FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anti-virus suggestion

airh3ad
Guy's our Symantec endpoint protection AV about to expire this year. I need your suggestion the best Anti virus at present
i hope i can receive your comments and Suggestion if we can proceed to renew or to buy new 1! remember i handle 200-450 machines. i need manageable Av.
Josso
I'm not sure what you mean so apologies if this is unhelpful, nod32 for windows is a good one though and I'm sure there are mass licenses if thats what you want.
airh3ad
Thanks for your suggestion i will look into that. Our SEPM Av is about to expire i'm thinking if to purchase new one AV. i have a problem with SEPM unable to detect malware.
Fire Boar
"Symantec"... yeah, those guys make the worst anti-virus software ever. You can do better with pretty much anything else. NOD32 is a good option, as mentioned. Sophos is also popular with mass deployment, and seems to work. Or you could go with something free, like Microsoft Security Essentials.
vidafenomenal
suggest Avast free version ( http://avast.com ). it offers quite good virus protection, rootkit scanner, boot time scanner, real time shields, auto-sandboxing. completely free and easy to use, very light on system resources, never gives false positives.

malwarebytes is good to have, and if you want the max, get superantispyware too (so you will have avast, malwarebytes, and superantispyware). then you are protected from every possibly harmful effetcs on your computer.

Then using firefox ABP and noscript help alot, but i would suggest 1 more addon, WoT (Web of Trust) it is a good site rating tool, and it will automatically block a rated bad site from loading.
forlou
merciiiiiiii
FunDa
I prefer Avast out of th 3 major free antivirus softwares

-Avast Antivirus

-Avira Antivir

-AVG Antivirus Suite

I was using AVG in the beginning, then switched to Avira.

But Avira had a verv very very annoying full screen popup ad that is soo irritating that I uninstalled it and changed to Avast.

Avast has sudio notifications whenever soething is updated or if it finds a virus (and it can be qa bit irrititng at times), but it can be easily disabled from the options.

I actually disabled it for a while and then I re-enabled it because it is kind of nice to nice to hear it say "Warning, A threat has been detected" in a loud female voice.
menino
If you are willing to buy it for your coporation, then ESET nod32 would be a good option, and even has a central administration and deployment control panel to do it from. Also supports linux.

My company uses Trendmicro, but its a bit more expensive, although in the long run it probably comes cheaper as it gets cheaper to renew the licenses, but it makes the machine slower and some malwares it doesnt detect right off the bat, untill a new definition comes in.

Symantec is ok, but yeah, for some odd reason, it doesnt always detect new malware.

I did some research 3 years ago for my company on antiviruses, and found that the best in the market was bitdefender. WHile testing it was found to have a clash with Internet explorer, which would crash on starting up. After uninstalling bitdefender, the issue was resolved.
So I'm not sure if the trial / home edition had that problem and if the corporate edition would have the same issue.

Still.. if going for any of the above products for your company, ensure that local support is available, coz you will need it, if things go bad / an outbreak occurs.
ProfessorY91
First of all, wrong forum. Second of all: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-42288.html <-- Sticky. All products listed in the sticky (or most), offer commercial solutions for multiple computers. Personally, if you manage that many machines, and you don't use something like Deep Freeze / Steady State, you're not a great administrator.
ankurthakur
avast ! avast ! ...and avast !

I am still using it for years... It provides fantastic security... Internet + Local Cool
kamalvai
I use kaspersky. Its fantastic. But yes you can use Avast too. It is another awesome one.
sanalskumar
Most of the people in here, are talking about free antivirus. When airh3ad said he wanted to manage 200-450 machines, he definitely was asking about something like an enterprise or corporate AV, like SEP or MaAfee Virus scan enterprise or so... So, Avira Free AV or AVG free AV is definitely not what he wants...

Coming back to the question. Smile

One of my clients recently switched to Trend Micro OfficeScan from SEP 11. Thats a good choice. I mean , we have done a study on this and came up with SEP 12 and OfficeScan. And without a second thought, customer took OfficeScan. Its rich with features. Its almost as light as SEP12(yeah trust me. Its very light !!!). Its economical and above all, its very easy to deploy in your network and manage.

Hope this was helpful.
Smile
deanhills
We use Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection at work. Apparently it is of the best there is and probably very expensive too.
sonam
I am using on one computer PrevX antivirus (just for scan) because this antivirus is very light and can work together with other free antivirus. I don't know why I like it but I remember when I install it first time it find few viruses in root what my free Anti virus just escape.

