FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The homepage

ocalhoun
*split off of a different suggestion thread*

I do think the homepage could use a bit of simplification, and perhaps a bit more visual flare...
Personally, I would scale down a bit, while adding more interactive elements.
-Cut down the list of new forum and blog posts to 5 or so each.
-Take the list of forums on the left, and make it into a menu-style object where mouse-over of a forum category will display the forums within it.
-Take all the text in the center, and put it into another interactive element, with the text displayed in the center, with three (eye candied so they stand out) buttons below; frihost, free hosting, free domains... Make mouse-overing each of those buttons display the text for that section in the center, with the 'frihost' section displayed by default... Probably add a 'get started now' button to those three.
-Maybe add in a flash element at the bottom that cycles through 'ads' promoting the best features of frihost... If there's extra space to be taken up, that is.

I do see the homepage as being geared almost exclusively toward new members... and those changes would make it easier to use, more impressive (to get their attention and get them to register), and less intimidating in the amount of clutter presented.
I think that with these changes, it could also be made to fit within one page, vertically, so most users wouldn't need to scroll any. -- Further simplifying it.

That could all be accomplished with a bit of java or flash, both client-side so server load wouldn't be impacted much. Adding more images for buttons and the like would increase bandwidth usage a bit, but though I don't have access to the stats to prove it, I doubt the homepage is visited often enough for that to be a big deal.
Blaster
I agree with the image parts. It kind of looks just blank. Maybe change up the colors a little bit and make it a little less... Dull.
truespeed
I think Bondings went to the bauhaus school of page design,function over form.
Josso
I agree with all of this - it's way overdue
deanhills
Great suggestions Ocalhoun. Would be nice if things could be simplified a little. Although it does have some great logic attached as to the content and Bondings was trying to give visitors a maximum view of what's going on with Frihost. But less is always better.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
But less is always better.

If that were true, a blank page would be the best possible option.
Blaster
Blank might work...
Nameless
ocalhoun wrote:

An (almost) blank home page could make for an effective ad if you put some thought into it. It would grab your attention a lot more than the current page, and small line of text at the bottom could make the point that Frihost allows you COMPLETE control over your website with no enforced garbage or ads. All the details can go on the 'real' homepage once the intrigued browser clicks through.
Ankhanu
Nameless wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

An (almost) blank home page could make for an effective ad if you put some thought into it. It would grab your attention a lot more than the current page, and small line of text at the bottom could make the point that Frihost allows you COMPLETE control over your website with no enforced garbage or ads. All the details can go on the 'real' homepage once the intrigued browser clicks through.

I dunno, more often than not, I click Back when I encounter a splash page instead of a functional homepage.