FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

serial sex offender for president? GOP's Cain

handfleisch
I thought the national GOP couldn't look much worse after Bush, but I was wrong. Bachmann and Perry are a joke and now we have Herman Cain, who was already a clown before the allegations of sexual harassment started.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57320652-503544/herman-cain-fires-back-at-accuser-sharon-bialek/?tag=pop;stories
Quote:
In an email sent to supporters today, Republican presidential contender Herman Cain aggressively attacks the first woman to publicly accuse him of sexual misconduct, Sharon Bialek.
A total of four women have accused Cain of sexual harassment in the 1990's, when he served as chief executive of the National Restaurant Association, though Bialek is the first to do so publicly. On Tuesday, a fifth woman came forward with a story of questionable behavior on Cain's part.

In a press conference Monday, Bialek said that after a dinner meeting in 1997, Cain put his hand under her skirt and pushed her head toward his crotch.

As his reputation suffers from the building allegations, several Republicans have said the best thing Cain can do for his campaign is directly address the charges. While some have suggested that could mean clarifying any incidences that might have been interpreted as sexual harassment, Cain has emphatically maintained his innocence.
ZenFountain
Cain is the most bizarre "serious" candidate I've seen in my lifetime. His whole campaign seems to be an extension of the Koch brother's interest, more book touring than campaigning, the smoking ad, and now all these sexual harassment skeletons jumping out of the closet.
furtasacra
ZenFountain wrote:
Cain is the most bizarre "serious" candidate I've seen in my lifetime. His whole campaign seems to be an extension of the Koch brother's interest, more book touring than campaigning, the smoking ad, and now all these sexual harassment skeletons jumping out of the closet.

SEEMS to be?

He was hollering "'I am the Koch brothers' brother from another mother!" at the annual convention for Americans for Prosperity, which is basically a billionaires' club founded by David and Charles Koch.

Also:
Cain Has Long Ties To Koch Brothers-Linked Group
ocalhoun
I prefer to evaluate candidates based on their political stances.

(I realize I may be in the minority in that respect though.)
(And not that this guy is much better on political stances either.)
furtasacra
ocalhoun wrote:

Being disrespectful towards women IS a political stance.

A man making unwanted sexual advances towards subordinates qualifies as disrespectful to women, and is particularly abhorrent in a married man who claims to be guided by Christian principles.
handfleisch
furtasacra wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

A man making unwanted sexual advances towards subordinates qualifies as disrespectful to women, and is particularly abhorrent in a married man who claims to be guided by Christian principles.

awesome post, furtasacra
Afaceinthematrix
furtasacra wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

No. It really just implies that you're an ass and possibly a hypocrite. It has nothing to do with your economic and social policy beliefs and furthermore it says even less about your ability to run a country.

This is just an ad-hominem (well sort of; it's not really a true ad-hominem attack but the same in principle) attack which is a tactic usually used by people not smart enough to actually find relevant attacks towards people they hate (which, really, shouldn't be too hard in this case).
furtasacra
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
furtasacra wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

No. It really just implies that you're an ass and possibly a hypocrite. It has nothing to do with your economic and social policy beliefs and furthermore it says even less about your ability to run a country.

This is just an ad-hominem (well sort of; it's not really a true ad-hominem attack but the same in principle) attack which is a tactic usually used by people not smart enough to actually find relevant attacks towards people they hate (which, really, shouldn't be too hard in this case).

Call it whatever you want, Herman Cain is just... awful. The first time I saw one of his campaign ads I thought it was a Tim and Eric skit.

Frankly, I think his presidential campaign is just PR to get name recognition so he can get grossly overpaid to be a black male Sarah Palin, peddling speaking engagements, tv punditry, and poorly-written books for the rest of his life.

His economic ideas are bumper sticker rubbish, he's an anti-Muslim bigot, and he can't even decide whether to pander to libertarians or the religious right on the abortion issue.

I already thought the guy was an idiot and a jerk; the old sexual harassment allegations coming out just make that slow, creepy Grinch smile at the end of his ads even creepier.

handfleisch
furtasacra wrote:

Call it whatever you want, Herman Cain is just... awful. The first time I saw one of his campaign ads I thought it was a Tim and Eric skit.

Frankly, I think his presidential campaign is just PR to get name recognition so he can get grossly overpaid to be a black male Sarah Palin, peddling speaking engagements, tv punditry, and poorly-written books for the rest of his life.

His economic ideas are bumper sticker rubbish, he's an anti-Muslim bigot, and he can't even decide whether to pander to libertarians or the religious right on the abortion issue.

I already thought the guy was an idiot and a jerk; the old sexual harassment allegations coming out just make that slow, creepy Grinch smile at the end of his ads even creepier.

