FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Movember

Ankhanu
So, who else is growing out a greasy 'stache this November for Movember?

I normally sport a full beard or gotee, but, two weeks before November, I was in a play, playing an Acadian member of the Cape Breton Highlanders WWII regiment and had to shave the beard away to be a convincing soldier. Since I was primed with naked face flesh, I thought "what the hell" and joined the hoarde of men growing a moustache to raise awareness of prostate cancer and the skeeziness of an isolated hairy upper lip.

Here's my progress; I opted to go handlebar, since most people go the chevron route.
Just shaved, Nov.2

3days

1wk

1.5wk

Show us your crusty 'stache!!
Blaster
I worked the first few days of novemeber at the Training center where we were doing live fire burning so had to shave so my mask would fit right. So I am not participating. Although i thought about doing a stache it didn't work out... I hate facial hair.
ocalhoun
Huh... Where I am, we have mustache March... so it's a little late for that.
Blaster
ocalhoun wrote:

You never heard of No Shave November

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movember#No_Shave_November
standready
My gal does not like facial hair so enough said.
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Well, I knew there were other schools of thought... But locally, we've celebrated mustache march 5 years in a row (with awards given to fullest, best-looking, and creepiest 'staches, respectively), so it's kinda stuck now.
Dementei
ocalhoun is my favorite horse.
Blaster
ocalhoun wrote:
Blaster wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Well, I knew there were other schools of thought... But locally, we've celebrated mustache march 5 years in a row (with awards given to fullest, best-looking, and creepiest 'staches, respectively), so it's kinda stuck now.

I guess it achieves the same idea so its all good. Each area tends to do something different so that is cool.
Nameless
Growing a moustache (ie. not shaving) seems like the laziest possible way to raise awareness for anything. I can't imagine it would be that effective either since so many people keep their facial hair anyway that you're not going to stand out at all. A better idea would be for everybody to dye and optionally gel their hair the same unnatural colour on a specific day (imagine stepping onto a bus and seeing 2/3 of the riders with spiky blue hair) or for the moustaches to be trimmed into a specific style that's more likely to gather attention (ie. 'Hitler' Movember).

I'd offer to start but oh would you look at that a clean shaven policy for my workplace what a shame. Razz
ocalhoun
Nameless wrote:
Growing a moustache (ie. not shaving) seems like the laziest possible way to raise awareness for anything.

Raise awareness? When we did it the only thing we were raising awareness of was mustaches.
Quote:

I'd offer to start but oh would you look at that a clean shaven policy for my workplace what a shame. Razz

aaand that's exactly why we couldn't do any of the crazier things you suggested. Company (air force) regulations.
They have very strict and very specific regulations about what you can and can't do with your personal appearance.
missdixy
standready wrote:
My gal does not like facial hair so enough said.

What a sweety. I wish my lad cared about my (his gal!)'s facial hair preferances.

Confused
missdixy
Nameless wrote:
Growing a moustache (ie. not shaving) seems like the laziest possible way to raise awareness for anything. I can't imagine it would be that effective either since so many people keep their facial hair anyway that you're not going to stand out at all. A better idea would be for everybody to dye and optionally gel their hair the same unnatural colour on a specific day (imagine stepping onto a bus and seeing 2/3 of the riders with spiky blue hair) or for the moustaches to be trimmed into a specific style that's more likely to gather attention (ie. 'Hitler' Movember).

This reminds of the Facebook posts about breast cancer, except even lazier than that because there isn't even any copy+paste and post involved! So, people at my job have been doing this no-shave thing all month and it wasn't until i saw this post that i realized what the point of it ("awareness") even was. If you're doing this maybe you should keep some handouts handy about prostate cancer and hand out to people as you talk to them about your facial hair. Yup.
Insanity
I'm doing Movember, but it's been really irritating to grow a mustache for me because I don't usually do.

For all those naysayers about how ineffective it is, I think it depends on how ridiculous your mustache looks. It is done to raise awareness for prostate cancer and other men-related diseases, but if people don't mention it often enough, it does lose its effectiveness. Since I don't usually grow mustaches, I've had plenty of people ask me why I have such a bizarre mustache. This then opens up the conversation to what Movember is, and usually allows me to explain some of the background behind it. It is what it is, which is mainly a talking point. It all pretty much boils down to how attention-grabbing your mustache is, and if people ask you about it.

