FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do you mean by education?

baboosaa
For me education is the process of making a person know what he does not know and more important than that make him understand what i am telling him. So what's your definition for education?
asnani04
Education is about learning things that one didn't know before, or had little knowledge of. Education is a continuous process, and it ranges from bookish knowledge to learning a new art form, sport, music, oratory skills, solving problems, dealing with life's diverse circumstances, or anything that teaches us something new and worth remembering. Wink
Radar
asnani04 wrote:
Education is a continuous process

Yes. However you define education, it is not something that should stop once you finish school/uni/college. Learning ought to be a life long process, hopefully following your interests and teaching you more about life and how it works.
johans
for me, education is continuous learning. Not only for school but in your daily lives. But education foundation starts at school. After finished school that the time your foundation will be tested in our lives. good foundation means good education.
weed
i think education is burden for student wantedly forcing student to be a proffessional in there life
mm365
I think education is better and better!
johans
Quote:
I think education is better and better!

This depends on the Country or location...
therimalaya
It is a bit complex. And in some other sense, it is simple though. As you have said, it is a process of making person ready. But it also depends on a trends and necessities of a society. Most importantly, it depends on the persons perception and thinking.
bukaida
Education is enlightment. A good quality education will enlight the brain and soul of a person. The education may be formal ( school-college ) or informal (from mother nature, or at home). An education is a never ending procedure. A person learns new things till the last day of his/her life.
mukesh
According to me education is a tactics by which we can collect different types of knowledge in different field like environments, country, skills, academic, disciplines etc.

Education is everywhere and always with us. Laughing
chatrack
It is overall development of human being, spiritual, mental. social, knowledge
munizedward
Education is one of the basic activities of people in all human societies. The continued existence of society depends upon the transmission of culture to the young. It is essential that every new generation must be given training in the ways of the group so that the same tradition will continue. Every society has its own ways and means of fulfilling this need. Education has come to be one of the ways fulfilling this need.
codegeek
In my view, education consists of not only gaining knowledge but the application of that knowledge in daily life. It is actually a way to enhance life and make it worth living.
ibraltan1
The definition of education guiding mainstream schools today is that education is the delivery of knowledge, skills, and information from teachers to students. While the above metaphor—education as a delivery system—sounds reasonable, it misses what is most important about education.
This mistaken idea of what true education is and how it can be achieved is the root problem in mainstream education today.
This conception of education contributes to harming students and teachers by driving policy makers to insist on accounting for the "units" of information that students demonstrate knowledge of on tests.
The perceived need for mass scale standardized outcomes leads to a kind of instructional bookkeeping that drives administrators to control teachers' behavior, which in turn is directed to controlling students' behavior in ways that increases symptoms of anxiety, depression, and other forms of diminished psychological well-being.
Student outcomes as measured by tests bear little relationship to true education, and so the instructional bookkeeping scheme is a failure even before the harm it causes is taken into consideration.
kolaylezzet
An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't.

Anatole France
ibraltan1
Providing a proper definition of education is complicated by the fact that there is not a clear consensus about what is important about being and becoming educated.
For many people the importance of education lies in future job prospects, for others it's quality of citizenship, and yet others just want literacy, critical thinking, and/or creativity.
I propose that behind all the differences of opinion about what it means to be educated is one very basic idea: an educated person is someone who perceives accurately, thinks clearly, and acts effectively on self-selected goals.
A better understanding of what education is, one that builds upon this idea, is crucial to enable people to reason about education productively.
This will lead to more effective school reform programs and improve the everyday lives of students and teachers. A better definition of education that aligns with how many psychologists and other cognitive scientists talk about learning is "cognitive cartography," or mental mapmaking.
kolaylezzet
Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
Nelson Mandela
A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching.
A. Bartlett Giamatti
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
William Butler Yeats
Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.
Oscar Wilde
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence.
Robert Frost
Develop a passion for learning. If you do, you will never cease to grow.
Anthony J. D'Angelo
c'tair
I think education is something more than training. You can train workers and bureaucrats, but you can't train inventors, professors, makers, builders, designers.

I believe that the right idea for education is rooted in classical thought and developed during the Enlightenment. If you compare today's system with those classical ideals you'll see that today we're merely training workers.

I believe that back then education was more about creating a person. An education wasn't only about learning skills - it was also about developing a student in terms of his morals, ideals, characters. It really was about pouring humanity into a human.

