FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

password protecting a directory

bluffmango
if i put a password on one of my directories, will it disable displaying of files e.g. pictures or scripts used in my webpages in my pages?....like if i dont want any 1 else to download a javascript used in my webpage to be downloaded from my javascript directory but i do want to use it on my website pages.so whats the solution???
Aelita
Use the password protection in your cpanel. Create user and password for the directory and click the lock directory check box and nobody will be able to go directly into the directory. But yes if you want then to display in your website all you have to do is link to them.
orno
use cPanel as described above (simplest way)
also see here: http://paul.rutgers.edu/cgi-docs/htpasswd.html
Bondings
People won't be able to access those images if you protect that directory with a password.

Just think of it this way, if people can view the image in their browser, then they already downloaded your image.

And yes, you can protect a directory with a password in cpanel.
Daniel15
If you put a password on a directory, the password applies to all files and directories below that one. So, if someone tries to go to a JavaScript file in the protected directory, they will get a box to type their username and password

Quote:
Just think of it this way, if people can view the image in their browser, then they already downloaded your image.

Yeah, that's true. People try so hard to protect their images, but people can just grab them from the cache. Same for JavaScripts. Any protection you try can and will be broken. In fact, people are more likely to steal your JavaScripts and images if you try to protect them.
n0obie4life
1. Right Click
2. Save Image

Tada! Your image got stolen!

There's almost no way to protect your image unless you copied this website that I know but I forgot the link.

They protect their image with 2 layers. One over each other. The layer ontop is a transparent layer, so when you right click it, you are saving the transparent layer for it.
mOrpheuS
n0obie4life wrote:
1. Right Click
2. Save Image

Tada! Your image got stolen!

There's almost no way to protect your image unless you copied this website that I know but I forgot the link.

They protect their image with 2 layers. One over each other. The layer ontop is a transparent layer, so when you right click it, you are saving the transparent layer for it.

I don't think there's a way a picture already displayed to the user window can be protected against copying.

If it's there on the browser window, it must be there on the browser temporary files directory as well.
Clear the cache -> open the page in question -> copy all images from the temp directory -> one of these is the image that you want.

Good ol' print screen works too. Wink