FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hardware or Driver problems

noliver
Hi,

When I play games that are graphics-intense ( like brothers in arms ) I get a bluescreen and the computer resets. This has been driving me crazy cause I cant seem to solve the problem.

I have installed the latest drivers for my 3d graphics card ( Radeon) and even a fresh OS ( Win XP ) and fresh DirectX. My card passes all the Directx tests (dxdiag) with no probs.

Any suggestions ?

Cheers,
Nick.
mOrpheuS
If this has never occured when you are not playing graphics intense games AND happens irrespective of which game you are playing as long as the game is graphics intensive, then the problem most likely lies in your gfx card getting overheated.

open your cabinet, unscrew a cabinet fan (you should most probably have one of those) and place/hold it right beneath your card blowing air right onto the gfx card heat sink.
Then run the heaviest games on a murderous loop for a few hours and see if the problem persists.
also try down-clocking your card's core speed by about 20-25% to see if it still crashes.

if the problem is specific to a particular game, then it might also be a compatibility issue, you should ensure you are running the latest official release of drivers and have the game patched up to the latest version.
(Also check out the game site for any known compatibility issue)

also see if the windows event log logs any error message, it might be very useful sometimes.

best of luck.
Wink
noliver
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I though about the cooling issue as well and opened the box, etc. and sprayed some coolant (freon) and even that did not change a thing.

However - this morning I think I solved it by fitting an extra power supply ( yes I frankensteined the box so that two psu's now fit in there ) and I now have a separate supply for the (4) hard drives . The motherboard and the rest run off the original supply.

So far - so good Smile

Cheers,
Nick.
ldnet
What video card do you have? And do u have enough pc ram/video ram to run the game? I used to have a SIS video card (built in) and it was the shitiest thing ever, now i got like a NVIDIA which just rox, its not the best but does its job.

-Peace.
Maka
What are your system temps like?, your gfx card getting enough cooling?, leave the case side off to test it out.
noliver
Yes, the cooling is fine ( internal watercooler just installed ) the problem was not enough power ( not enough watts) and I fixed that by modifying the box to accept a second powersupply.

Cheers,
Nick.
Twisted Evil
darknez3
Oh I can't wait until you get a power surge, see thoes babies fry like theres no tomorrow...
noliver
So much hatred towards the //\\//ick
Razz

Well due to high lightning everything is "protected" so it should not fry,
but hey, if it does - it gets replaced with newer stuff by the insurance company Smile

Twisted Evil
//\\//ick.
racer
If your video card passes all the tests, then perhaps your game has higher requirements, check if your video card is compatible with your game. I suggest try installing your game to another pc that has the same hardware specs... if it works ok them get some help from a professional may be its not just your video card or OS, your processor maybe has a defect or your motherboard.
cronic5
It sounds like a power supply problem to me. You say you have sprayed freon and it didn't help. So I would say it is a power supply problem. Especially since, when you hooked up a second power supply it worked fine. I would just suggest getting a little bigger power supply instead of hooking in a second supply. This could cause a power surge and fry everything.
frozenhead
Well, NVIDIA cards really eats a lot of power.. i also encountered that problem.. I checked it by using an Amp and Volt meter checker device and i guess its really a power supply shortage.. I decided to change my power supply that gives more power than it's minimum needs and it works fine.. so far.. Idea
blackant
Did you check out the official website of the game to find out if anyone is facing the same problem as you?

Sometimes they will release some patches for certain graphics card or the game itself. Wink