FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Most over-rated software you've used

welshsteve
What is the most over-rated software you have ever used? I mean one that people rave about but you find to be complete rubbish when you use it.

At the very top of my list is GIMP. It is the biggest bag of rubbish software I have ever had the misfortune to use. I have given this program the benefit of the doubt a few times now, and I just cannot get my head around why people rave about it.

It is clunky and difficult to use, with some features so very different from how other similar programs work. The layers feature is complete garbage, with it being seemingly impossible to simply organise layers and what is on them as you can in programs such as Photoshop. Ok, it's free, whereas photoshop is expensive. But if you're going to include a feature, at least make sure it works properly. I have a nightmare trying to create a file with two layers, with two identically sized images, one on each layer. It just wouldn't go and look as it should.

The lack of an application background is bad as well, not pleasing on the eye having whatever else you have open on your PC in the background.

I would highly recommend Paint.NET to anybody looking for a decent free image program, it is far superior to GIMP. It may not have all the features, but at least what it does have works properly, unlike the GIMP.
badai
does OS count? i don't recall any software, but if OS count, it is Windows Vista. just wasted few hundreds bucks.
Josso
FL Studio

I mean really? Renoise is cheaper for example and I think people just get scared of the interface or haven't heard of it or any other tracker software.
Marcuzzo
you should rename this topic to "things I hate about Gimp" Laughing
We all have software we don't like.
for a free and open source project, Gimp is OK.
welshsteve
Marcuzzo wrote:

LOL I have tried and tried to give it a go, but even following instructions on how to do things, it gets confusing. I just do not like it. One of the reasons I probably don't have a linux laptop anymore, as I need to do the odd bit of image work when doing web design, and GIMP seems to be the only option on linux. I've been unsuccessful in getting Paint.NET to work using Wine.
badai
Marcuzzo wrote:

not practical. first the topic is "i hate gimp". then " i hate gimp and dork no. 1 hate vista". then change again to "i hate gimp, dork no. 1 hate vista and dork no. 2 hate fl studio"

and everytime people post, he need to keep track and change the topic.

i think the best topic is "What is the most over-rated software you have ever used (Brain washed fan boys please keep away)"
Nameless
badai wrote:
does OS count? i don't recall any software, but if OS count, it is Windows Vista.

I can't recall the last time I heard somebody highly rate Vista.
welshsteve
Nameless wrote:
badai wrote:
does OS count? i don't recall any software, but if OS count, it is Windows Vista.

I can't recall the last time I heard somebody highly rate Vista.

That's because nobody ever has Laughing Laughing Laughing
Marcuzzo
Oowkey, back on topic then.
IMO, the most overrated software I ever used ( and now a lot of people will hate me Laughing ) is Firefox.
I used to LOVE firefox and I've used it for several years, until last year.
it took them 4 years to get from version 1 to version 3 and in less then 1 year they managed to get to version 8.
when version 4 came out I was kind of disapointed and with each version this disappointment started to become a frustration.

nowadays you have people saying firefox this and firefox that but I just don't like it anymore
so I switched to chrome.
If you look at the statistics on W3schools, Chrome is gaining on FF just as FF was gaining popularity over IE back in 2006.

reasons why I like Chome and don't troll me for it, these are my reasons and I honestly don't care if anybody thinks I'm wrong, are:
1. obviously because you have a browser and search engine at the same time (FF also has this but it is too freakin slow)
and who ( is born after 1979) actualy still opens a browser and goes to www.google.com to search for something, with the built-in toolbar all browsers seem to have....nobody
2. I like the design
3. is faster then FF
4. can do everything FF does but faster Laughing ( I know I said it already Razz )

EDIT:
Gimp isn't the only option you have on linux machines, I usualy use it in combination with Inkscape which is also a pretty good program
welshsteve
I too have switched from Firefox to Chrome. Firefox has become very bulky and slow. The one advantage it does still have over others is the addons. There are literally thousands of them. But I'm sure chrome will catch up soon, and hopefully with less bloated ones than with firefox. The only gripes I have with chrome are:

1. Flash has a tendency to randomly crash, although this has been less frequent recently.

2. Sound sometimes just stops working for no apparent reason and a restart of the browser is the only way to solve it.

Overall though Chrome is a far sleaker and easier to use browser.