You can also get people to donate to your cause by setting up a Movember page, which tracks how many people have donated. You may think that's its lazy, but lots of money has been raised through Movember, which is a lot more than you can say for those Facebook breast cancer links.
LittleBlackKitten
I get the point, but it's another silly gimmick to raise awareness. I'm sorry, if you're not aware of Prostate Cancer, you likely are senile, under like 8 years old, or REALLY special needs. If they want DONATIONS, that's different. Run TV commercials and fundraisers like everyone else. (Yes I realize the irony).
Nameless
Insanity wrote:
Since I don't usually grow mustaches, I've had plenty of people ask me why I have such a bizarre mustache. This then opens up the conversation to what Movember is, and usually allows me to explain some of the background behind it. It is what it is, which is mainly a talking point.

Or, you could just buy a custom print t-shirt that reads something like "Oh no! Prostate cancer!" or "Ask me about my prostate cancer! (I don't really have prostate cancer ... yet?)" or even "PROSTATE CANCER ffs" and achieve the exact same goal more reliably.
Ankhanu
As I understand it, it's not that people aren't aware of prostate cancer, rather, it's a means of breaking down the barriers that we have as a society in discussing it, and, as a result, the barriers that patients have finding or seeking support. Prostate cancer, being closely linked to sexuality, is a difficult topic for most men in our culture... anything to do with reproductive health is somewhat taboo. As such, patients don't tend to discuss what they're experiencing, or have experienced... they're not comfortable seeking or offering help to other patients. Cancer patients in general have a need to share their experiences with other patients, to feel they're not alone, and to share some of the strength needed to endure the whole process. I've been talking patient to patient, but patient to friends/family/doctors/whoever also applies equally.

I'm somewhat dubious of cancer research in general; I know somewhat how it goes down, and I see too much overhead in the charity organizations or the other aspects of the "industry". Money, as usual, could be better spent donating directly to a research facility or contributing to a research scholarship directly funding those doing the research (usually graduate students Razz ). The fund raising is an important aspect, I suppose, but it's not something I'm participating in (partially because I was busy and didn't sign up to the site).
I am interested in social change and breaking silly cultural aversions towards sexuality. As has been mentioned, the moustache is a bit of a conversation starter... not many people wear them normally (and I can't wait 'till December so I can grow my beard out again!), so they do tend to garner some attention... notice an unusual number of them, and you start to get curious. Given the context of men's health as the basis for the effort, the moustache is an obvious choice as a symbol, given its connection with masculinity (not many women can grow one). Given that moustaches also look sleazy/creepy/etc., the self-deprecation aspect is kinda fun too.

LBK, you way run fundraisers... this IS a fundraiser for many participants. Every fundraiser has a gimmick, moustaches is this one's. As far as awareness in general goes, Movember does get national and international press. I'd heard several radio programs concerning it earlier this month, for example.
Nameless
Ankhanu wrote:
Given the context of men's health as the basis for the effort, the moustache is an obvious choice as a symbol, given its connection with masculinity (not many women can grow one).

Hmm. So here's my revised suggestion: We all print out custom t-shirts that have their slogans on the lower half of the torso, then rip most of the top half off to demonstrate that we are not in possession of any developed breasts. The front of the torn shirt reads "I AM A MAN" and the back of it reads "So how's about that prostate cancer, huh?"
Ankhanu
Nameless wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
Given the context of men's health as the basis for the effort, the moustache is an obvious choice as a symbol, given its connection with masculinity (not many women can grow one).

Hmm. So here's my revised suggestion: We all print out custom t-shirts that have their slogans on the lower half of the torso, then rip most of the top half off to demonstrate that we are not in possession of any developed breasts. The front of the torn shirt reads "I AM A MAN" and the back of it reads "So how's about that prostate cancer, huh?"

That's just extra overhead Razz
Nighthawk360
Ankhanu wrote:
So, who else is growing out a greasy 'stache this November for Movember?

I normally sport a full beard or gotee, but, two weeks before November, I was in a play, playing an Acadian member of the Cape Breton Highlanders WWII regiment and had to shave the beard away to be a convincing soldier. Since I was primed with naked face flesh, I thought "what the hell" and joined the hoarde of men growing a moustache to raise awareness of prostate cancer and the skeeziness of an isolated hairy upper lip.

Here's my progress; I opted to go handlebar, since most people go the chevron route.
Just shaved, Nov.2

3days

1wk

1.5wk

Show us your crusty 'stache!!

NICE Very Happy I completely failed at mine..gave up after a while poor effort on my behalf :/ I was gone by mid November Razz