FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do you think about Anonymous (group)?

suitza
So people, what do you think about the Anonymous (group) ? Just asking because I just read some news about them. I think they are doing the right thing. Some people have to stand up and fight. I don't agree with them entirely though.

The idea is kinda nice. People around the world can join and help with their own way.

Here is url to wikipedia, you can learn something about them there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_%28group%29
Peterssidan
Anyone can use the name Anonymous if I have understand correctly so they are not one unit. Because of that I rather have opinions about specific attacks instead of the group as a whole. Some things are good, other are less good.
Ankhanu
Yep, "Anonymous" is just people, not a real group. There's no centralization, no group mandate, they're just individuals with many causes. Like Peterssidan, I judge the individual efforts, not the "group", since, really there isn't a group.
Josso
Ankhanu wrote:
Yep, "Anonymous" is just people, not a real group. There's no centralization, no group mandate, they're just individuals with many causes. Like Peterssidan, I judge the individual efforts, not the "group", since, really there isn't a group.

Yeah the media likes to make out it's some massively organized anarchist hacker group. Most of the people involved probably do have anarchist-like sentiments however it's really just a label certain hackers or groups of hackers like to put on themselves to reinforce some political statement. Sometimes they aren't even anything to do with btards or anything of that nature it's just the media seems to have a thing for making it look like some credible threat.
Aredon
Josso wrote:

Yeah the media likes to make out it's some massively organized anarchist hacker group. Most of the people involved probably do have anarchist-like sentiments however it's really just a label certain hackers or groups of hackers like to put on themselves to reinforce some political statement. Sometimes they aren't even anything to do with btards or anything of that nature it's just the media seems to have a thing for making it look like some credible threat.

Well the media enjoys attention, and individuals under the label of an Anon aren't very interesting. However if you suddenly have some large, organized, hacker group to be afraid of. Suddenly people tune in to get their information on it.

Unfortunately the media is a sham, and the masses support said sham.

We can only hope that the people who label themselves Anons will hold to their creed. Those that do have my respect.
Ankhanu
Aredon wrote:
Well the media enjoys attention...

Of course! Without attention, there's no audience. No audience means the medium falls apart and ceases to exist.
Radar
It's interesting, and a sign of exactly where our world is headed technologically speaking. Ideas like these spreading into the world of computers...

I guess maybe I'm just surprised it didn't happen sooner.
missdixy
I believe if the Anonymous movement was a bit more organized it would have a lot of potential to do some big damage/make some big changes.
suitza
missdixy wrote:
I believe if the Anonymous movement was a bit more organized it would have a lot of potential to do some big damage/make some big changes.

Yeah I think that is quite true. But I think that then they would be easier to catch.
deanhills
I'm not much in favour of hacking, particularly of Government and large corporations that have enormous power. The more hacking that happens, the greater the likelihood that we may lose our freedom to post anonymously at Forums like these. Governments may feel justified to make a rule that everyone has to have a verifiable and validated e-mail address that is connected with their real ID, and charge a fee for the privilege of sending e-mails or posting at blogs on the WWW. We all will have metered accounts that are checked on a daily basis.

We've already seen Google making a ruling about .cc Websites. And asking for cell numbers to verify Google accounts.