Today it's basically job-training, except that it sucks at that too. Oh, sure, it works for more manual fields, but it get completely nowhere with people who actually have to create - writers, artists, programmers, architects, engineers. Sure, there's still a bunch of them who are great creators, but when you talk with them it'll become evident that most of them are self-educated, that most of what they create is based on stuff they learned on their own, outside of school, rather than in school.
ibraltan1
In order for a map to become useful, you have to know where you are and how your position relates to the points and lines on the map.
If I do an adequate job of depicting the relationships between you and 1) your current location, 2) at least one of the transportation options you have available to you, and 3) your destination, then you should be able to accomplish your goal of getting to your destination. Units are useless until 1) they are effectively related to each other, 2) the depicted relations reflect modes of change that are actually available to the learner, and 3) the learner can fit themselves into that particular picture of the world in a way the gets them where they want to be.
The key quality of educated people is the ability to move from negative states of mind to neutral or positive states of mind independent of the circumstances in which they find themselves situated.
kolaylezzet
Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.
John Dewey
Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
Will Durant
The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.
Albert Einstein
The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
Aristotle
He who opens a school door, closes a prison.
Victor Hugo
A human being is not attaining his full heights until he is educated.
Horace Mann
Education is the key to unlock the golden door of freedom.
George Washington Carver
Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army.
Edward Everett
An educated person is one who has learned that information almost always turns out to be at best incomplete and very often false, misleading, fictitious, mendacious - just dead wrong.
Russell Baker
It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense.
Robert Green Ingersoll
Smile
ibraltan1
I believe, positive states of mind are objectively the most productive states to be in and provide the best quality of life as well.
Moving from one state of mind to another is the most elementary lesson that can be taught.

The primary topic that elementary education is properly concerned with is the human mind.

Children need to learn to navigate the terrain of their own minds so that they can effectively navigate the real world and the challenges that confront that mind.

Therefore, what is elementary in elementary school is gaining control over your own behavior (both mental and physical) and learning to coordinate your behavior with others.
The most fundamental lesson of elementary school is governance of behavior, our own and other people's.

The mastery of our own individual behavior requires us to realize that just because we think something, it doesn’t make it so.
Our minds, especially when we are children, are highly productive illusion machines. Cool
subhan1
the power which can change an animal into a human!
twotrophy
Education to me is just learning anything whether is it good or bad. It can be learning things in school or simply just learning about world news on television. In fact, even reading some threads on Frihost will teach you something. Therefore, education is everywhere and people should appreciate good information. One should also put his or her knowledge for good use. I have also seen the opinions of other posters on this thread, some of then are quite nice and sensible.
kmr_mukund
education is a process of learning good thing.education means using this person can learn how good he can manage his life,how he can behave with different-different person.
Possum
Education starts when you leave School /Uni that's when you begin to learn..
ibraltan1
Can we define education through its aim? Each individual has an opinion about what the aim of education should be, not only in classroom but also in school in general. Many issues occur when differing opinions about the purpose of education collide. It is important to recognize that other people, including many of coworkers, administrators, and students' parents might have a different point of view concerning what education should be all about. We can list different aims of education that individuals might espouse. First it is the knowledge to get by. This old school belief holds that school is important in providing students with the knowledge they need to get by in their day-to-day lives. They need to know how to read, write, and do arithmetic. Even though these core topics form the foundation of a student's education, most educators today would probably not agree that this should be the extent of a student's school career.
kolaylezzet
Knowledge of subject matter being taught is one of the most important factor in education. The purpose of education to some teachers is to impart knowledge about the subject matter they are teaching without much thought to other classes. When taken to the extreme, these teachers focus on their own subject matter as being more important than what students are learning in other classes. For example, teachers who are unwilling to compromise their own subject matter for the good of the students can cause problems for the school at large. When a school tries to implement some projects, it can be push back from a couple of teachers who were not willing to change their lessons to include cross curricular activities. So as in the case of many other aspects of life, in order to overcome crises that could be the outcome of prevalent understanding it is not easy to revolutionize established structure. The amount of effort required to improve the situation is so high that to encounter someone who has enough amount of energy is a rare case.
Possum
Frihost is my educator..

