FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

my website is down while servers are up???

SultanMA
my website url is:
http://www.kumoodle.frihost.org/

it's down, is the server down?
how much time it will take to run again?
Peterssidan
seems like server 4 is down again. Rolling Eyes
Bondings
It's working now. I had to restart server 4 again yesterday, my apologies for the problems.
deanhills
Server 4 seems to be in trouble again.
gerimter
Server 4, the problem is 2 months.
Asap170
Server 4 is just having issues. I think it's on it's period...
dennisk
Yes, it's down again...

I don't really care because it's free but still hope it's fixed soon!

Smile
SonLight
According to the status check marks, mysql is down but the server is functional for most other things. I don't know how valid that is, but if true, pages that do not use mysql might load ok. I wonder if it would be possible for a php script to determine that mysql was down without 'hanging' trying to open the database? If so, one could build a page which would give static information when the database was unavailable.

I doubt if many would go to that trouble though, and I hope mysql is back online before anyone decides to try it.
Bondings
@SonLight, the rest of the server was working fine in theory. In practice I guess only very small php/html pages were (sometimes) loading, at least when I tried.

Anyway, the server has been restarted and should be working fine again.
ocalhoun
SonLight wrote:
I wonder if it would be possible for a php script to determine that mysql was down without 'hanging' trying to open the database?

Code:

if{
   mysql_connect(database_name);
}
else{
   echo ("MySQL: Failure to connect to database");
}

My syntax may be a bit rusty, but you get the idea.
SonLight
@ocalhoun:

Yes, that is the normal way to check. The result may depend on what is wrong, though. Ideally, the connect request would immediately return with a failure status if something is wrong. If the mysql server is not functioning properly though, I would expect it might either wait a long time and then indicate a timeout trying to contact the mysql server, or fail to respond at all.

It is not always practical to work around a failing component. As Bondings pointed out, probably only a few very simple things were working right at the time of the failure, and getting a quick failure status from the connect request might not have been one of them.

It is usually best to quickly solve the problem than to spend a lot of time figuring if you can work around it. It might be worthwhile if a single component failed frequently though, if we could accurately test for the failure without stepping into a trap. In this case, if the connect status could not be trusted, it should be possible to ask the servers which give the status for the sigs if mysql was ok.
Bondings
Anyway, I think I found the cause(s) of the problem now.

Firstly there was a website taking a tremendous amount of resources (after suspending it the server load went down 10-fold). Secondly I've changed some settings that hopefully should prevent that the server becomes as easily unresponsive in case of that many apache requests at the same time.
Bondings
The server just went down again and should be restarted soon.