FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Date filtering of 'Similar topics'

speeDemon
I was just reading a recent post, and when i scrolled down, the similar posts section caught my eye. I pressed a link, and started reading. The topic had only 5-7 posts, and after reading through the entire lot, and thinking about something that I thought could be interest and would add to the discussion, I looked up and saw that the last post was from 2005.

So I was just thinking, that maybe a time/date filter should be applied so that people get redirected to current related topics, rather than 6 year old ones, that's a real turnoff.
Dementei
Bump the topic anyway, it's okay someone else will come bump it with you.
Nameless
Don't, because half of anybody else posting in the necro'd thread will miss the fact that it's been necro'd and attempt to converse or argue with the original posters who could quite plausibly and literally be dead by this point.

Yes, the related topics needs a date filter.
adri
Nameless wrote:
Yes, the related topics needs a date filter.

It depends on what the user wants. For example: If I'm searching on frihost for a certain solution of a problem, then age doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is that you get relevant topics that may contain a solution.

Also, there are some topics that are timeless in a way that the topic starter just wanted a discussion on a certain topic. Should they be left out? Probably not, because even 4 or 5 years later, a user can restart the discussion if he or she wants to add certain things (maybe based on recent events). (It's better than recreating a duplicate topic on the same topic)

adri
Ghost Rider103
I'd have to agree with Adri here.

A time filter for the similar topics has actually been discussed before. Some topics are "timeless" as Adri has mentioned. So knocking out the older topics might not do any good.

However, I suppose if people start recreating new topics that haven't been posted since 2005 or 2006 it definitely wouldn't hurt.

The more posts we generate the better.

Posting multiples of the same topic isn't always a bad thing, as long as there isn't duplicates over a short period of time. Otherwise it's too repetitive.

So I guess this could really benefit either way.