I mean that.. you guys are great
ibraltan1
The task of becoming an adult is mastering the process of disillusionment, the process of uncovering mistaken and/or ineffective thought patterns.
By the time children are of school age, they have many ideas about themselves and the world based on a combination of the way their brains were built and how their experiences have shaped that building process.
Young children live in a magical realm in which thinking makes things happen.
The popular success of The Secret, a motion-picture-length infomercial on the power of positive thinking, shows that magical thinking is not limited to children.
Throughout our lives, we build up a vast repertoire of mostly unconscious concepts about both the world and our own minds.
Unfortunately, many of those concepts are inappropriate for the purposes we have today.
They may have been perfectly adequate for the purposes of our hunter/gatherer ancestors, but our society has become too complex to navigate with the relatively simple understandings that worked in the deep past.
kolaylezzet
No one has yet realized the wealth of sympathy, the kindness and generosity hidden in the soul of a child. The effort of every true education should be to unlock that treasure.
Emma Goldman

The only person who is educated is the one who has learned how to learn and change.
Carl Rogers

Children have to be educated, but they have also to be left to educate themselves.
Ernest Dimnet

Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Malcolm Forbes

Data is not information, information is not knowledge, knowledge is not understanding, understanding is not wisdom.
Clifford Stoll

The subject of education is very important. It determines values of an individual, helps finding a way of make a living. It illuminates the difference between what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. So nobody can afford not to be educated. But any kind of source could be a way of education. There is no need to a formal structure. What is necessary is someone who desires to learn. Smile
ibraltan1
In my opinion, the eternal moral challenge of living as a responsible adult is to persistently inquire into how our concepts mislead us into causing our own and other people's suffering.
One of the most remarkable examples of this is Allan Greenspan's admission before the U.S. Congress that his ideas about the economy failed to anticipate it’s actual behavior and, in essence, caused the financial crisis of 2008.
Greenspan acted with complete confidence in his mental model despite evidence that had been accumulating since the 1970's in the field that has become known as behavioral economics that some of the fundamental assumptions of his model, such as the assumption that people always act rationally when making economic decisions, are incorrect. As we know, this caused millions to be unhappy.
The way that we rise to meet the moral challenge of adulthood is by examining how our own mind deceives us through practicing empathy for the states of mind we cause in others by our actions and actively taking responsibility for preventing and alleviating suffering in every way we can. Not easy but necessary.
ibraltan1
If we conssider deeply, magical thinking and using the goodness of our intentions to justify ignoring the results of our actions are forms of illusion that perpetually inhibit the fullest expression of our moral values.
I have no doubt that Allan Greenspan had very good intentions behind the decisions that he and his colleagues made as they managed the U.S. Federal Reserve system, but they relied on the goodness of their intentions and ignored the actual human results of their actions for so long that the consequences became monumental. Illusions are a mismatch between the way the world is and a part of how we cognitively map that world.
Therefore consciousness is very important. Smile
picasaz
For me the education at any level means to learn how to learn. IF you know how to learn then you sure are able to apply your learning on your life. Also this is not just about getting some piece of papers called degree but real education teaches you how to live and understand humanity.
duytam28
For me, if people are educated , they can see the value of a good idea, even if it seems undesireable on the surface, like the need to pay more taxes if there really is one. They can understant the argument. Leading implies that you have willing followwers.

But if you wish to deceive them, to take them where they wouldn't other wise go, being educated makes them harder to do this to.

Bush wanted to take America to war and gave weak arguments in support of it that most of the world rejected, such as insisting that there were WMDs that Hans Blix and the UN said were not there, or that Hussein was in league with all Q'aeda when it was common knowledge that they were enemies. But the unsophisitcated and nonanalytical American people swallowed it easily. When france and Germany would not, Americans were incensed. The Americans were comparatively easy to drive and enslave, but the French and Germans avoiding that wth common sense.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but it's history now, not opinion, and it's a perfect example for this question
Bikerman
I sympathise with the idea, but it is wrong, unless you think that the UK was equally undereducated - and discernibly different in that regard than France. It isn't.
Blair also wanted to go - so we went. About 1.2 million of us marched through London with banners saying Blair was lying - it made no difference.

France has a different tradition - not more or less intellifgent or educated - just different.The French like to define themselves as not being us (and even more in terms of not being US). It was no shock to see the French take an opposite stance to the US/UK (aside from it's extensive commercial and political interests in the countries in question).