EDIT: Just realised I've past the 1000 post mark Laughing Laughing Laughing
weableandbob
At the top of my list is definitely Gimp... I can't find one thing that I like about it. Another one is actually Ventrilo. I used to use it every day, but then I switched to a Teamspeak 3 Server. The sound quality is much better, the UI is a lot prettier, and it offers a lot more functionality. Yet, anytime I go to a public event such as PDXLAN or say that I use Teamspeak over Ventrilo, people always say I should use Vent.
Tuvitor
See, I'm the opposite. As I started on the GIMP, I have a difficult time adapting to the UI of Photoshop. I've done a LOT of work in the GIMP however. I only use Photoshop these days for those occasional little things that GIMP can't do/doesn't do well (like setting up a cover for a novel in a PDF format precise to my publisher's specifications, rare tasks like that).

That said, I'm dreading the day when the single-window version of GIMP takes over.

I can't stand Firefox. I used to love it back in the day when it was the lightweight alternative to Mozilla, but I prefer Chrome and other KHTML/Webkit browsers by far.
jcreus
welshsteve wrote:
What is the most over-rated software you have ever used? I mean one that people rave about but you find to be complete rubbish when you use it.

At the very top of my list is GIMP. It is the biggest bag of rubbish software I have ever had the misfortune to use. I have given this program the benefit of the doubt a few times now, and I just cannot get my head around why people rave about it.

It is clunky and difficult to use, with some features so very different from how other similar programs work. The layers feature is complete garbage, with it being seemingly impossible to simply organise layers and what is on them as you can in programs such as Photoshop. Ok, it's free, whereas photoshop is expensive. But if you're going to include a feature, at least make sure it works properly. I have a nightmare trying to create a file with two layers, with two identically sized images, one on each layer. It just wouldn't go and look as it should.

The lack of an application background is bad as well, not pleasing on the eye having whatever else you have open on your PC in the background.

I would highly recommend Paint.NET to anybody looking for a decent free image program, it is far superior to GIMP. It may not have all the features, but at least what it does have works properly, unlike the GIMP.

What?! It has *great* power, the thing is, (imho), programmers aren't UI designers, and it's hard to get used to it. But, once you have (like in my case), you get to know many functions which are really powerful. Layers in GIMP are amazing, or cloning. Plus, it can be scripted using Python, for example.
Peterssidan
Since this topic is mostly about GIMP I want to say I find GIMP quite good. I'm not skilled at graphics and I mostly use it to draw pixels. For that it's good enough. If it's not free it doesn't exist.
silverdown
I would have to go with Windows Versions 95,98, ME, XP and Now im onto WIN7 Laughing
Vanilla
Marcuzzo wrote:
Oowkey, back on topic then.
IMO, the most overrated software I ever used ( and now a lot of people will hate me Laughing ) is Firefox.
I used to LOVE firefox and I've used it for several years, until last year.
it took them 4 years to get from version 1 to version 3 and in less then 1 year they managed to get to version 8.
when version 4 came out I was kind of disapointed and with each version this disappointment started to become a frustration.

nowadays you have people saying firefox this and firefox that but I just don't like it anymore
so I switched to chrome.
If you look at the statistics on W3schools, Chrome is gaining on FF just as FF was gaining popularity over IE back in 2006.

reasons why I like Chome and don't troll me for it, these are my reasons and I honestly don't care if anybody thinks I'm wrong, are:
1. obviously because you have a browser and search engine at the same time (FF also has this but it is too freakin slow)
and who ( is born after 1979) actualy still opens a browser and goes to www.google.com to search for something, with the built-in toolbar all browsers seem to have....nobody
2. I like the design
3. is faster then FF
4. can do everything FF does but faster Laughing ( I know I said it already Razz )

EDIT:
Gimp isn't the only option you have on linux machines, I usualy use it in combination with Inkscape which is also a pretty good program

Same here. Everybody is like OMG I LOVE FIREFOX BEST BROWSER EVER and I'm like b*** please! I see that people now realize how slow and heavy Fx is. The fact is: I use Opera since 2005 and I KNOW that Fx is slow. In fact, I knew all along. Ok, it is a lot better compared do IE, but now you have other options! I'm happy that people now are willingly changing their browsers and searching for the faster and the more efficient ones.

