FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem of pen drive

sudipbanerjee
when I am trying to copy some files from pen drive my computer stops to working and it hangs. This problem is occurring for a particular pen drive. I have already format it but still the problem exits. when I am using this pen drive in another machine it runs in ok condition. what is the problem? how should I solve this?
FunDa
Does it happen only on one computer ?

WHich verdion of Windows are you using ?

If u can, format the pen drive (not a quick format) from another computer and do a Disk check also on the pen drive.

Then seee if the problem is solved.

Otherwise, the problem might be with the USB port also. So try using the back _side USB port on the CPU .. Maybe its a harware failing problem
sudipbanerjee
Yes this problem occurs only one machine. Most interestingly it is occuring randomly, not all time
sonam
The reason are maybe bad sectors on pen drive and full formatting can help in this situation. But if this error come from time to time maybe you didn't sign out your pen drive from other computer. In that case the new files on this pen have logged (check properties) some other user and don't allow you to do anything with this files, and like FunDa point out if your computer have less memory then hang out.

I have similar situation ones when I copy lot of images on my external hard. I cannot log out (safety remove hardware) and I just turn off computer. Remove all electrical inputs but when I come home, few hundred km away Shocked , I cannot open this files om my computer. Access is denied.

Sonam
jdelfire
If the pen drive runs ok on another machine then obviously the problem is on the machine itself.
Every machines saves a little info on every drive that has been installed on your pc. So what we are gonna do is clean that up.

I am assuming you are using a windows OS (xp,vista,win 7)

NOTE: this requires registry editing and i suggest you do a system/registry backup before you do any changes in the registry, like anyone should always do before changing anything in the registry.
Clearing the mountpoints helped me a lot on several occassion when battling viruses and external drive issues.A disclaimer I wont be held responsible for any damages it may cause - just trying to help.

1. Run > regedit
2. go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2
3. delete the entire key by doing a right click on "mountpoints2" folder then click delete

Here is a screenshot of the mointpoints2

Just something to read on about mountpoints2

http://raylin.wordpress.com/tag/mountpoints2/
menino
I think the mountpoints2 scenario might actually be dangerous, but its probably worth a try.

My idea is to reinstall the usb driver associated with that usb disk.
How do you do this?
Well, go to run, and type devmgmt.msc - this will open up Device Manager.

Go to the end and expand Universal Bus Controller, and make a mental note of it.
Now attach your usb disk, and see which device it is installed as, - it will usually be something like usb disk or something similar, or you'll have to differentiate the new list with the mental note in your head.

Now, right click on that device, and select uninstall, and enter.

Once it is uninstalled, you remove the usb disk; at this time, its better to restart the machine and check if the usb disk is working fine now.

I think that this will work 80% for you.
nepalstar
sudipbanerjee wrote:
when I am trying to copy some files from pen drive my computer stops to working and it hangs. This problem is occurring for a particular pen drive. I have already format it but still the problem exits. when I am using this pen drive in another machine it runs in ok condition. what is the problem? how should I solve this?

If that problem happens only in one single computer then I think that problem is not related with Pen Drive but that is related with that Computer. I think that computer is infected by some Virus, some months earlier I also got same kind of problem so I install fresh copy of OS and the problem was solved. Hope this same thing is happen to you. Best of Luck...!
BadBBilly
sudipbanerjee wrote:

How did you go? Did you sort it out?

Is the isolated problem machine a laptop? Do other USB drives function correctly with this machine?

Have you tried "menino's" advice?
jdelfire
menino wrote:
I think the mountpoints2 scenario might actually be dangerous, but its probably worth a try.

How do you do this?

Go to the end and expand Universal Bus Controller, and make a mental note of it.
Now attach your usb disk, and see which device it is installed as, - it will usually be something like usb disk or something similar, or you'll have to differentiate the new list with the mental note in your head.

Once it is uninstalled, you remove the usb disk; at this time, its better to restart the machine and check if the usb disk is working fine now.

Good one Menino - I just hope the thread starter will post his feed back
I'd like to this one in action
nepalstar
menino wrote:

How do you do this?

I've tried this so many times but still I'm getting no positive result...! I'm getting this problem not just in a single computer, I've tried the same pen drive in different computer and I got the problem... so is there any other options to solve this problem...?
waiting for your reply...
Marcuzzo
Most of the times when your computer freezes when copying it means that the drive is faulty.
one time I've spent days trying figure out what was going on.
I even tried a few other computers and even different OS's... I just threw the bugger in the garbage as it was fried.
just make sure to back up your files and don't use a USB stick as the backup