FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tales from Earthsea

ato784
Tales from Earthsea is a movie by Studio Ghibli, which is a combination of various stories within the first four books of Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea series: A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore and Tehanu.

The change of plot was "entirely different" according to the author Ursula K. Le Guin who told director Gorō Miyazaki, "It is not my book. It is your movie."

The story follows Arren, across a desert, where he meets Sparrowhawk, and later in a city a girl named Therru.

For those of you who have watched the movie, what do you think of it?

Personally, I did not care for the movie, it felt like it was missing the true miyazaki touch that Goro's father has. It was not bad, but it was not original.
Blummer
Same me. The only thing that has Hayao's flavor, is the background stuff, the concept art is beautiful.
ato784
Funny thing about this movie, my roommate thought that it was a really old movie since he had never heard of it. Lol.
mochipie
Haha I watched this movie in my Japanese class last year. I just remember all of us laughing a lot (a bit mean, but some of it was just too much). Art was beautiful, but still much prefer Hayao Miyazaki's works.
Mr_Howl
I thought it was alright. Not a bad movie, for sure, but having read the books, I found the differences to be rather jarring.
butterfly
I thought it was alright, not as good as some of Studio G's others. My main problem with it was that I LOVED, loved, loved the books. So the anime was seriously disappointing from that point of view.
ato784
butterfly wrote:
I thought it was alright, not as good as some of Studio G's others. My main problem with it was that I LOVED, loved, loved the books. So the anime was seriously disappointing from that point of view.

I hear that, but I don't know anyone who has read the books. how bad was it compared to the books? what did they change?
donoob88
i never watch or heard about this, seems like cool Very Happy

lol same here I don't like this types of movies.
ato784
mukesh wrote:
donoob88 wrote:

lol same here I don't like this types of movies.

then what are you doing in this segment of the forums? this is a studio Ghibli film, which is basically Japan's Disney. Not to mention that Disney imports most of the movies Studio Ghibli makes to the U.S., among other countries.

I would say you are here for the comic's section, but that almost does not exist...