FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Perry is toast

handfleisch
Funny how the Republican presidential candidates keep stealing the limelight from each other by out-humiliating themselves. Texas Gov. Rick Perry already was looking very unpresidential after some strange behavior on the campaign trail (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSJv-2qfDNc) until he was saved by the Cain sex harassment scandal. But now Perry is back after this huge mental blankout at the debate last night:

He might as well bow out of the race now.
deanhills
I guess everyone makes mistakes regardless of what Party they belong to:

handfleisch
deanhills wrote:

Did you even watch the Perry video? Can you compare this scary, long mental blank-out during a debate with "bloopers"? Stick a fork in him, Perry is done.
liljp617
A politician who can't remember his own lies. There's a first...

Yes, let me elect this guy! There's a reason he stayed out of the election for so long.
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Did you even watch the Perry video? Can you compare this scary, long mental blank-out during a debate with "bloopers"? Stick a fork in him, Perry is done.
I actually did. I agree with you that he won't get far, but it's not because of forgetting his lines. But then that is not why you aired this YouTube show right? Two points against the Republicans, four points for Obama.
Ankhanu
This sort of shit can happen to anyone, any time. Hell, I had an instance 2wk ago in which I completely blanked on the name of someone I've been living with for over a month, and whom I've known for three years... Her name didn't come back to me for 8 hours of trying to remember it again Razz

That said, yeah, this looks bad, and Perry is a bad joke, but I don't think *this* is the campaign suicide you think it is. People who vote for people like the Bushes will see this as an example of Perry's basic humanity and lack of elitism (such a bad word in today's American political arena), and could win him the presidency as thy imagine grabbing a beer with him and laughing about the shared public embarrassing moment.
handfleisch
Ankhanu wrote:
That said, yeah, this looks bad, and Perry is a bad joke, but I don't think *this* is the campaign suicide you think it is. People who vote for people like the Bushes will see this as an example of Perry's basic humanity and lack of elitism (such a bad word in today's American political arena), and could win him the presidency as thy imagine grabbing a beer with him and laughing about the shared public embarrassing moment.

yeah you could be right, Perry might come back from this. Still I think the overtly embarrassing and unelectable candidates (Perry, Cain, Bachmann, Paul) will all be gone by election time.
Ankhanu
I dunno, we ended up with an unelectable robot with a majority backing last election. Don't underestimate the apathy of the general public and the fervent support scary individuals can drum up.
handfleisch
Ankhanu wrote:
I dunno, we ended up with an unelectable robot with a majority backing last election. Don't underestimate the apathy of the general public and the fervent support scary individuals can drum up.
kind of a bizarre post, really, I'm not sure I want to know what you mean by that first sentence
Ankhanu
Look at my location entry under my avatar. We're not all from the USA on this board.
handfleisch
Ankhanu wrote:
Look at my location entry under my avatar. We're not all from the USA on this board.
oops ok
liljp617
Ankhanu wrote:
This sort of shit can happen to anyone, any time. Hell, I had an instance 2wk ago in which I completely blanked on the name of someone I've been living with for over a month, and whom I've known for three years... Her name didn't come back to me for 8 hours of trying to remember it again Razz

In a few words, dumb people vote for people who seem dumb. Sounds about right.

The truth of the matter is he didn't just blank. He never actually knew the answer, because he really has no intentions of cutting out gigantic agencies of the federal government. Why? Because he's a generic politician trying to ride the coattails of the movement against big government. He doesn't sincerely believe in it, but he sure as hell knows it will get him votes. Unfortunately, again, he is not very good at remembering his own lies. Sucks for him.
coolclay
He never had a chance to begin with. The only reason he even bothered to run is because he was the governor of Texas and he thought that meant something!

The only candidate who actually has a chance of winning in the end is Ron Paul. He may be have strong ideas and not follow the status quo, but right now strong ideas are the only ones that are going to be able to turn this country around and save our sorry @sses.
liljp617
coolclay wrote:
He never had a chance to begin with. The only reason he even bothered to run is because he was the governor of Texas and he thought that meant something!

The only candidate who actually has a chance of winning in the end is Ron Paul. He may be have strong ideas and not follow the status quo, but right now strong ideas are the only ones that are going to be able to turn this country around and save our sorry @sses.

Paul has zero chance of getting the nomination "/
ocalhoun
liljp617 wrote:

Well, he won a race for congress... and the competition against him is weak...

But I do agree he'll have an especially hard time because he doesn't toe the party line all the time.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

But I do agree he'll have an especially hard time because he doesn't toe the party line all the time.
He did not do too badly during the political debate, but compared with the other Republicans was not the best candidate either. Probably not even in the best three of the group.
gandalfthegrey
This was on par with the 'Dean Scream' (Howard Dean, candidate for democratic presidential nominee and frm Gov. of Vermont)... Perry royally screwed himself. He should have just lied or ended it quickly by saying he couldn't remember (or that he meant two)... he just carried the moment on for too long - making him look very dumb.
deanhills
gandalfthegrey wrote:
This was on par with the 'Dean Scream' (Howard Dean, candidate for democratic presidential nominee and frm Gov. of Vermont)... Perry royally screwed himself. He should have just lied or ended it quickly by saying he couldn't remember (or that he meant two)... he just carried the moment on for too long - making him look very dumb.
Right, but during the debate that gaffe counted in his favour, as the two moderators gave him extra time. Or it appeared that way anyway. The audience loved his quick comeback answers. Seemed as though he had fully recovered from it.
liljp617
ocalhoun wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

He'll have a hard time because he's too intelligent to be elected President -- he actually tries to answer complex questions/scenarios by addressing their complexity. Voters don't handle that well. He also gets no media coverage for whatever reason...people know the name, but they don't see or hear from him nearly enough to be considered a viable choice for nomination.

deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

He did not do too badly during the political debate, but compared with the other Republicans was not the best candidate either. Probably not even in the best three of the group.

He rarely gets to speak in debates, because the media simply doesn't like the guy's views.
deanhills
liljp617 wrote:
He rarely gets to speak in debates, because the media simply doesn't like the guy's views.
Could be. But did you watch the debate though?
liljp617
deanhills wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

A good portion of it. There generally comes a time in these debates where I would rather rub my face in broken glass than listen any longer to the amount of idiocy some of the candidates spew (usually the ones who get to talk the most).
deanhills
liljp617 wrote:
deanhills wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

A good portion of it. There generally comes a time in these debates where I would rather rub my face in broken glass than listen any longer to the amount of idiocy some of the candidates spew (usually the ones who get to talk the most).
Sounds as though you were suffering while you were looking at it! Guess I'm lucky. I'm an outsider. I'd say I'm in the direction of Ron Paul. But at the same time am wondering whether any of it would really make a difference. Whether it is Republican or Democrat, both play to the exact same mega corporations. Doing the same stuff. Only thing that is useful though is to test their knowledge and check on all of their scandals. Twisted Evil