FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The end of newspapers, 3, 5 or 10 years?

chasbeen
Newspapers first appeared as single sheets of paper in London England at the end of the 18th Century however some newspapers in this old country have been disappearing.
Some have ceased existing while others have completely gone on line hoping to survive on advertising revenue only.
The rest have some associated online presence but still produce the 21st Century equivalent to the original 18th Century originals.

How long before the very last paper newspaper?
Nameless
> 10 years. Old traditions die hard, and a single newspaper to peruse once every week can be much easier and relaxing than trying to stay on top of online services rushing out stories every other minute. And if you spill breakfast over your morning paper, who cares?
deanhills
They may become electronic, but can't see news papers every really disappearing. Would be really sad if they did.
ocalhoun
chasbeen wrote:

How long before the very last paper newspaper?

At least until current generations die off...
Believe it or not, even in developed countries, there are people around who still don't buy into this new-fangled 'internet' thing.

...And many who do have the internet and TV available still enjoy reading a paper version, as part of their routine.

They'll continue to decline in popularity, but the absolute end of them is not yet in the foreseeable future... And that's not even counting the less developed areas of the world, in which newspapers might linger even longer if other media types aren't fully available to everyone.
spinout
the end is here, for me at least!
I just read e-papers!!

Hm, I buy some magazines but that is not news papers...
deanhills
spinout wrote:
the end is here, for me at least!
I just read e-papers!!
I thought there was little difference, an e-paper is an electronic newspaper? I actually see more and more people buying tablets so they can read their daily newspapers on it.
Very Happy
mukesh
yes I think hardly ten Years.
Radar
I think paper will outlast expectations, simply because of the familiarity and the ease of access. There's something comforting about the physical nature of an object, as opposed to our society's constant digital use.

Power may fail, viruses may occur, inability to use technology can happen, but paper will remain.

That's my hope anyway.
chasbeen
Very big support for the old newspaper
I had a very progitable relationship with the biggest on England way back in 2000
The main building was a palace and quite often the lift I moved up and down contained famous people...
However how long can this go on when readership declines?
The thing we all missed was that competing technologies will emulate and surpass the popularity of popular newspapers and this will occur because of improvements to software and hardware.
SEE NAMELESS THIS IS YET ANOTHER SENSIBLE DISCUSSION.
THATS 2 this week so I turned over a new leaf!
Peterssidan
I think it will take much more than 10 years. People will not change their habits that easily. World news is easy to find on the web but more local news can be harder to find. I know a local paper here, that don't have any news on the web, so there is not yet a replacement. 82 % of the households in this area buys it.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
I think it will take much more than 10 years. People will not change their habits that easily. World news is easy to find on the web but more local news can be harder to find. I know a local paper here, that don't have any news on the web, so there is not yet a replacement. 82 % of the households in this area buys it.
This brings back recollection of when I was using the Vancouver Skytrain (Metro) and plenty of newspapers being given for free as people in Vancouver like to read everywhere. I was completely fascinated with someone actually reading a book while she was walking. But everyone reads something - and in the morning it is more likely newspapers with local news that are freely available. Lots of advertising in it of course.
Nameless
deanhills wrote:
But everyone reads something - and in the morning it is more likely newspapers with local news that are freely available. Lots of advertising in it of course.

Compared to what, websites? At least you don't have to give the ads in the paper a good smack before they stay still.
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
deanhills wrote:
But everyone reads something - and in the morning it is more likely newspapers with local news that are freely available. Lots of advertising in it of course.

Compared to what, websites? At least you don't have to give the ads in the paper a good smack before they stay still.
Well when a hard copy newspaper is just about jammed into your hand before you get on the Sky Train (Metro Train) sort of sorts it out for people. Most people like to get things for free or just want to read something. Alternative is probably what I usually do. I don't like reading when I'm moving. That's the time for me to be lulled into a nice nap or just take in the scenery around me, particularly when I'm on the Ferry in between the Mainland and North Shore.
ocalhoun
Nameless wrote:
deanhills wrote:

... But I can't block the ads out either.
Nameless
ocalhoun wrote:
Nameless wrote:
deanhills wrote:

... But I can't block the ads out either.

Touche, but then what will you use to wrap delicious fish and chips in, hmm?
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
Also excellent for ripening avocados, keeping the homeless warm at night, packing material, covering windows in lieu of curtains, self-defense weapon ....
ocalhoun
Nameless wrote:

deanhills wrote:
Nameless wrote:
Also excellent for ripening avocados, keeping the homeless warm at night, packing material, covering windows in lieu of curtains,

No problem. There's a place locally that distributes free wanted-ads papers. Whenever I need a newspaper-type paper for such things, I just grab a whole stack of those out of the 'take one' bin.
(Also great tinder for starting fires... which is usually why I grab it.)
Quote:
self-defense weapon ....

If I may ask... please relate one story of a newspaper being successfully used as a weapon...
Peterssidan
ocalhoun wrote:
Quote:
self-defense weapon ....

If I may ask... please relate one story of a newspaper being successfully used as a weapon...

