FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you understand the language of your neighbor countries?

Peterssidan
Do you understand the language spoken in your neighbor countries, without having studied the language?

I'm from Sweden so the neighbor countries are Norway, Denmark and Finland.
Norwegian is very similar to Swedish, and it's possible to understand most of what they say.
Danish is much harder to understand because their pronunciation is so different. Danish text is easier to understand though, but still harder than Norwegian.
Finnish is impossible to understand because it is a totally unrelated language.
This is my opinion and people from other parts of the country might have a slightly different opinion.
Nameless
I'm an Australian and sadly I do not understand the language of ANY of the fish that live in our surrounding waters. I'm such a racist like that. Sad
catscratches
I'm a swede as well and have pretty much the same experience. Though I live in the southern parts of Sweden, very close to Denmark, so I have an easier time understanding Danish (partly from watching danish TV as a kid).
ocalhoun
Heh, with Canada and Mexico being the only neighbors, it's pretty easy.

(But despite that, my Spanish is still really rough.)
Afaceinthematrix
Yes. I live in the U.S. so I only have to worry about Spanish. Puedo comprender mucho español y hablo un pequito español.
Josso
I got an E in French at school, personally I thought that was pretty lucky.
deanhills
I'm really bad. In the time I've been living in the UAE I've only picked up on a smattering of Arabic. I tried to learn Zulu in South Africa, which is a universal language that everyone can understand in the surrounding countries, but have lost most of it by now. My French in Canada was and still is atrocious.
Embarassed
sledge32
The only language i anderstand is english. Most of my neighbours speak english except for Cuba and Haiti.
mukesh
I am Indian and about 50% i can understand neighbours languages. But i cant write or read Laughing
Vanilla
I'm brazilian and all my neighbours speak spanish, which is not very different from portuguese. The problem is that they speak really fast, so sometimes I can't understand a thing. I lived three years in Bolivia so I can read spanish quite well and write some things. When they slow down the talk I can understand almost everything.

I would love to speak russian, japanese or german. I just like the way these languages sound. Very Happy
shivaghimire
I am from Nepal, a small country between India and China. I speak Nepali and similar to Hindi, language of India. But I cannot speak any word of Chinese people. I think Chinese is too much difficult to learn.
vidafenomenal
although we can not speak but we can understand somehow of our neighbour country's language.
jmlworld
My nighbouring countries have 98% different languages. Some of them have totally irregular script so you cannot understand even their numbering system. Others speak a mixture of 10 different languages. But most of them can speak either in English or Arabic or both, so I don't have problem with that.

By the way, my local language is so rare that they speak it only in 4 countries. 2 of them as one of the official languages and the remaining two as one of their 30+ local languages.

I have been in Turkey few years ago, but I didn't learn more than a dozen of their language. Turkish language is very hard to learn. Arabic is easy to learn though and few months in the UAE and watching Arabic TV's helped me learn it.
deanhills
jmlworld wrote:
My nighbouring countries have 98% different languages. Some of them have totally irregular script so you cannot understand even their numbering system. Others speak a mixture of 10 different languages. But most of them can speak either in English or Arabic or both, so I don't have problem with that.

By the way, my local language is so rare that they speak it only in 4 countries. 2 of them as one of the official languages and the remaining two as one of their 30+ local languages.

I have been in Turkey few years ago, but I didn't learn more than a dozen of their language. Turkish language is very hard to learn. Arabic is easy to learn though and few months in the UAE and watching Arabic TV's helped me learn it.
Shocked Wow! How many languages can you make yourself understood in?

I was unaware Turkey had that many dialects.
faten
yes i think its a big problem too, its good if all of you knowing English at least to communicate
jmlworld
deanhills wrote:
jmlworld wrote:

Shocked Wow! How many languages can you make yourself understood in?

I was unaware Turkey had that many dialects.

Dean, I didn't say they had a lot of dialects, I said I only managed to learn a dozen of vocabulary words from their language. ^_^
deanhills
jmlworld wrote:
Dean, I didn't say they had a lot of dialects, I said I only managed to learn a dozen of vocabulary words from their language. ^_^
ROFL .... Laughing OK that is about where I am too, although mine could be less than dozen.
User_X
English only . I'm in the US.
I use a translator a lot for text.
MineF
I live in the Netherlands
And in Belgium they speak dutch/french and I understand french so yes I can understand them
And I understand the language in Germany because it's almost similar as Dutch