FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hard Drive Initialize

Relentless
Hey,

I have a Dell laptop running windows Vista and a 500gb hard disk drive.

I took the hard drive out to slave it in my desktop computer to do a quick back up of all files, and windows 7 disk management tool tells me that the drive has not been initialized Confused

But if I put it back into the laptop, it boots back up into Vista fine...

I have never seen the before... If I initialize it will I have access to the data or will I prevent myself further from accessing it on either device? Or am I best just using an external HDD to get it off the laptop?
--
Dan
Josso
*BEFORE FOLLOWING ANY INSTRUCTIONS BACK UP YOUR DATA*

Not sure about Windows 7 but this might help (you probably get to it in a similar way)

If I've understood your problem properly this is how I would do it in XP...

1. Open control panel
2. Open administrative tools
3. Open computer management
4. Go to storage then disk management subsection
5. See if the drive is listed on there, you may be able to right click and initilize or do it in a similar way
Relentless
Josso, you could have messaged me on msn! Laughing

The drive works fine in the laptop, Vista boots up and drive tests show healthy.

But when I slave it in my Windows 7 Desktop which I always do with hard drives.

It says the drive isn't initialized, curious if I initialize it will it prevent me putting it back into the laptop as it would wipe all the data...

Never seen this error before Sad

But, I am doing this to back up the laptops hard drive, so your advice on backing it up to initialize it was pretty redundant. So as I said, will just have to use an external HDD direct into the laptop.

Thanks
Dan.
Josso
Relentless wrote:
Josso, you could have messaged me on msn! Laughing

Ahhhh alright mate, small world - didn't recognise the username... suppose I should have seen Aylesbury and figured it out.

Relentless wrote:
The drive works fine in the laptop, Vista boots up and drive tests show healthy.

But when I slave it in my Windows 7 Desktop which I always do with hard drives.

It says the drive isn't initialized, curious if I initialize it will it prevent me putting it back into the laptop as it would wipe all the data...

Never seen this error before Sad

But, I am doing this to back up the laptops hard drive, so your advice on backing it up to initialize it was pretty redundant. So as I said, will just have to use an external HDD direct into the laptop.

Thanks
Dan.

Have you moved the hard drive solely in order to back up data? Fairly risky way of going about it Confused
If you have an external hard drive do it that way - it's slower but a hell of a lot safer.
Relentless
Haha indeed you should have.

Josso wrote:

Have you moved the hard drive solely in order to back up data? Fairly risky way of going about it Confused
If you have an external hard drive do it that way - it's slower but a hell of a lot safer.

I know, It's just... Odd.... Eh?