In correlation with other business licence is quite cheap. If I will buy any AV Prevx is on first place, But for now Avast is quite OK. Wink

http://www.prevx.com/businessuser.asp

Sonam
chrmina
Free solutions:

I suggest Microsoft Security Essentials if you are a windows user:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

Avira antivir is also nice
http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

Check this post at LifeHacker:
http://lifehacker.com/5865356/the-best-antivirus-app-for-windows

Of course you can always switch to a GNU/Linux distro and never worry again about antivirus soft Wink
PeteWalker74
Microsoft Security Essentials. I'm an IT guy, but I don't go to crazy sites on my home PC, so I haven't exactly put it through a stress test, but I have seen it detect stuff and remove it. I figure, who knows their OS better than them! Free, easy to use, and works perfectly!
foumy6
whatever you do dont go with McAfee you will regret it. I personally use MalwareBytes and Avast and I am very pleased with both. They are both free, and I highly recommend Mal-ware bytes it is a very good.
Hexes
foumy6 wrote:
whatever you do dont go with McAfee you will regret it. I personally use MalwareBytes and Avast and I am very pleased with both. They are both free, and I highly recommend Mal-ware bytes it is a very good.

I agree in 100%. McAfee is the worst antivirus I've ever seen! When I bought my netbook it came with 1 year free McAfee protection. I removed this antivirus approximately after one month. It tries to remove just everything... The funniest thing happened when I had downloaded avast installer. McAfee found a virus in it and removed it. I am not going to use McAfee even if it will be free product.
deanhills
Hexes wrote:
McAfee found a virus in it and removed it. I am not going to use McAfee even if it will be free product.
I once found Mozilla Firefox making suggestions to remove Norton Anti-Virus files. Sometimes crazy what they come up with. I just ignored it, and nothing has happened .... yet, anyway. But wonder what that was about.
rjraaz
Hexes wrote:
The funniest thing happened when I had downloaded avast installer. McAfee found a virus in it and removed it. I am not going to use McAfee even if it will be free product.

it is usually done by of the antiviruses present in market, that each one take files other one as virus.
May be of some backdoor processes of that antivirus or programming threads.

Even we can not install two antivirus on a single system; i had tested it practically. It was stopped my system get start.
sonam
Quote:
Even we can not install two antivirus on a single system; i had tested it practically. It was stopped my system get start.

It is possible to install two antivirus. I have it Avast and Prevx on same system. First I installed avast and then prevx and working together without any problem. Maybe I don't need it both because avast working good job, but before avast I have some situation when antivirus didn't find or recognize attack and prevx do great job. But also I have two or three situation when prewx make false/positive alarm. Shocked

Sonam
rjraaz
sonam wrote:
Quote:

It is possible to install two antivirus. I have it Avast and Prevx on same system. First I installed avast and then prevx and working together without any problem. Maybe I don't need it both because avast working good job, but before avast I have some situation when antivirus didn't find or recognize attack and prevx do great job. But also I have two or three situation when prewx make false/positive alarm. Shocked

Sonam

but when i was installed Avast then Mcfee, AVG, K7, Avira etc.; system went dead. The finally i was need to reinstall my OS. But could not try Prevx till today.
miteY
@airh3ad
I got this from the eset.com website. (I use the home version and when updated does a good job so you can try the trial version on a few computers before your Sysmantec expires)
Quote:

Management Console | Antivirus | Antispyware | Firewall | Antispam

Combining powerful management tools, ease of use for end users, and state-of-the-art proactive threat detection, ESET Smart Security is the most effective way to protect your business' valuable data assets while improving your compliance posture.

ESET Smart Security was already highly regarded for its ease of use. Now it's even easier to use, which will brighten your help desk manager's day. The Business Edition of ESET Smart Security includes all the features and benefits described above, but has additional functionality and flexibility that every growing business requires:
Additional Benefits

Supports Complex Compliance Requirements — ESET Smart Security adds critical features, such as external drive access control and scanning, Cisco Network Admission Control (NAC) compatibility, as well as enhanced logging and reporting functions to support your compliance initiatives.

