FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My New Shop ... Opinions Needed, Criticism Welcome!

Hammy
Hi there,

So i've been working on a website for a few weeks now built upon the popular OS Commerce.
This to be honest, is my first complete website, and i'm very please with myself Smile

Expenses: Just the Hosting and Domain name.
All the work was carried out by me, I have knowledge in coding, im however not an expert in any field.

So the site, it's mainly aimed at the UK, but we ship worldwide.

Link: http://purpledinostore.com

Ive just got it to a good working state 10 minutes ago, and I would like to hear from anyone with a trained eye if they can see any room for improvement?

I want people to be comfortable on the site, and happy to place an order.

Known issues:
- Social Bookmarks dont line up. (The 'like' button is out of line)

Thanks Everyone.
fladry
Is it a good idea to put adsense ads in a store website? What if the user forgot about the 120$ cart items by visiting another site through the ad which gives you .12$?

The site is really professional and awesome. But i would recommend affiliate marketing rather than adsense ads in store sites because you can open the links in new page if you like and also get higher money per transaction with affiliates.
Ghost Rider103
I think you're fine starting out with adsense. If people already found what they're looking for on your website, then chances are they are not going to bother clicking the ads to continue searching. Though I suppose the odds are there. But highly unlikely.

Starting an affiliate campaign is an excellent idea though. Nothing but good could come of it.

But as you know I already like your current design. Very clean and professional. Doesn't look like it cluttered with ads and other junk.

Overall great work. Definitely one of the better sites that get posted in the advertisement section on frihost. I'm quite proud of you Razz

Of course of you ever need any design work/comments/suggestions feel free to ask Very Happy

By the way, is it hosted on Frihost?
Blaster
Looks very neat and clean i must say. I like the name of the website as well. The ads do flow nicely with the website although I feel if you're not careful people might click it thinking its going to lead to something in your website when truth is it won't.

On the contact page it might be a good idea to list a phone number and some type of business address. This could even be a PO box. People want to see that everything is legit and I know personally this is one thing I tend to look for.

I do like how you can switch currencies. I have no idea how the pound and USD co mingle so it's nice to see to be able to compare.

Somewhere on your site you may want to list how you ship your products. Another big thing I look for. Also shipping prices is helpful as well.

One big thing that I have read about and it makes a lot of sense is why do you need to register to buy something? I forget where I read about this (prolly cracked.com) but it is one of the biggest problems with online shopping. People are just too god damn lazy to register. You can always make it an option though so if the user wants to register to receive special offers or keep there CC on file it can be done to allow for easier access the next time.
Hammy
Thanks for the feedback guys.
And thanks for the compliments and cristicisms.

I will look into sourcing some affiliates for replace the google ads, as thre policy states you cannot open ad's in a new window.

Yes, i may have to put my address on there, but i work from home, and i dont particularly lik eot put my home address on.

Yes, i believe registering for a site to buy one item is a hassle.. and there is an option to purchase as guest, and it creates a tempory account automatically to process the order. But... it was a pain to setup. I may attempt it again as this would definately be a bonus.

And i'll certainly add the postage details.

Thanks.
Ghost Rider103
You can actually use a PO box for the company address. It's actually quite a common thing to do.

Anyways, hope the site is doing well.

By the way, instead of google ads, if you wanted to keeps ads, you could always offer ad spots on your sites to other companies that don't sell products. Like websites that review products instead of sell them, like bloggers. There was a site to set this up... I can't think of the name at the moment... Ah, buysellads.com that is probably the only way you'll make some decent money off of ads.

Good luck.
Josso
Looks very nice, can't find anything immediately wrong with it although some of the thumbnails for certain items seem to be a bit big? It causes the whole row to become stretched.

http://www.purpledinostore.co.uk/boards-c-48.html
Example

Loved how I didn't need to run any scripts to look around the site hell I could probably run this site in a 10 year old browser.

(Extra note: wherever the ads are, not having them there doesn't seem to effect the page layout)
menino
Wow Hammy.... nice site I must say.
Looks quite professional and attractive to the eye as well.
johans
Very nice... keep it up..

Very Happy
savable
fladry wrote:
Is it a good idea to put adsense ads in a store website? What if the user forgot about the 120$ cart items by visiting another site through the ad which gives you .12$?

The site is really professional and awesome. But i would recommend affiliate marketing rather than adsense ads in store sites because you can open the links in new page if you like and also get higher money per transaction with affiliates.

That was nice suggestion you gave for using affiliate rather than ad-sense. I was talking with my friend about this matter he also told me if you want to make website and want to earn money then go for affiliate marketing.
agent
The only thing thats bothers me is that one can see right through the menu bar and tables grid.
But otherwise it looks like a good shop.

Keep it up the work.