Here you have an intense fight with newspapers, fortunately no one was hurt.
Nameless
ocalhoun wrote:

Round One: FIGHT!
Peterssidan
Newspapers are also very useful to put in your shoes when they are wet.
suitza
I think it's going to happen in 10 years or maybe it takes longer time.
sketteksalfa
I think it is better this way. Less paper means less trees being cut off. Smile We are moving to a more paperless world and soon these newspapers will be gone forever
truespeed
When you buy a newspaper you are buying yesterdays news so i think it will happen sooner than people think.
Nameless
truespeed wrote:
When you buy a newspaper you are buying yesterdays news so i think it will happen sooner than people think.

How often does knowing the news right now instead of reading about the news 24 hours from now actually make any real difference to your life - and in the very rare occasion that something of that huge a personal importance does occur, how likely is it really that you won't hear about it from another source anyway?

The problem with online news sources that overly focus on breaking news (ie. every single goddamn one of them) is that it becomes increasingly difficult to learn "What's generally been happening in the world this last week?" when all that's presented to you is THANK GOD 31 minutes ago some random guy was arrested for a very minor crime or OH NO 1 hour 15 minutes ago a sort-of-celebrity wore a dress that was arguably out of style (and oh the author will argue) or HOLY CRAP 2 hours and 59 minutes ago a reporter theorised that a sporting decisions may or may not be made tomorrow! Print newspaper are forced by their medium to cut out a lot of the pointless 'news' and arrange the most important (or at least most populist) stories at the front to attract attention - making it much easier to get a quick overview.
deanhills
The last time "news" was really "news" for me was when I was living in South Africa and we had morning newspapers, afternoon newspapers and late edition evening newspapers. The reporting style was typically British newspaper style, and there was of course a great demand for it. Not sure what is happening there right now, but when I moved to Canada I was greatly disappointed. We in the colonies were led to think that North America was really that much better. And it was definitely not the case with news reporting. Only one edition newspaper in the mornings containing old news of the evening before. And not always very accurate. I also had to get used to the sensation type reporting both in type and live on TV. I.e. I was used to getting all the W's in the first paragraph, pyramid reporting style, yet had to search for all of those in North America, some of the Ws being completely missing finding myself Googling it to get more facts. People usually checked TV more for news than newspapers, and that was even worse, as you would get the exact same news OVER AND OVER again even as late as 11:00 p.m.

I'm not at all impressed with the quality of news on the Internet either. When a story breaks, everyone is clamouring to report it first, without checking the facts. I'm sure you must have noticed the great variation in casualty numbers from one story to the next. It's the same with trying to search for anything in Google. The stories that make it to the top of the list of the search engine are not necessarily the best quality ones nor most accurate. And then of course there is plenty of Media bias as well. Not only story wise, but also regionally wise. Al Jazeera with HQ in Qatar obviously won't be giving anyone a 100% true version of the facts if that would mean making people in the Middle East unhappy. BBC in Dubai would obviously only work on stories that may make them look good to the region. Whereas in the UK they may be much more objective and critical.
loremar
sketteksalfa wrote:
I think it is better this way. Less paper means less trees being cut off. Smile We are moving to a more paperless world and soon these newspapers will be gone forever

Agree! Very Happy Has anyone yet remembered the last time you used a pen?

I'll definitely miss crossword puzzles though.
Zuex
I'd say another good 20 years, everyone needs to yield a smart phone in order to have these e-papers, it's a shame though really, it feels almost tradition to read the paper on that specific type of paper they print it on haha, but there's a likely hood it will never die. I'm sure they'll always have printed copies too, it just might be harder to obtain them or more expensive.
ocalhoun
loremar wrote:

Agree! Very Happy Has anyone yet remembered the last time you used a pen?

*looks at clock*
Approximately four hours ago, to sign my terminal leave request.

Peterssidan wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Quote:
self-defense weapon ....

Here you have an intense fight with newspapers, fortunately no one was hurt.

Well, it is fortunate that nobody got hurt... but that doesn't say much for the efficacy of a newspaper as a weapon... Weapons are supposed to hurt.

Nameless wrote:

Why would you want to fight an innocent little fly?

I capture them and release them outside.
missdixy
Five. Definitely five years.

Why? Just because it was the middle option@!
Nameless
loremar wrote:
Has anyone yet remembered the last time you used a pen?

Sixteen and a half hours ago, to note a later-than-rostered finish on my paper sheet of work shifts. Also about six and a half hours before that to quickly jot down a few lines of poetry while I on the bus. Oh yes, and several dozen times between those two events when I needed to mark fast food wrappers for special orders. Smile
tingkagol
ocalhoun wrote:
Nameless wrote:

Why would you want to fight an innocent little fly?

I capture them and release them outside.

Wrong image...

deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
We learned this at school for stuff that are handy to use in self defense. A newspaper rolled up just right can provide a nice way of poking someone. Peterssidan provided a good example of what it could do. So can a bunch of keys and quite a number of other articles.

Agreed with flies and mosquitoes being pests plain and simple. And some of them very harmful for human health. Only positive use is as food for frogs and flycatchers.
Very Happy
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
A newspaper rolled up just right can provide a nice way of poking someone.

Okay, maybe a weapon then... but still a very poor one.

tingkagol wrote:

Wrong image...

Ah, now that's a legitimate target for the use of a newspaper as a self-defense weapon.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
A newspaper rolled up just right can provide a nice way of poking someone.

Okay, maybe a weapon then... but still a very poor one.
Definitely poor when compared with your gun arsenal .... hehe ....
Twisted Evil