FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Python - Tkinter

davidv
http://docs.python.org/library/tkinter.html#module-Tkinter

Quote:
The Tkinter module (“Tk interface”) is the standard Python interface to the Tk GUI toolkit. Both Tk and Tkinter are available on most Unix platforms, as well as on Windows systems. (Tk itself is not part of Python; it is maintained at ActiveState.)

I'm not really one for guis however I do want to learn about and it would make things a lot easier for an application I'm developing right now. Has anyone had any experience with Python's Tkinter module?
jcreus
davidv wrote:
http://docs.python.org/library/tkinter.html#module-Tkinter

Quote:
The Tkinter module (“Tk interface”) is the standard Python interface to the Tk GUI toolkit. Both Tk and Tkinter are available on most Unix platforms, as well as on Windows systems. (Tk itself is not part of Python; it is maintained at ActiveState.)

I'm not really one for guis however I do want to learn about and it would make things a lot easier for an application I'm developing right now. Has anyone had any experience with Python's Tkinter module?

I have had very little experience, I find PyGTK far more better. I find Tk pretty simple, but for non-complex GUIs it's OK. Anyway, there are tons of others, such as PyQT, wxWidgets, GTK... which are (IMHO) more used and hence have more support.
davidv
I done a little bit more research on Python GUI. WxPython is pretty good. I think I'll play with that instead of Tkinter.
amagard
davidv wrote:
I done a little bit more research on Python GUI. WxPython is pretty good. I think I'll play with that instead of Tkinter.

I started with wxPython recently and agree: pretty cool ! It is real object oriented and with the help of the demo package (which you can get from here) it is easy to figure out all sorts of things you can do with it.

I like the straight forward way how to write GUI code, and some concepts are awesome, like the concept of sizers for instance. Gosh, I remember when dealing with Microsoft Foundation Class many years ago... what a messy code and over-complicated way to implement GUIs !
Stay_Classy
Are you trying to develop this cross-platform application? If it's windows only, I would suggest using SharpDevelop and IronPython.

If it is, good luck to you.
jgsedi
Hi, i have some experience with python and tkinter. The main advantage of tkinter is it is bundled with python. If python is there tkinter is there too.

There are much more GUI kits:

- wxPython:
I agree wxPython is pretty cool, but the tutorials for wx are rare.
- pygtk:
i think is simpler to learn but now some changes are going to come (Gtk 3...)
- pyQT:
problems with license
- kivy:
a **VERY** interesting GUI-Toolkit but also very different from
all other GUI-Toolkits i learned before

If i develop a simple GUI-Tool so i use Tkinter, no trouble at deployment. I developed a bigger Tool in pyGtk - its easy, but as i wrote some changes will come in near future.

For future projects i will use kivy...
katinka
I have a little experience with Tkinter. I also recommend it if you travel a lot between platforms. I like it that things look about the same on very different computers.
I also think this one is (relatively) easy to understand. Part of that is because it it packaged with Python and the accompanying documentation.
jestoy0514
I do use tkinter as well. It is quite nice and very easy to understand.But if you want a full pledge gui toolkit I suggest PySide.