, and it would give the forum a bad appearance to any new browsers.
Ankhanu
Nameless wrote:
Allow junk posts, even in a specific sub-forum without gaining points, is a bad idea. It wouldn't benefit the real conversations at all, it would get people into a habit of bogus posting that might carry over into other sub-forums, and it would give the forum a bad appearance to any new browsers.

True, true.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
I don't think so. If you check, I'd say the majority of posts are from your regular posters who aren't necessarily only posting to keep their Websites going. I'd say all of the participants in this discussion are regular posters whose motivation to post may have little to do with keeping their Websites up and running.
truespeed
deanhills wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
I don't think so. If you check, I'd say the majority of posts are from your regular posters who aren't necessarily only posting to keep their Websites going. I'd say all of the participants in this discussion are regular posters whose motivation to post may have little to do with keeping their Websites up and running.

I wouldn't of carried on beyond 15 posts,i only became a regular poster because i had to post,i imagine its the same for a lot of people who originally joined for hosting and got drawn into the community because of necessity.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

I wouldn't of carried on beyond 15 posts,i only became a regular poster because i had to post,i imagine its the same for a lot of people who originally joined for hosting and got drawn into the community because of necessity.
Totally agreed. We all started at that point. But I'd say within a month it completely changed for me. I got more and more involved. Maybe even addicted.
spinout
The only addition I have ever got is to tease some moderators! Laughing

I mostly just write for points... atleast honest!
Ankhanu
Yep, I probably wouldn't put up with the forum's shortcomings if it weren't for hosting. The forum is fun, but, it has a lot of problems, perhaps because it's international and so broad in scope... but I've talked about this topic before, no need to get into it here. There were two years in there that I had to remind myself to log in every couple weeks to post; if it weren't for the hosting I'd have simply slipped away... and the various "why do you post" type threads reveals that a lot of people do feel that way.

Point is, hosting DOES keep people around.
sonam
Trash bin NO thanks. I don't like it.

Quote:
Yeah, an increase in the number of quality posts required for hosting isn't a bad idea, it certainly has merit.

I don't think so. For new members it is not easy to write lot of quality posts on start. They need time to come in in community. I think five posts is quite enough for see who have interesting and who haven't. If you look in Introduction forum you will see lot of new member posts without any answer or just one? Sad If we didn't do some efforts to call new members on discussion, and ignore answers on theirs "Hello" how we can increase number of required posts? I think this will pollute less number of members and less popularity of free hosting.

Sonam
Ankhanu
I am guilty of never visiting the Introductions forum...
ocalhoun
Nameless wrote:

And, I think that spam-like posts somehow tend to attract more spammers.

Somehow, they seem to congregate in certain forums, and even in certain threads sometimes...
Perhaps they assume one undeleted spam post means that their own spam posts are less likely to be deleted...

So... I suspect having a publicly accessible junk forum would attract more spammers... To that forum especially, but also to the rest.
spinout
i rest my case then...

i wasn't getting at the spammers but more the clueless blablabla... ones!

Well I adopt to the voting, pity