Germany is different again - they COULDN'T go to war - against their constitution. Germans, for some strange reason, are quite wary about going to war on a national scale....wonder why? Smile

The notion that an educated population can temper the stupidities of the state as a whole has some merit, but it us not straightforward. America has different problems. I've actually been asked by an American, when touring around LA, whether Ireland was in England and what Language the French speak. So I guess my point is that, in matters of geography - including the geopolitics that goes with it - the US population is not on the same page as the Europeans. That is not meant to be insulting and there is a very good explanation of this which doesn't rely on stupid populations. The US was, until WW2, militarily insignificant. I mean REALLY...Why? \Because it has two massive stretches of water stopping bad guys getting too close. That was US defence policy in the 19th century and into the 20th - ignore them, they can't touch us.
Only with the development of serious air power did that change. So one can quite see how many US citizens are not overly familiar with the rest of the globe.
lcfalondon
Education is the first way to learn how can we manage our life with other living people . It is help us to know what is good or bad .Our education on events is done informally through creative techniques so your children will not be sitting in a classroom as they do at school.
ibraltan1
One of the aims of education is to desire to create thoughtful citizens that is held by many people, particularly within the greater community. Students will in the future be important building stones of the social structure and they are in the need of talents to exist within that community as citizens which are able to think independently. For instance, they could make choice during elections that would affect the fate of whole society. This skill is related to another important one which is gaining self confidence and esteem. Students must feel confident about their learning abilities. Certainly, nobody wants to see individuals with inflated self esteem. It is clear that if something exceeds its limit turns out be something resulting in the opposite end and became harmful. Producing losers, sheepish, crushed people through educational system belongs to dictatorship kind of countries whose only aim mass production of obedient citizens and civil servants. But those kinds of countries are only able to exist if they accept to be undeclared slave or colony of powerful states whose educational system produce citizens with self esteem.
spinout
Education is filling up your memory! Right or wrong doesn't matter, it is just filling up.
The downside is that education have a "best before"-date, you loose memory over time. But the upside is that if you relearn something you can do it 3 times as fast.

If you do have to remember something for life tha ways can be brutal, there is a story that sons of farmers in the past needed to know their land boundaries and to make them remember that for life there was a big spanking (bloody) at every landmark.
ethan_brown
In very simple words education means gaining knowledge about a particular Topic or issue or subject.
Bikerman
No, it doesn't. That could be training, indoctrination, or a number of other things. Education is more.
Lit. E Duco - lead out, or lead from - as in lead out of the darkness of ignorance and into the light. Learning 'stuff' is part of that. but not the whole thing.
spinout
In swedish, the word for education is "out-picturing" in a direct translation. So it was as Bikerman comment I suppose. Today it is different if one study the Swedish lexicon, it is described as "the process". It is the forms of the process, and it is a big varity,,, long list. From military brain washing to private schools with strange methods.
Bikerman
Much sense there. Certainly one of the key challenges we face as educators is equipping our students to be able to filter sense from nonsense, science from pseudo-science. This is doubly difficult even more critical in a world where the internet brings an unimaginable amount of information, and misinformation, within reach of everyone.
Iceaxe0410
My definition of education is learning new information. It doesn't have to be useful or important, just information that you didn't know before. That's one thing about education I don't always like about. To one person, some information may be important or useful. For others, it's a burden forced on them because they have to learn something they aren't interested in or will never have a use for.

Take calculus for example. I've taken calculus for two years and not once did I ever use it again. One has to wonder if teaching in depth subjects is really something that should be done in modern day education.

I understand that broadening your horizons is generally favored since it will possibility help you in some way in the future, but when you consider the vast amount of information that is discovered and added on to existing information we have now, one would assume that it would take longer and longer to learn everything.

I think the next step would be to start specializing information in schools. Have kids learn about introductory courses to a wide variety of subjects early on. Find out what they excel at and what interests them. Then have them just continue in those specialized fields. Have accelerated courses for those that change their minds. This instead of forcing every topic on them all the way until they are in college. Even in college, there are general education requirements. Many students are forced to take courses they have no interest in. I think it's a waste sometimes, but that's just my opinion.
spinout
Back in the days as a teacher I had 2 main directives:
1. A minimum that MUST be fulfilled for each student.
2. There are no bad students, only bad teachers.

This is quite different than today, I think, in sweden. - Today it is a grading at very early age of each student that is the motivator... and there is a big database that the schooldepartment holds for each student mapping progress in every aspect of a subject. Teachers work overtime for administrations... And a new system of grading the teachers is here... That means a teacher near retirement are done teaching in their major subject if they don't have a new fancy schooling of a couple of years extra in the CV...
Consequence; students leave school without basic knowledge. Upon that the schooldep eliminated chances of grown-up schooling with closing those schools, since their new system was so good those wasn't needed...

