FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Meeting the parents

iiinvest
I'm curious about everyone's first meeting with your significant other's parents and how different each of your experiences have been. I see people here are from different countries and I know the states have a lot of different cultures so there must be different experiences.

I'm from the US living in Korea Here the first time you meet the parents is when you are asking for their permission in marrying. I've been dating my girlfriend for a year now and we are very serious so I had to finally meet her parents. When my girlfriend's parents first heard about me they couldn't stand the fact that I was not Korean so they didn't want to meet me. But to make a long story short they came around to giving me a chance. The meeting went sort of similar to Meet the Fockers but with times ten more pressure, which is common here in Korea. Parents invest a lot in their kids and when a weaselly foreigner comes to swoop their child away they get very defensive. I assured them that their daughter was in good hands (in my semi decent Korean) by letting them know our plan. To my relief it actually went really well and her parents said they really liked meeting me.

I guess my experience is very extreme compared to other people because my parents were very chill with meeting my girlfriend.
suitza
When I met my girlfriends parents, it was pretty weird situation. Smile I was on their house and the first meeting with them was pretty good. I introduced myself, we shook hands etc... Then me and my girlfriend went to her room.

We were there and we just layed there on her bed and then her father came in. He had M27 rifle with him Very Happy He came there and asked :"Boy, do you know what this is?". I was like :" What are you doing man ?!?!". I was pretty confused. Very Happy It came clear that he just wanted to show that rifle to me for some reason, I think it's because I was going to the finnish defence forces in the next year.

If someone is confused why he had that rifle, it's for hunting.

We have many times laughed at that meeting Very Happy
menino
Lol suitza, I'm laughing, picturing your girlfriends dad with a rifle while your laying there on her bed.

I think you should be yourself, iiinvest, and just go with the flow.
But being yourself, doesn't mean swear openly and just go about doing what only you want.

Be yourself with respect to their presence. Engage in light conversation, and look them in the eye when speaking; and smile as often as possible.
suitza
menino wrote:
Lol suitza, I'm laughing, picturing your girlfriends dad with a rifle while your laying there on her bed.

Yeah, it was pretty funny scene Very Happy At that moment it wasn't so funny but now it is Smile
davidv
I actually find meeting the parents a lot less daunting than meeting their friends. Mostly because I think that friends are much more influential than parents (speaking purely as a 19 year old young adult).
iiinvest
Suitza, if I'm not mistaken an M27 is an automatic assault rifle, right? I surely would have shat my pants if that happened to me. But sounds like ur girlfriend's dad is an interesting character. I know a few friends whos girlfriend's dads pull out the shotgun as an intimidation device but the auto rifle would outdo that any day.

Davidv I also agree that if u can't get her friends to like you then ur in a bad situation.

Menino its interesting that u said that eye contact is good but here eye contact is bad with elders. Otherwise it went extremely well.
suitza
iiinvest wrote:
Suitza, if I'm not mistaken an M27 is an automatic assault rifle, right?

Luckily finnish m27 isn't automatic. Very Happy I found this site that is telling about the m27 rifle.
http://mosinnagant.net/finland/The-Finnish-M27.asp

It's the same rifle that finnish soldiers used in winter war.

Quote:
I surely would have shat my pants if that happened to me. But sounds like ur girlfriend's dad is an interesting character.

Yeah he is pretty interesting character. He is a sailor so i don't see him so often. :/
codersfriend
I remember meeting the girl's dad for the first time.. It's like talking to a Mafia boss haha.. Smile
deanhills
Meet the Fockers was a great movie. I particularly liked the part where Robert De Niro injected his future son and law with truth serum. Hilarious!

Agreed. Meeting in laws for the first time can be pretty daunting.
abhizz
In India love marriage still a nightmare to parents. Me met my g.f mother because she & her mother were good friends.