FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Selling Digital Camera





Tony The Tiger
I am considering selling my digital camera. I use a Canon Powershot TX-1. It is a February 2007 release date camera. I just got a BlackBerry Torch 9810 which is an August 2011 release date smart phone. It seems that the image quality is better with my BlackBerry even though it is only 5 Megapixels vs 7.1 Megapixels for the Canon. The main drawbacks are the fact that the Canon has the 10x zoom and that it does HD video. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this type of decision. Can I zoom a BlackBerry? If so, how much? Is there a way to do video with them (maybe using an app)?
ocalhoun
Phone cameras may be more convenient, but they're not going to outperform or have near as many features as a standalone camera from the same era.

Optical zoom, as you mentioned, is especially a feature phone cameras lack.
I'm sure there's a way you could get it to do a digital zoom, but there's no point in doing so, because you could do the same thing with better quality and control in post-processing.
Tony The Tiger
ocalhoun wrote:
Phone cameras may be more convenient, but they're not going to outperform or have near as many features as a standalone camera from the same era.

Optical zoom, as you mentioned, is especially a feature phone cameras lack.
I'm sure there's a way you could get it to do a digital zoom, but there's no point in doing so, because you could do the same thing with better quality and control in post-processing.


I guess, I will keep my old digy for a while. It probably won't be long before smart phones have decent zooms, but my real issue with them is space. I need them to carry my 95 GB library of music. Which means in need a 120 GB smart phone. Hopefully, iPhone 5 will be that big. For now, I have separate smart phone, digital camera, music player and garmin.
ocalhoun
Tony The Tiger wrote:
For now, I have separate smart phone, digital camera, music player and garmin.


It is possible to combine all of those...
But remember, when you do, you either lose some of the functionality of them, or you greatly increase the size, or you greatly increase the price.

Combining them all into one is convenient, but it does have it's drawbacks.


...And as for optical zoom in phone cameras... I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to become affordable.
Making a decent zoom lens that small requires a lot of miniaturization and a lot of very precise machining... and high-precision machining doesn't come cheap.
I wouldn't expect that to become affordable until something (perhaps nanotech) revolutionizes manufacturing.
kmontano
Keep the point and shoot. It had more features and a better sensor than you blackberry although the phone does offer convenience.
Tony The Tiger
kmontano wrote:
Keep the point and shoot. It had more features and a better sensor than you blackberry although the phone does offer convenience.


I am sure your are largely correct. However, I almost never use my point and shoot anymore. It is a tough decision for me.
Related topics
How long can a digital camera battery sustain?
Help-Digital Camera selection
New digital camera? Know how, where you can use it
CoolPix P1 digital camera
What's the best best digital camera to buy this Christmas?
Can Magnetic bag destructing my digital camera function ?
TCL Products
What Digital Camera do you have ?
Buying a new digital camera
Comuter stopped recognizing my Camera USB
Canon 350D digital camera tips
Best dSLR and Pont and Shoot Camera?
Recommended digital camera for good price?
~Nevermind~ Urgent- Camera won't wake up. ~Please Close~
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.