FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

See satellite with naked eyes

chatrack
Hi,

We can see your natural satellite Moon, from every were on earth.

In a clear sky can we hope to see an orbiting artificial satellite, with naked eyes only?

Have you ever seen a Artificial satellite with only bare eyes, or with the help of
a telescope, which are orbiting around earth?
Ankhanu
Yup, we can see artificial satellites any given night if we're patient. They're generally lights, about the size of a star, or high flying jet, that moves across the sky in a straight line, and most I've seen don't blink. They move relatively quickly.
ocalhoun
It may not be possible in an area that has lots of light pollution, but yes, under the right conditions you can see them.
chatrack
That was a hopeful answer. I must try, with a telescope in a clear sky
pll
I already seen one. It's fun to see how it goes fast!
Flegit
Sure, seen tons of 'em. Looks like a moving star.
D'Artagnan
Quote:

That was a hopeful answer. I must try, with a telescope in a clear sky

it's easier to spot them with the naked eye , like pll said they are quite fast - i would say they are not as fast as an airplane and look like dim stars, and they will be difficult to track with a telescope, binoculars maybe?

me and my dad used to lie down in the backyard and watch them moving, goodtimes Smile
chatrack
International Space Station , see with naked eye

But These are very rare seen on dark nights
mazito
you can use http://climate.jpl.nasa.gov/Eyes/eyes.html to have an idea about the satelites

some years ago i was entusiastic follower for the ISS and expend several aftrnoons and nigth try to see it, firt with the naked eyes then with a binoculars and finaly with my scope, then i get bored and return to see the sky Very Happy
mazito
other option where you can define you location is

http://www.heavens-above.com/
chatrack
mazito wrote:
other option where you can define you location is

http://www.heavens-above.com/

That gives a good look for the position of the ISS above.

Thanks
Cosmoslayer
ocalhoun wrote:
It may not be possible in an area that has lots of light pollution, but yes, under the right conditions you can see them.

I guess this pretty much answered my question. LOL
Josso
http://iss.astroviewer.net/

Another site that doesn't involve nasa or DLR
yagnyavalkya
Satellites can be seen with the naked eye
kelseymh
yagnyavalkya wrote:
Satellites can be seen with the naked eye

You don't normally read postings before you comment on them, do you?
vaishnavsm
It would be easier if you try in a new moon night in the county side.
There should be no lights around you.
Good luck Very Happy
bukaida
I have seen some of them in the night at our village home. They look like moving star (without the twinkle) in bare eyes. In fact now a days there are plenty of them, so if you look around in the clear night sky for sometimes, you will be able to spot one or two easily. However, they are more visible if you sail on a ship at night across the deep sea and the weather is pleasant. They can also be visible from hills easily.
cybersa
Until today i believed it can not be able to see through naked eye.
Today I will try to see.
But How to confirm whether it is satellite or star?
Bikerman
Simple - movement. Unless it is geostationary (and you won't see any of them) then it will be moving quite quickly wrt you and in a different direction/speed to the apparent movement of the stars as the earth rotates.
briankid
i do see it in my area maybe i will post a pic when i'm free
crystalkey
I've seen the ISS pass over twice ...
coolclay
I second using Heavens Above, it's a great site, and identifies what satellite, when and where you'll see it, how bright it will be and lots of other cool info. They also have many pieces of large space junk in the database so you can tell whether or not the light you see in the sky is space junk or an actual useful satellite.

One of my favorite satellites to watch are Iridium satellites, because they can be super bright. They actually call them Iridium flares because they are so bright. I have amazed many people by "making" a bright light appear in the heavens at an exact spot, and time!
pll
WOW ! your websites seems to be really interesting ! I'll try to check them out more when I'll get the time.

Is the ISS actually bigger than a normal satellite ?
jajarvin
On Friday, October 4, 1957, the Soviets orbited the world's first artificial satellite, Sputnik.
Anyone who doubted its existence could walk into the backyard just after sunset and see it.

So did also I, a seven year old boy and oh, boy it was really something!
Arrogant
I notice satellites occasionally when I look at the dark sky. It looks like a star but moves relatively fast
osamaterra
I think the geostationary satellites (like TV broadcast) are fixed in position relative to the observer at a distance of 35,000 km. But GPS satellite(navigation satellites) are moving relative to observer and at a distance 20,000 km.