FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do you usually do for Halloween?

ratanegra
I live in Venezuela, so I'm not quite familiar with the celebrations of far away countries such as England, the US. Thus, I was wondering which could possibly be the most common things to do in this worldwide famous celebration for you, experts in your own cultures. Smile
I know that you usually wear costumes and that children go from house to house asking for candies, but... is there anything I'm missing? Tell me about it!
deanhills
ratanegra wrote:
I live in Venezuela, so I'm not quite familiar with the celebrations of far away countries such as England, the US.
What kind of celebrations do they have in Venezuela?
Smile
User_X
In the USA, when I was a kid, you use to go house to house & when they answered or opened the door or whatever thing they had going on you would say "Trick or treat". Then they either handed you some form of candy or hold a bowl or something with candy in it or sometimes on rare occasions a treat.
It's still the same these days but the having the porch light on is becoming scarce. Many of the parents are bringing their kids to gulp, "party's". The kids these days don't know what their missing by having almost all porch lights on & experiencing the sometimes many surprises the people offered.
I feel it sucks to be a kid these days on Halloween
standready
I just wait for the little 'trick or treaters' to come to the house.
missdixy
ratanegra wrote:
I know that you usually wear costumes and that children go from house to house asking for candies, but... is there anything I'm missing? Tell me about it!

Lol oh gosh, we don't *usually* do this, I'd hate to think of people from other countries thinking we do this like all the time lolol. But no, this is a once-a-year celebration/holiday called Halloween.

But yes, user_x explained Halloween pretty well (this is what it's called). A lot of times now schools will have halloween events as well, and the kids can go trick or treating in the evening at the school, going from classroom to classroom to get candy, which is generally a lot safer than walking around the streets.

To be honest I don't like a lot of the traditions here in the U.S. Independence Day (July 4) is usually all about fireworks and while they are fun to watch sometimes at the big shows, I hate when people do them in their own backyard. It's loud and annoying.

Valentine's Day, the "day of love" is super commercialized and for the most part, I feel, has lost all meaning. Christmas is kind of the same thing. I guess my favorite custom/holiday in the U.S. is Thanksgiving....because I love the food Very Happy