The new shitty Sweden...
spinout
An anecdote:
My dad was a superbeing in a way. He could lift more than his own weight straight up from the ground with one arm, for example. Never beaten is a street fight, he was faster than Bruce Lee. He has every army atlethic medal there was to get it Sweden. Every argue was solved by a fight, he had always right since he won all the time... He was a pretty good mechanic, learned it in the BAHCO tooling shop in the 60s, outside of that he don't have any education. He knows how to read very poorly and have only read one book in his life; the memorandum of Cassius Clay. He went through the mandatory 9 years in the bench here in Sweden. All schooling is blank, he didn't care. But he knows one thing from school: Singular/Plural. The Latin (?) words for one and many. How did he learn that???? I asked him once. He said the teacher thought the whole class were completely stupid so in punishment the teacher held up one finger yelling "singular" and then held up all fingers yelling "Plural" and doing that over n over for a complete hour. Laughing
spinout
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njKwwBRVhPg

15 mins in Dave Grohl explains what education is... Well, just like the sweedish definition. Still, too, I think you should do it like my dad needs it too. Laughing
ibraltan1
Overcoming elimination, achieving a desired level in a society, achieving prestige, money and power are basic instincts of human kind. In order to get these targets qualified education is the greatest instrument. As we contemplated, many philosopher thought about this subject and they developed philosophies of education which is a normative theory "propound views regarding what education ought to be, what inclinations it ought to cultivate, why it have to be compelled to cultivate them, however and in whom it ought to do thus, and what forms it ought to take." Major philosophies of education in the world are essentialism, perennialism, political theory, social reconstructionism, essential theory, and philosophical doctrine. These philosophies are educated by philosophical views of idealism, realism, pragmatism, philosophical doctrine, and postmodernism; political ideologies of liberalism, conservativism, and Marxism; furthermore as by the views of experimental psychology, cognitivism, humanism, and artistic movement from psychological science and education.
ibraltan1
For Perennialists, the target of education is to make sure that students obtain understandings concerning the big thoughts of Western civilization. These thoughts have the potential for solving troubles in any period. The focal point is to educate ideas that are eternal, to search for lasting truths which are steady, not changing, as the usual and human worlds at their most crucial stage, do not change. Training these ageless values is vital. Humans are coherent beings, and their minds need to be developed. Thus, nurturing of the brains is the highest main concern in a meaningful teaching. The difficult syllabus focuses on attaining civilizing literacy, stressing students' development in permanent disciplines. The loftiest actions of humanity are emphasized– the enormous works of literature and fine art, the laws or philosophy of knowledge. Advocates of this enlightening way of life are Robert Maynard Hutchins who developed a Great Books plan in 1963 and Mortimer Adler, who additionally developed this syllabus based on 100 big books of western accomplishment.
ibraltan1
Essentialists consider that there is an ordinary center of information that needs to be transmitted to students in a methodical, closely controlled way. The prominence in this conventional viewpoint is on rational and ethical values that schools should educate. The heart of the syllabus is crucial information and skills and scholastic strictness. Even if this enlightening viewpoint is alike in some aspects to Perennialism, Essentialists believe the thought that this central part syllabus may modify. Education should be realistic, preparing students to turn out to be precious members of humanity. It should concentrate on facts -the objective truth out there- and "the fundamentals," preparation of the students to examine, write, talk, and calculate unmistakably and sensibly. Schools must not try to set or manipulate policies. Students should be qualified hard work, value for power, and regulation. Teachers are to assist students continue their non-useful instincts in check, such as anger or silliness. This kind of understanding was in response to progressivist approaches widespread in the 1920s and 30s.
ibraltan1
Progressivists consider that teaching ought to center on the complete youngster, rather than on the syllabus or the educator. This instructive viewpoint stresses that students be supposed to check thoughts by dynamic testing. Education is deep-seated in the questions of students that come up throughout experiencing the life. It is dynamic, not inert. The student is a problem solver and intellectual who makes sense through his or her personal understanding in the physical and civilizing background. Useful teachers present experiences so that learners can gain knowledge by doing. Syllabus content is resulting from learner interests and questions. The methodical technique is used by progressivist teachers so that students can study subject and events analytically and directly. The prominence is on practice-how one comes to gain knowledge. The Progressive learning viewpoint was recognized in America from the mid 1920s through the mid 1950s. John Dewey was its leading supporter. One of his creeds was that the training should progress the way of living of our society through experiencing liberty and democratic system in schools. Joint decision making, preparation of teachers with learners, student-selected subjects are all features.
ibraltan1
The everlasting ethical test of living as an accountable mature is to determinedly query into how our concepts give the wrong impression us causing our own and other people's pain. One of the most outstanding instance of this is Allan Greenspan's admission before the U.S. Congress that his thoughts about the economy unsuccessful to foresee it’s real performance and, in core, caused the economic disaster of 2008.Greenspan took action with full self-confidence in his rational model in spite of the proof that had been accumulating from the time when the 1970's in the field that has come to light as behavioral economics that some of the essential suppositions of his model, such as the postulation that people constantly take action reasonably when building economic resolutions, are wrong.The way that we grow to meet the ethical test of maturity is by examining how our own brain misleads us through practicing sympathy for the states of brain we cause in others by our procedures and dynamically taking accountability for avoiding and lessening pain in every method we are capable of.
Iceaxe0410
I suppose my definition of education would be to expand a person's understanding of the world so they are able to survive on their own. This may be information about history, science, math, english, or any number of different subjects, but not necessarily all of them. Just the subjects that the person will have a use for in their lifetime. The main point is that they are capable of thinking for themselves and solving problems on their own. It's one thing to go through the motions and just memorize figures or information that you never will think about again. It's another to provide the groundwork for these people to solve problems and understand the way things work so they can make decisions on their own. To me that is education.
ibraltan1
By their very nature, human being is curious. The aim of education must be to give confidence in search of answers, as it is in this way that we go forward. We must search to make easy this progression of information, and the focal point of teaching philosophy must be reasoned thinking. People who are in the teaching position must have the goal of heartening people in the classroom to think in rational way with the intention that this approach can be used in other, different circumstances. Rather than sheer memorization of details, teachers for the most part must put emphasis on learning to contemplate about general trends and ideas. With the purpose of further give confidence in search of answers to the problems around us, Teachers must try to hearten the questions themselves. All educators must do in this way, but it is hard to "give the time" for this to have effect, particularly in a classroom environment. One method of the method of doing this is to plan a course founded on answering questions.
fuzzkaizer
scrolling through this thread there are two things that seem essential to me, concerned education:
1. education has to be distinguished rigorously from training, brainwash and other kinds of obtaining capabilities and knowledge, which do NOT aim at the maturing, individualisation or growing autonomy (and so on) of the students.
2. education is to learn how to learn, to be able to teach oneself and maybe also others, to find pleasure in learning-processes, and so on... it has not only economic, but also social, estetic, ethic, spiritual, politic, medical,... layers - the more the better...
deanhills
Found this interesting interesting and thoughtful approach to a definition of education by Don Berg:

