FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

One Hour to Impact: the hypersonic bomb

quex
To reestablish terms, supersonic applies when you can fly faster the speed of sound, which is 340.29 m/s at sea level (so, a little bit less at flight altitude). That's 1,236 kph, or, for my American peers, 768 mph. Imagine crossing the length of a football field in significantly less than a second. Damn.

You don't get to call something hypersonic until it can fly more than FIVE TIMES that fast. That's 6,180 kph, or 3,840 mph. New York to LA in about 50 minutes.

Makes THIS sound a lot scarier, doesn't it?

PS: By the numbers, the project hopes to have a weapon capable of hitting anywhere on the earth within one hour. That means speeds in excess of mach 15.
ocalhoun
quex wrote:

PS: By the numbers, the project hopes to have a weapon capable of hitting anywhere on the earth within one hour. That means speeds in excess of mach 15.

I doubt they'll manage that...

Getting to speeds like that is incredibly difficult and expensive to do without adding in any significant payload.

If they want the ability to put bombs on demand anywhere around the world quickly, I think a system of orbital platforms capable of dropping bombs (or simple inertia-based missiles) through the atmosphere would be the best bet.
(Of course, those pesky non-weaponization-of-space treaties get in the way...)
quex
ocalhoun wrote:

I doubt they'll manage that...

Dear Science,

WTF GUYS FOLD SPACE ALREADY.

Love,
Quex

Quote:
If they want the ability to put bombs on demand anywhere around the world quickly, I think a system of orbital platforms capable of dropping bombs (or simple inertia-based missiles) through the atmosphere would be the best bet.
(Of course, those pesky non-weaponization-of-space treaties get in the way...)

Yeah, that idea occurred to me long after I'd done all the math and hit "submit".... that seems to be the nature of the actual mission, too, only not so fancy as orbital-anythings, just strategic missile silos around the world. Considering the vast network of foreign bases and agreed-use sites the US has, I'd imagine the mach 5 missile would actually be enough to accomplish the goal. If you can plant silos a little closer than 20% of the Earth's circumference apart, equidistantly (more or less), or mount the launch mechanism on a destroyer, you'd really be able to say you've got the ability to strike anywhere on Earth within the hour.

Ergo, I need to move to the moon.
ocalhoun
quex wrote:
Considering the vast network of foreign bases and agreed-use sites the US has, I'd imagine the mach 5 missile would actually be enough to accomplish the goal. If you can plant silos a little closer than 20% of the Earth's circumference apart, equidistantly (more or less), or mount the launch mechanism on a destroyer, you'd really be able to say you've got the ability to strike anywhere on Earth within the hour.

Ergo, I need to move to the moon.

Hm... India already has a mach 3 cruise missile.
So, in 1 hour, they could hit anything 2300 miles from the coast.
Just how many (strategically important) areas are more than 2300 miles away from any coastline?

In all practicality, a 1-hour strike capability could be made by putting missiles like that on strategically placed submarines and destroyers, along with a few choice-location land-based launch sites.

You can make things even easier if you assume things like not needing to launch against Antarctica or close allies.
quex
ocalhoun wrote:
You can make things even easier if you assume things like not needing to launch against Antarctica or close allies.

Hell no, Antarctica is the greatest threat mankind has ever faced. We need the ability to strike those damned penguins within the hour. XD
Nameless
quex wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Hell no, Antarctica is the greatest threat mankind has ever faced. We need the ability to strike those damned penguins within the hour. XD

The ice caps are melting ... because they're coming to get you.
ocalhoun
Nameless wrote:
quex wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

The ice caps are melting ... because they're coming to get you.

And bombing them helps stop them from melting... how?
pll
That's kinda sad, but what a an advance in technology, seriously!
therimalaya
Very Interesting!! But I'm doubtful about that