FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Turning Bluetooth on (Acer Aspire 4741G Laptop)

neutrino2039
I'm using an acer aspire 4741G laptop. Recently the inbuilt keyboard of this laptop was damaged due to liquid spillage and I can't use Fn + F3 combination to turn the laptop's bluetooth on. currently i'm using an external USB keyboard for typing. Does anyone know how to turn bluetooth on without replacing the inbuilt keyboard? (I'm using windows 7)
sonam
neutrino2039 wrote:
I'm using an acer aspire 4741G laptop. Recently the inbuilt keyboard of this laptop was damaged due to liquid spillage and I can't use Fn + F3 combination to turn the laptop's bluetooth on. currently i'm using an external USB keyboard for typing. Does anyone know how to turn bluetooth on without replacing the inbuilt keyboard? (I'm using windows 7)

I don't know but maybe you can try to on via Control Panel.

Sonam
Josso
All that key combination will do is trigger something in software, it should be possible just to turn it on manually.

As mentioned above try looking in control panel for anything labelled bluetooth, it might also be handy to check in my computer.
neutrino2039
Thanks for all the replies. I have already looked both in control panel and device manager. There is no sign of anything labeled Bluetooth. I even tried to manually install the Bluetooth driver once again, but without any result. The Fn + F3 combination is intercepted by an application called Launch Manager which then launches a subapplication/form to turn on/off Bluetooth. C:\Program Files\Launch Manager\LManager.exe but it just runs in the background and does nothing. I'm open to any other suggestions.
sonam
I don't know about Win7 but I am installed driver for Bluetooth few days ago on my new computer (Lenovo G560) with WinXP and Bluetooth icon is in Control Panel and right in Taskbar (where is clock, connection, volume, etc.).

When you open Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Device Manager
can you see on right side installed Bluetooth

Sonam
neutrino2039
Thanks for your reply!
The device manager is showing icon for Bluetooth bus, but is not showing one for the actual Bluetooth. I guess the Launch Manager application somehow hides the the icon when disabling Bluetooth through it. As said previously re-installing the driver has not worked for me either. No icons for Bluetooth on either the device manager or system tray has appeared after that (previously, they used to appear when turning Bluetooth on through the Launch Manager). Any other suggestions please?
sonam
If you go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services can you see something named "Bluetooth Services"? If you can are this services started. If is not start it. With double click on Bluetooth Services you can open properties and set for future Wink Startup type on Automatic.

Sonam
neutrino2039
Thanks! There is an item called Bluetooth Support Service (no other items with the word Bluetooth) with the description "The Bluetooth service supports discovery and association of remote Bluetooth devices. Stopping or disabling this service may cause already installed Bluetooth devices to fail to operate properly and prevent new devices from being discovered or associated" in the "services MMC Snap-In" which I have already started and set to automatic. This, of course, has not worked for me as everything else I have tried so far. I'm beginning to think, maybe replacing the inbuilt keyboard is my only remaining hope.
Thank you very much for all the suggestions though!
sonam
Yeah, I haven't more idea. Maybe you can search to find how to use some other key instead FN and then try to activate Bluetooth. I was try to find something and maybe you can see about this application:
http://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/
But I am not sure.
Maybe you can try to find On Screen Keyboard (some application) for your laptop. Windows XP have one similar in Accessories -> Accessibility but without FN key.

Sonam
neutrino2039
I downloaded the sharpkeys utility but couldn't find a way to override the behavior of Fn key combinations.
The On-Screen Keyboard provided by Windows 7, obviously does not help either. The Fn button in this application just turns the numeric buttons to function key buttons.
Thank you very much for your replies though!
sonam
I haven't more ideas. Your problem is little bit tricky because I am not sure are there installed Bluetooth but it is turned off or problem persist because is installed wrong driver (no icon in Control panel and no line in Services). Sad

Sonam
neutrino2039
I don't think there is any problem with the Bluetooth driver. I installed it from the resource CD that comes with the purchase of the laptop (just like I used to do previously when while re-installing my OS and have never faced such a problem).
Thanks for your reply though! Sad
sanalskumar
It has got a physical switch ON/OFF button? After installing the driver. You might have to turn it on. Then start the required bluetooth services.
neutrino2039
Thanks for all the replies. I finally decided to change my keyboard and now it is working perfectly fine.
sonam
neutrino2039 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I finally decided to change my keyboard and now it is working perfectly fine.

Great, it is good to solve this problem.

Sonam