FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The end of Real Estate / Estate Agents 5, 10 or 15 years?

chasbeen
I was buying a house recently and was amazed what I could do without getting on the plane to see it (bought abroad)
When I landed and despite the jet lag I visited the 4 houses I fancied and presented the offer by hand.
I saw one agent who arrived late and almost missed him because I had already viewed the house.

It's easy to imagine that houses will sell themselves once people can easily market them on the web and Google gets even better.

How long before the last agent makes their last commission?
standready
Selling a home by yourself has always been an option. Now, the marketing has gone to the internet instead of a few newspapers. Even add a video walk through.
Selling is still a headache.
Nameless
Pretty much what standready suggests. Selling your own home has (AFAIK) always been an option, but the average homeowner is not going to be a great enough salesman to get the best price for it.
ocalhoun
Nameless wrote:
Pretty much what standready suggests. Selling your own home has (AFAIK) always been an option, but the average homeowner is not going to be a great enough salesman to get the best price for it.

The average homeowner also doesn't know enough about all the paperwork involved to make sure all the legal requirements for the sale are made.

Even if you no longer use an agent to sell a house, nor use one to find the house you want, you still need somebody who knows about the paperwork in order to broker the actual sale.

It also might make a huge difference in that you were buying abroad.
In some countries, there simply isn't any such thing as a real estate agent... or they may fill different roles, such as being strictly a buyer's agent paid for in advance by the buyer.

As for them going away in the next X years...
Well, not if they have anything to say about it!
The national association of realtors has some significant clout, and they have a vested interest in making sure realtors never go obsolete.
chasbeen
O Said
Quote:
you still need somebody who knows about the paperwork in order to broker the actual sale

Yes the lawyer does that though, your gonna need one of those[/quote]