Exactly. The wave of sexual harassment allegations is just the last straw, not that the other straws of his basic ineptitude, bigotry, his clownish campaign weren't enough already.
ocalhoun
handfleisch wrote:

Exactly. The wave of sexual harassment allegations is just the last straw, not that the other straws of his basic ineptitude, bigotry, his clownish campaign weren't enough already.

So... which candidate do you think the republicans should nominate?
Afaceinthematrix
furtasacra wrote:

I don't disagree. I don't like him and think he would be a terrible president. But my dislike for him surely isn't based on something not related to politics. I hate him for his politics and economic ideals. But to say he'd be a bad president because he's a perve is quite silly to me.
jmi256
I was never a huge fan of Cain, but wasn't it the Democrats who actually nominated John Edwards as vice-president, which is just a heartbeat away from the presidency? Not only was he committing fraud to use campaign contributions to pay off for his mistress and keep her cozy, but he was doing all this while running for president during the primaries and then VP in the general election. The fact that he was doing this while his wife was dying of cancer, yet was by his side on the campaign while she was dying.

The Cain allegations may or not be true, but there seems to be something suspect in the timing and even the stories that the accuser has come up with. I just find it funny that the Democrats are trying to dig dirt and throw accusations at Cain for something that supposedly happened almost two decades ago when he wasn’t running for office, but hypocritically hold John Edwards up as a poster boy for the Democratic party.

Quote:
Johnny Reid "John" Edwards[1] (born June 10, 1953) is an American politician, who served as a U.S. Senator from North Carolina. He was the Democratic nominee for Vice President in 2004, and was a candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2004 and 2008.
…..
On June 3, 2011, Edwards was indicted by a North Carolina grand jury on six felony charges related to an extramarital affair he admitted to following his 2008 campaign. If convicted, Edwards faces up to 30 years in prison and a $1.5 million fine.

Source = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Edwards
handfleisch
jmi256 wrote:
I was never a huge fan of Cain, but wasn't it the Democrats who actually nominated John Edwards as vice-president, which is just a heartbeat away from the presidency? Not only was he committing fraud to use campaign contributions to pay off for his mistress and keep her cozy, but he was doing all this while running for president during the primaries and then VP in the general election. The fact that he was doing this while his wife was dying of cancer, yet was by his side on the campaign while she was dying.

Don't you love the smell of false equivalency in the morning? JMI, do you understand the difference between consensual relations and serial harassment? There's a big difference between having a lover while cheating on your wife versus sexually harassing your employees in the workplace, and it's kind of sick that you imply they are the same thing. Also, the Democratic Party totally and appropriately rejected Edwards when the truth became known, but the Republican establishment is still supporting Cain and they are even attacking the alleged victims of the harassment.

jmi256 wrote:
The Cain allegations may or not be true, but there seems to be something suspect in the timing and even the stories that the accuser has come up with.

One little problem -- there are several women coming forward and more than one of the them were already paid damages for the harassment they suffered under Cain twenty years ago, so to try to dismiss this as some kind of baseless conspiracy is very weak. How exactly did they organize this conspiracy twenty years ago before Cain was a politician? Do the evil Democrats have a time machine?

jmi256 wrote:
I just find it funny that the Democrats are trying to dig dirt and throw accusations at Cain for something that supposedly happened almost two decades ago when he wasn’t running for office
The women are standing up for themselves. And are you saying crimes committed before a candidate starts running for public office should be off limits?
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
Don't you love the smell of false equivalency in the morning? JMI, do you understand the difference between consensual relations and serial harassment? There's a big difference between having a lover while cheating on your wife versus sexually harassing your employees in the workplace, and it's kind of sick that you imply they are the same thing. Also, the Democratic Party totally and appropriately rejected Edwards when the truth became known, but the Republican establishment is still supporting Cain and they are even attacking the alleged victims of the harassment.
Which category does Clinton belong to?

I think the whole power trip that involves people in high office provides challenges that are regardless of which party they belong to. The same charm that gets those guys elected is the charm that seems to attract women to these guys and turn these guys on.
Ankhanu
Charisma and integrity are rarely bedfellows.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
Well said!
Wink
handfleisch
deanhills wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
Well said!

not sure what you two are talking about. This isn't about "charisma" and Cain seducing women, this is about allegations of harassment and, actually, sexual assault according to one woman who has come forward.
Ankhanu
Which has to do with integrity.
Tuvitor
The Republicans now are the Democrats of 2004, regarding party unity and leadership. Obama will be re-elected because the Republicans have NOBODY electable.
deanhills
Tuvitor wrote:
The Republicans now are the Democrats of 2004, regarding party unity and leadership. Obama will be re-elected because the Republicans have NOBODY electable.
Agreed. However I'm a bit more positive about Republican candidates than I had been a few months ago. No Palin and no McCain.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
No Palin and no McCain.

Yet.

As far as I know, none of them have announced their intentions about running mates yet.
Hopefully they're not stupid enough to choose Palin for their vice president candidate... but I wouldn't be certain of that.