FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are we getting more mechanized?

inuyasha
I'm reading computer science in my university and I was told that science students are just getting mechanized, to know less about literature and sometimes works in a way like a machine.
I suppose many of you here may be or have been a science or engineering student or got a job in IT insdustry. What do you think?

I myself seem a bit mechanized. I'm easily distracted when reading, unless it's about PHP, Java or something like that. I don't have much time to write anything even my diaries. I don't know what to talk about during discussions in the oral English course.
I feel comfortable with binary and codes, machines and devices. I tried to improve my humanity but without luck. Is this a problem?
Nameless
Did you mean: mechanized?

Well, I don't think being easily distracted is very machine-like. Razz It sounds like you just happen to enjoy working with computers over other areas of learning, so whatever!
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
Or maybe mechanical? I'm not sure one can stereotype scientists to that extent. Leonardo Da Vinci was far from mechanical I would have thought. Far from anything typical in human behaviour really. Think
SonLight
Interesting accidental play on words. I assume inuyasha Wasn't sure whether the correct form was 'mechanized', derived from 'mechanism', or 'machinized' -- presumably 'machinised' for you Brits -- which would be close enough to be understood as a derivation from 'machine', but is not a word in either the English language nor the American language, so far as I know.

The issue seems to be getting an education which allows one to do a specific job, but doesn't broaden the mind about the world as a whole. I highly value the introductory courses I was forced to take to meet "general education" requirements. Sometimes these were limited in subject matter, but were enough that I was able to read more on my own and get a fair understanding of the field.

I suspect most technical majors do not have as many of these general classes as I think is desirable for a well-rounded education. If you care about this, you can probably learn about other fields like economics, sociology and art on your own, but you will need to be self-motivated to do so. It should be easier to study them on your own than it was in my day, because of all the resources on the web, including open university courses. It will probably be just as hard now as it was for me though, because the web also provides millions of distractions.
deanhills
SonLight wrote:
I suspect most technical majors do not have as many of these general classes as I think is desirable for a well-rounded education. If you care about this, you can probably learn about other fields like economics, sociology and art on your own, but you will need to be self-motivated to do so. It should be easier to study them on your own than it was in my day, because of all the resources on the web, including open university courses. It will probably be just as hard now as it was for me though, because the web also provides millions of distractions.
Excellent point. In order to be more well rounded one probably need to have a broader education. But quite a number of science guys I know provide that themselves just because they are interested in other things. Like for example music, the arts, philosophy etc.
chatrack
Its just because , your not getting enough time for some social activities and social works.
Find more time with others around
inuyasha
Nameless wrote:

Well, I don't think being easily distracted is very machine-like. Razz It sounds like you just happen to enjoy working with computers over other areas of learning, so whatever!

Oh, thanks~ I typed the word wrong Embarassed .
inuyasha
SonLight wrote:
Interesting accidental play on words. I assume inuyasha Wasn't sure whether the correct form was 'mechanized', derived from 'mechanism', or 'machinized' -- presumably 'machinised' for you Brits -- which would be close enough to be understood as a derivation from 'machine', but is not a word in either the English language nor the American language, so far as I know.

The issue seems to be getting an education which allows one to do a specific job, but doesn't broaden the mind about the world as a whole. I highly value the introductory courses I was forced to take to meet "general education" requirements. Sometimes these were limited in subject matter, but were enough that I was able to read more on my own and get a fair understanding of the field.

Ah, I seemed to get into a complicated problem Surprised Perhaps I should've found a better word than "mechanized". Wink By the way, thanks for your suggestions~ I'll try~ Very Happy
Perhaps I should start from language courses.
standready
I am a mechanical engineer. Does that make me mechanized? Nope! But I do find the multi-tasking I must do distracting. Answer phone, answer other people's questions, fill out progress reports, waiting for the computer to catch up.
pll
I think the jobs that are not fun are getting mechanized but not the fun jobs!
inuyasha
standready wrote:
I am a mechanical engineer. Does that make me mechanized? Nope! But I do find the multi-tasking I must do distracting. Answer phone, answer other people's questions, fill out progress reports, waiting for the computer to catch up.

Glad to know that. Very Happy I'm not so worried about this problem now~ Connecting with people seems quite important~
shivaghimire
If we only think only for our course subjects we will really feel like a machine. We should sometime think of out course books, meditation and should read other interesting books of philosophy, health and so on. We should not take our study as a load. We should be free while studying so that we should not think we as a machine.