FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Black Sabbath's back!

Vanilla
One of my favorite bands! They're back for a reunion AND a new disc, produced by Rick Rubin. I'm so excited about this!

Quote:
The original line-up of veteran British rock band Black Sabbath -- guitarist Tony Iommi, bassist Terence "Geezer" Butler, drummer Bill Ward and iconic vocalist Ozzy Osbourne - has just announced a resumption of duties. The metal blogosphere has been excitedly stoking the rumor mill about this for some time, but the band put its official stamp on it this morning.

For the devout hard rock and heavy metal communities, this is somewhat akin to the announcement of the second coming.

Source.
Afaceinthematrix
I was hoping this would happen ever since last week when Sabbath announced their press conference at Whiskey-A-Go-Go today. I almost went to the press conference but I decided that I had too much work to get done and I wasn't even sure if the public was allowed to get in. But I am pretty excited. For someone in their twenties, the opportunity to get to see the original Sabbath is a really awesome and something that I never would have expected. Sure I did prefer Dio (R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio) because he had this awesomely-powerful voice but the allure of the ORIGINAL Sabbath is something that I can barely hold in (quite a few friends have already received text messages about this!).
rocking
Thats great.
It will be cool to see those legendry guys rocking after all the years.....
deanhills
One of my favourites too

liljp617
I will travel to the moon if that's the only place they're touring.
william
Shocked This is awesome. I'm too young to have ever seen Black Sabbath (and many other legendary rock bands) in their prime, so I am really looking forward to this.

I'll be ready the first day tickets are available.
Vanilla
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I was hoping this would happen ever since last week when Sabbath announced their press conference at Whiskey-A-Go-Go today. I almost went to the press conference but I decided that I had too much work to get done and I wasn't even sure if the public was allowed to get in. But I am pretty excited. For someone in their twenties, the opportunity to get to see the original Sabbath is a really awesome and something that I never would have expected. Sure I did prefer Dio (R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio) because he had this awesomely-powerful voice but the allure of the ORIGINAL Sabbath is something that I can barely hold in (quite a few friends have already received text messages about this!).

I'm in my twenties too and I'm a big fan of Ozzy Osbourne. I don't know if they will come to Brazil, but it would be awesome!

william wrote:
Shocked This is awesome. I'm too young to have ever seen Black Sabbath (and many other legendary rock bands) in their prime, so I am really looking forward to this.

I'll be ready the first day tickets are available.

At least I'll see Sabbath (I think so Very Happy). I would love to see Queen too. Heh I know I can't. Razz
Blummer
It's great. A classic lineup and a new album followed by a tour. What more could we dream of? I know they'll still rock.
gverutes
I agree. Ozzy is old, but Sabbath is timeless.
Afaceinthematrix
Vanilla wrote:
I'm in my twenties too and I'm a big fan of Ozzy Osbourne. I don't know if they will come to Brazil, but it would be awesome!

gverutes wrote:
I agree. Ozzy is old, but Sabbath is timeless.

Why do people do this crap? It's BLACK SABBATH!!!! It's NOT Ozzy + Friends. I hate when people refer to Black Sabbath like Ozzy is the only person in the band. Why not say Tony Iommi, Geezer Bulter, or Bill Ward is old? No... It's always Ozzy.

And then you're a big fan of Ozzy? So those guitar riffs Tony wrote meant nothing to do the band? Sabbath made way better music than Ozzy ever did solo. Ozzy had some good solo music but it wasn't to Sabbath's level... His best album was Blizzard of Ozz but that doesn't even closely compare to albums like Paranoid.
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Why do people do this crap? It's BLACK SABBATH!!!! It's NOT Ozzy + Friends. I hate when people refer to Black Sabbath like Ozzy is the only person in the band. Why not say Tony Iommi, Geezer Bulter, or Bill Ward is old? No... It's always Ozzy.
Agreed. Tony Iommi was/is an amazing guitarist. Tony Martin seems to have been forgotten and left out of the revival. Great song writer and vocalist for a significant portion of Black Sabbath's history.

Blummer
I still hope to see them. Got to grab a ticket somehow.
Vanilla
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

And then you're a big fan of Ozzy? So those guitar riffs Tony wrote meant nothing to do the band? Sabbath made way better music than Ozzy ever did solo. Ozzy had some good solo music but it wasn't to Sabbath's level... His best album was Blizzard of Ozz but that doesn't even closely compare to albums like Paranoid.

Hey, calm down!

I like Ozzy the most because he was the first one from Sabbath that I knew. That's why I said Ozzy. As you can see in my post, I said I'm in my twenties. The first music I hear was a Ozzy Osbourne song, not a Sabbath song (FYI, it was Gets me through). Later I got to know Black Sabbath and his songs and then I really fell in love with the band. So calm down and enjoy the show! Very Happy
brandon02852
My dad saw them in '78. He threw a cross to Ozzy, he caught it and put it around his neck.

It is pretty exciting that they are coming back for another tour and a new album...especially since I grew up listening to their music.

FAIRIES WEAR BOOTS AND YOU GOTTA BELIEVE ME!
tidruG
The original Sabbath are legends. All of them. While I'm excited at the news of them re-uniting, I'm doing so with a bit of trepidation. Keep the following in mind:
  1. They're all really old. Compare Ozzy's voice from songs like "Dreamer" to "Iron Man" (just an example). He's just getting whinier, more nasal and shriller. Ward's drumming in 1994 (he drummed on "The Wizard" on the album "Nativity in Black") was not half as energetic as old, compared even to the original "Wizard". Guitarists and bassists don't seem to get affected by age so much, though, so those departments are well covered.
  2. Back in the late 60s/early 70s, they were probably the only band playing the kind of music they did. Now, there is a hell of a lot more music, music has evolved, instruments have changed. It might be a challenge for them to make their music different or quality and not just radio-friendly.
  3. They'll have to decide whether they want to appeal to the old Black Sabbath fans or new ones that aren't so familiar with Sabbath yet.
  4. Sabbath can no longer differentiate themselves by being gothic. Bands have taken that concept and run away with it.
sup
gverutes
Going to be awesome!
Blummer
Ok, I hope Iommi gets well. There's so high demand and this is why he should feel optimistic, that helps him.
Ankhanu
Blummer wrote:
Ok, I hope Iommi gets well. There's so high demand and this is why he should feel optimistic, that helps him.

I'm not sure that cancer responds to demands to go away... In fact, I'm pretty certain that it doesn't Razz

But, yeah, hoping he recovers.
Blummer
They have moved into other studio. It means they working on it. Fingers crossed. For Iommi, not for album/tour.
Blummer
Now problems with Bill.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16867216

So there are some contract issues which doesn't satisfy him. I actually agree him, since I understand he has the same rights to everything concerning band's classic period. And he is the part of classic Sabbath.
Helios
Wow, great news. I'm totally excited to hear their new material.
Hey, when Judas Priest released their latest album I was also sceptical about their ability to sound like they used to.
I was right - they don't sound like they used to, they simply sound different.
It's still Judas, but the sound suits the current age of the band.

Hopefully it will be the same for Black Sabbath.
Blummer
Still disappointed. Was hoping to see them on this tour one day.
watchftp
One of the all time great band
Laro696
I just hope I get to see them live before one of them dies of old age