Host-based Intrusion Prevention System — Unauthorized attempts to modify your OS or applications are actively blocked through a combination of advanced behavioral analysis and network filtering that monitor your system processes, files, and registry keys. HIPS protects against modern blended threats that may have bypassed your network perimeter security.

Easy to Manage — ESET Remote Administrator provides a single management console to control an entire network from a single screen—supporting tens to thousands of computers. Installation, updates, alerts and other tasks are all easily managed from these intuitive screens. To effectively manage your networked systems, the updated console smooths Active Directory integration and simplifies policy creation. With support for Oracle, MySQL and MS-SQL databases, it also handles increasingly large deployments and runs significantly faster. ESET Smart Security can be configured with antispam and/or personal firewall disabled to ensure compatibility with existing network security solutions. Integrated SysInspector makes it easier for IT administrators to diagnose and resolve problems.

Usability Improvements — For administrators, version 4 offers:

License Manager with simplified tools to manage multiple licenses with different terms
Read-only access for Management Console which enables multiple administrators to share tasks without risk of overwriting configurations
Notification Manager to keep administrators informed of all key events with customizable alerts
Full support of Cisco Network Admission Control (NAC) in support of compliance initiatives
More efficient use of network bandwidth and improved log storage scalability
Advanced Protection status screen that informs you of threat detections
Password protection that prevents ESET Smart Security from being uninstalled by unauthorized employees or visitors

System Requirements

Processors supported: Intel or AMD x86/x64
Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP (32- and 64-bit editions), Microsoft Windows Vista (32- and 64-bit editions), Microsoft Windows Server 2000 (32- and 64-bit editions), Microsoft Windows Server 2003 (32- and 64-bit editions), Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (32- and 64-bit editions)
Memory: 48 MB
Disk Space (download): 32 MB
Disk Space (installation): 46 MB

Added quote tags - ocalhoun
mukesh
Microsoft Security Essentials is my best choice but required genuine Operation System.

Avast is also well working.
cnitolo
If you will use it in free ambient Avast but if you will pay Kaspersky. I have a client where we had a lot of problems with virus (bad user) we only solved the problems when they bought the Kaspersky.
pazis
NOD32 is good for many cases. But it's really terrible against Trojans. I recommend you BitDefender. I've tested many Antivirus programs and just found out that BitDefender is the best...
aydinal
if you need an on demand scanner kaspersky should be your first choice. But if you need a realtime scanner kaspersky may slow down your system. you better use avast as realtime scanner. at least it is light on resources.
therimalaya
I think every antivirus works fine if you regularly update the program and its definition. You can use symentec, macfee, avg, kaspersky, nod,..

you can also use fee one, they also do the same job. I'm using avira - its free edition. It is working fine to me. I also suggest panda cloud antivirus.
newhorizon
If you are looking for a free anti-virus solutions, what i recommend is the Free panda cloud. Its really light compare to the previous versions as well as is a great anti-virus if you keep it up to date.

-Logan
alimddine
I recommend AVG 2012. I used this antivirus for 3 years and and it works very good on my PC. Also for dangerous spyware you can use Spybot, another good antivirus.
deanhills
newhorizon wrote:
If you are looking for a free anti-virus solutions, what i recommend is the Free panda cloud. Its really light compare to the previous versions as well as is a great anti-virus if you keep it up to date.

-Logan
OK. I'm going to try this one out tomorrow. I have not used my Netbook in ages and suspect when I boot it up tomorrow the anti-virus on it - Kaspersky - will be expired. Don't want to spend money on it as doubt I will be using my Netbook that much.
fileb0x
In my opinion Norton Anti-Virus would be top of the mark as far as paid subscription software is concerned. I'd suggest Kaspersky as a runner up candidate.

Otherwise, for free services I would opt for BitDefender or AVG. I'm not immensely fond of AVG but for free active shield protection its quite decent for most needs.

And in my opinion McAfee is a disaster.
nguyenvulong
Use Avast free, it's great and money-free.
Take care when clicking some malicious links which you don't what they're.
And then you never see any virus in you computer
lightningleo
Whatever Men Say, The Avast Free Antivirus is the better Solution. Its a great antivirus with great capabilities. It's very handy and Doesn't Slows your System. Kespersky is not a better solution for me since it slows down the computer with the passing time!! Quick Heal is the worst antivirus i've ever seen you install it the computer slows and uninstall it the computer is slower!! Laughing Laughing So that's your choice::::-----