I've tryed Chrome. And I'm sticking with Opera. Why? Because Chrome is still not as fast as Opera and Chrome does not block all pop-ups. Pop-ups are soooooo last decade...
hw3patch
I agree with the people who in this thread who have expressed dislike toward Firefox. I've used the latest (well, I doubt it's the latest now) version of Firefox a few weeks ago and was dissatisfied.

Firefox does not have a .hlp or a .chm file for help information. When you click help-->Firefox Help, it takes you to Firefox's support section of their website. I'm not connected to the World Wide Web continuously, so the lack of a help file hurts me a lot. It wouldn't require a lot of effort for the support HTML pages of Firefox to be included and replaced with each update, and it would only use up to, at the very most, a few megabytes of disk space.

The Refresh and Stop buttons are the same button and in a weird location (on the right side of the URL bar). If a web page is loading, it is a Stop button; if the web page has already been loaded, it is a Refresh button. The button is also smaller than normal. These characteristics are not customizable without addons. When the URL I type in has a typo, such as "http://www.frihist.com/, I want to stop loading the page immediately to avoid wasting time, bandwidth, and maybe even security. When the Stop button is tiny, that is hard to do.

Parts of the URL in the URL bar are always shaded and hard to see, and this can't be set back to normal without an addon. To make things worse, Firefox doesn't even display the protocol portion of the URL either.

Note: If you like Firefox, but don't like the recent changes, I recommend trying Mozilla SeaMonkey. It's built on the same Gecko engine and shares a lot of Firefox's code, but doesn't include the recent, controversial changes that have been made to Firefox. SeaMonkey also shares many addons with Firefox, and a lot of addons that aren't marked for compatibility with SeaMonkey are still compatible with SeaMonkey. So the addon cache of each browser is equally huge. SeaMonkey's web site is located at http://www.seamonkey-project.org.

Another program I have used that I don't like is Microsoft Word 2010. Using it helps me reminisce of the old days when I was just starting to learn how to use a word processor. I could not figure out how to do simple things such as changing the font being used or changing the spacing of the text. It uses the ribbon interface, but unlike Firefox, it cannot be set back to normal. At least it has locally stored help files.

Edit: Fixed typos
Nameless
Just for the record here, a lot of what hw3patch is saying above isn't actually true. There many additional settings that can be quickly tweaked or disabled by entering about:config into Firefox's URL bar, no add-ons required.
hw3patch
I posted a bit too rashly.

Changing browser.urlbar.trimURLs to false will cause Firefox to display the protocol in the URL bar.
Changing browser.urlbar.formatting.enabled to false will cause Firefox not to shade the URL at all.

I had trouble finding anything relating to shading the URL or not displaying the protocol of the web page when I was looking at Firefox's support pages. I did finally end up finding them on http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries.

But as far as I know, that's the only inaccurate information in my post. I didn't see any option in http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries to use a "classic" menu bar or to change the refresh/stop buttons. And if Mozilla provides a downloadable .chm or .hlp file for local help, I'd be happy to hear about it.
sanalskumar
Firefox. Takes a long time to cold start, even after clearing the history data. Chrome is faster but still i use firefox, if i have to download something or so, i mean, chrome's addon support has to improve a lot.
Nameless
sanalskumar wrote:
Firefox. Takes a long time to cold start, even after clearing the history data.

... I usually get three seconds, including loading my home page. If that counts as a long time then I would hate to meet you in a traffic jam. Very Happy
sanalskumar
Nameless wrote:
sanalskumar wrote:
Firefox. Takes a long time to cold start, even after clearing the history data.