Quote:
I propose that behind all the differences of opinion about what it means to be educated is one very basic idea: an educated person is someone who perceives accurately, thinks clearly, and acts effectively on self-selected goals.

A better understanding of what education is, one that builds upon this idea, is crucial to enable people to reason about education productively.

This will lead to more effective school reform programs and improve the everyday lives of students and teachers.

Source: http://www.teach-kids-attitude-1st.com/definition-of-education.html

He has a YouTube Video Library. This one "An educated person" provides more information on his approach to education:

fuzzkaizer
deanhills wrote:
Quote:

This will lead to more effective school reform programs and improve the everyday lives of students and teachers.

This point I might doubt. Just to simplify the whole stuff about why, I'm going to tell a story:
This idea of education (which I certainly do approve) is nothing new, at least in Europe it has quite a long tradition that started maybe even before the Enlightenment or Humanism in the age or Renaissance.
It's goals were things like freedom and democracy, so it's enemies were naturally the leading forces of society (by then the Aristocracy and the Catholic Church), because they their top position was endangered.
Well, we know how things went, things like the French Revolution or the U.S. Constitution we owe to this tradition, which is essentially connected with such an idea of education.
Nowadays many states are named 'democracy', while this just is a nice name and a big part of the people are not educated enough to take part in political decisions. So still there are leading forces of society, instead of Aristocracy and Religion it is now (pardon my looseness) Economy and Populism (which introduces sort of a catch-as-can against fair play into the democratic arena). Again, these forces are not interested in educated people, while still economy accepts the necessity of schools, for it needs well trained human ressources.
That's why school and university reforms nowadays rather move away from education towards training, although enough is known about the difference.
But maybe we shall better be optimistic? What is the difference between education and training for example in China?
ibraltan1
Quote:
Real Education: Four Simple Truths for Bringing America's Schools Back to Reality is a 2008 book by Charles Murray He composed the book to challenge the "Instructive sentimentalism asks a lot from understudies at the base of the scholarly heap, asks the wrong things from those in the center, and asks too little from those at the top." Murray guarantees that there are "four straightforward truths" about instruction: "Ability differs." ,"Half of the kids are underneath normal." ,"Too numerous individuals are heading off to college.","America's future relies on upon how we teach the scholastically talented. Critic Michael J. Feuer, notwithstanding Murray's "'four basic truths'" likewise sees "a just as shortsighted proposition: ... [that] privatization will settle the schools."At the point when New York Times questioner Deborah Solomon said, "I trust that given the open door, the vast majority could do most anything," Murray reacted, "You're distant with reality in such manner." Times pundit Charles McGrath protects the current instructive framework. But then for all its messiness, the present game plan appears to be desirable over what Mr. Murray proposes: an immense arrangement of confirmation exams whereby as opposed to attending a university and sitting through courses ever, you bone up on your picked calling — law, bookkeeping, social work, whatever — and breeze through a test. This would doubtlessly offer ascent to a pack school industry that would diminutive person even the present SAT-prep business and that, similar to the SAT, would unreasonably compensate the well off and those sufficiently smart to diversion the framew

MODERATOR - use quotes around quoted material, and always include your own content
-Ankhanu
Ronaldr
It is not easy to find a solution for such a global problem on which people do not have a common understanding. Beside this education inevitably have regional or local characteristics. Unvarying values throughout different societies are rare to find.
ibraltan1
Education is a procedure of welcoming truth and probability. It can be characterized as the savvy, confident and deferential development of learning attempted in the conviction that all ought to have the opportunity to partake in life. When discussing training individuals regularly mistake it for educating. Numerous consider spots like schools or universities while seeing or listening to the word. They may likewise look to specific occupations like educator or guide. The issue with this is while hoping to individuals takes in, the way a considerable measure of schools and instructors work is not as a matter of course something we can legitimately call training. They have picked or fallen or been pushed into "educating" – attempting to penetrate learning into individuals as per some arrangement regularly drawn up by others. It must not be making stores of information. Such "educating" rapidly plummets into treating learners like articles, things to be followed up on instead of individuals to be identified with. There must be some quality characteristics of education that would be helpful globally.
Ronaldr
What do you think that are the features of such an understanding? Can we get a base of thought for such a universal approach?
ibraltan1
Education, as we comprehend it here, is a procedure of welcoming truth and probability, of urging and offering time to revelation. It is a social procedure of living and not an arrangement for future living. In this perspective instructors hope to act with individuals rather on them. Their assignment is to evoke to bring out or create potential. Such training is must ponder and confident. It is learning we set out to make happen in the conviction that individuals can 'be more' the second particular of instruction ought to be educated, conscious and savvy. Education must be a procedure of welcoming truth and plausibility. Last, but not least education must be grounded in a longing that at all may prosper and partake in life. It is an agreeable and comprehensive action that hopes to individuals to experience their lives and in addition they can. Maybe these ideas could be common minimal traits for a useful educational system that would make any society happier and more prosperous.
Ronaldr
According to the news, the framework for making new school places in England is divided and befuddling, risking mischief to kids' instruction, head educators have cautioned.
ibraltan1
There have been various endeavors to streamline school affirmations in England lately, for example, presenting a solitary application due date and a solitary offers day. In a similar way, the School Admissions Code has likewise been fixed. Before, the designation of most by far of school spots was administered by nearby powers, in view of school affirmations criteria. In any case, with such a large number of institutes, free schools and establishment schools now controlling their own confirmations, matters have turned out to be more entangled. At the moment, it is not simply church schools which require supplementary data frames, yet a large portion of these different schools too. Even if all schools need to distribute their confirmations criteria on sites, these can be hard for folks to translate. As a matter of fact, key data on the odds of getting a spot, which folks need to consider while settling on their decisions, can once in a while just be acquired by calling around various schools.
Ronaldr
A few families applying today will go straight on to a holding up rundown with no offer of any school puts, and taking off quantities of youngsters will keep on being packed into continually growing classes.
ibraltan1
Even though nearby chambers, which have an obligation to guarantee places for each qualified tyke, pass on the points of interest of offers of spots to folks, they do not have the ability to make new schools. What is more, with spots hard to find in numerous territories, the weight is keeping on mounting on the confirmations framework. Officials said there should have been a neighborhood office with "oversight and clout" to work close by nearby powers and ensure there were school places where they were required. An excess of zones where kids were at present being pressed into classrooms, taught in mobiles, taught in passages, and that is not adequate. On the other hand, it is clear that new free schools must be found where there was a requirement for school places, not exactly at the impulse of a gathering that need to construct a free school in a zone where there is as of now limit. In my opinion, the real responsibility is on the government.
Ronaldr
Albeit nearby councils, which have an obligation to guarantee places for each qualified youngster, pass on the points of interest of offers of spots to folks, they don't have the ability to make new schools. What's more, with spots hard to find in numerous regions, the weight is keeping on mounting on the confirmations framework.
ibraltan1
The officials cautioned "over-extending limit" could bring about instructing quality to drop and called attention to the administration's own particular figures recommended no less than 200 thousand more essential and 80 thousand more optional spots would be required inside of five years. In Scotland boards as a rule partition urban communities, towns and provincial zones into catchment ranges, with kids in every catchment region as a rule going to the same neighborhood school, assigned by the committee. In any case, Parents likewise have the privilege to express an inclination for an alternate school and the chamber should generally suit this if there are sufficient spots there. In Wales, folks apply to nearby powers for spots at group and deliberate controlled schools and should list schools all together of inclination. Kids whose folks have communicated inclinations for specific schools get need. Youngsters may not get a spot at their closest school if their guardians have not communicated an inclination for it. For spots at establishment schools folks should now and then apply direct to the school.
pcpolytechnic
Education should be first priority of human beings. It Helps people to stand in the society with heads high.Educated people are the most powerful factor of economic growth of our nation.Educated people adapts the newer techniques for productivity.Education is necessary.
amagard
baboosaa wrote:
For me education is the process of making a person know what he does not know and more important than that make him understand what i am telling him. So what's your definition for education?