... I usually get three seconds, including loading my home page. If that counts as a long time then I would hate to meet you in a traffic jam. Very Happy

ha ha. I have tested it in my PC. Firefox takes about 6 to 9 seconds to cold start. whereas chrome takes about 2 seconds. When compared to major browsers, firefox takes more time to cold start.

Smile
deanhills
I also find Firefox loading slowly, but only after I've cleaned my cache and turned off my computer. Once I'm up and running with it it loads quite fast.
sanalskumar
Yeah.... Even doing that, was not much helpful to me. So i simply switched to a faster browser. Smile
deanhills
sanalskumar wrote:
Yeah.... Even doing that, was not much helpful to me. So i simply switched to a faster browser. Smile
I hear Chrome may have problems with timeous refreshing that could be a real irritation when one is coding Websites. Is that still the case? Very Happy
menino
Josso wrote:
FL Studio

I mean really? Renoise is cheaper for example and I think people just get scared of the interface or haven't heard of it or any other tracker software.

I'm not sure of FL studio is overrated, but using the demo seemed a bit easy, although I do have to get to grips with fl studio, in creating music that I want.
I can tinker around with fl studio and make something good out of the blue.
sanalskumar
deanhills wrote:
sanalskumar wrote:
I hear Chrome may have problems with timeous refreshing that could be a real irritation when one is coding Websites. Is that still the case? Very Happy

Smile
Though encountered some compatibility issues with some sites, Never had any serious problems with chrome. ..
ocalhoun
My vote for most overrated?
(Bet this one's going to cause some unkind words...)
Ubuntu
People rave about it all the time... and it's always the first to be mentioned when somebody asks "what linux version is _____?"
...But really, I find it to be quite inferior to the other major distros.
No root account by default (WTF?), poor package management, poor hardware management (For someone used to SuSE, it strikes me as horribly wrong that I should have to use command line or manual file edits to do basic hardware tasks)... I just really don't get what all the fuss is about.

Marcuzzo wrote:

That would be me.
I'm all about maximizing my space to view the actual webpage, and minimizing toolbars... and the search input box takes up a lot of valuable toolbar space.

(Proudly using firefox 3.6 ^.^ I use a lot of addons -- sacrificing speed for capability -- and half of my favorite addons are not compatible with later versions.)
Tuvitor wrote:
See, I'm the opposite. As I started on the GIMP, I have a difficult time adapting to the UI of Photoshop. I've done a LOT of work in the GIMP however. I only use Photoshop these days for those occasional little things that GIMP can't do/doesn't do well (like setting up a cover for a novel in a PDF format precise to my publisher's specifications, rare tasks like that).

Me too.
I began with the gimp, and now I have the reverse problem of what people complain about...
People complain that the gimp's user interfaces is different and difficult to use...
Well, I complain that Photoshop's interfaces is different and difficult to use... but I'm not going to say it's a crappy program just because I'm not used to the interface...

So, really, most of the complaints about the gimp are more complaining about how it's different rather than how it's bad.
crystalkey
Gimp vs Photoshop?

Unless you are in the DTP business, you will find that most people find that PS has a steep learning curve. Yes, you can load up on tutorials and PS does a lot of nice things, but ....

GIMP does probably 90% of what PS does, in a smaller UI. It's not pretty, by any means, but if your business is DTP, then GIMP will serve nicely. Also, don't forget that the GIMP also comes as a portable install so you can carry your projects along with you on a stick as well.

It's a matter of preferences from lots of discussions that I have had with many people. Of course, if you are just playing around with the software and using 'versions' of PS floating around the net, then it is a matter of wanting something for nothing and whining about same ...
deanhills
I feel the same about GIMP. Although whether Photoshop is overrated I think depends on what it is used for. If one is a serious graphics person who wants to do high end graphics, then Photoshop is probably OK. For me I'm semi-serious and find I can do everything with GIMP. It is not as hungry for resources either. And there is plenty of literature on it on the Internet. I've been using it for many years now.
Navigator
Windows ME