Telling a person something is one form of education, but not the most efficient one. More efficiently people learn through experiences, preferably negative experience, thus by making mistakes ( see for instance "Change Your Definition of Failure: It's How You Get Better" )

Elbert Hubbard said: "There is no failure except in no longer trying." Which aligns with: education is a continuous effort. And thus needs patience. Nicely put by Winston Churchill: "Success in life is determined by your ability to go from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."

Henry Ford said: "Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently." Which is part of education: to do things again and again and become better.

And: you probably learn better with your hands than with your ears.
loveandormoney
Everything
U do
what an animal cannot do
is education
like singing or dancing.
deanhills
loveandormoney wrote:
Everything
U do
what an animal cannot do
is education
like singing or dancing.
You mean animals can't be educated? So what would your definition of education be?
loveandormoney
A human can educate an animal.
An animal can make an human jump. No.
Education cannot be done by an animal.
But
the dog barks
and mother is jumping to the supermarket to buy bones
this is not the way of natural education.
deanhills
loveandormoney wrote:
A human can educate an animal.
An animal can make an human jump. No.
But
the dog barks
and mother is jumping to the supermarket to buy bones
this is not the way of natural education.
So what happens with animals in a circus?
loveandormoney
Does the lion teach?
U can teach as human a lion to dance with a sheep.
Da Rossa
When I first studied a subject named "Introduction to Education" at University of Brasília, the professor told me education is the process in which society builds their individuals according to the former's interests. Now I see that definition is incomplete at the best. First, because there is no such "entity" called "society". Second, an individual can very well educate itself according to his/her own interests. That definition, which I don't know the authorship, seems to be centered in the massive school model. But what about the self learners and home schoolers? Ok, a father teaching his children is still driven by a social need, but I'm not sure this fits perfectly.
loveandormoney
Quote:
the process in which society builds their individuals according to the former's interests

This is only a part of education.
But its not education.
Example: Mother shows You: Apple good for eat wood bad for eat.
amagard
loveandormoney wrote:

You never owned a cat, did you ? Actually nobody owns a cat, the cat owns you.
loveandormoney
Cat?

Do we watch Tom and Jerry?
Was it a Joke.

Ok
is this a serious discussion?

Yes?
Thank You.
Here we go.

We visit a house.
On the couch of the living room a dog name Wow is sitting on the couch.
We or I
lets say I
come nearbuy the couch and the dog is angry with me
cause
dog does now: That human will sit on MY place. Show him fireeyes.
Owner of the dog said: Give him a dogcake and he ll leave.

I told the dog with soft words how to leave and the dog left.

But who is education
a dog is leaving a place
paid by a dogcake?