FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


A 'Like' button..





Hammy
I just read a post, and i instictively when to press the 'like' button, however it wasnt there Sad
Damn you facebook!

So, i propose a button next to the 'Report' and 'Quote' button.. called 'Like'.
Not linked to facebook in any way.

People can show their appreciation and liking to a post by clicking the like button. Next to the button, it will say '3 people like this post!' ...
Hovering over it, will show you the names of who liked it.

Sometimes while reading a thread, some posts deserve a good 'Liking' while passing through.


Yes, there are similar things like 'thanking' people, but im not a big fan of the thanks button.

Simple but efficient!
Moveing forwards with the times!

Any thoughts?

Press the 'LIKE' button if you li... Oh no wait!
Just reply 'Like' if you like the idea Wink

EDIT from post below:
Hammy wrote:
To add to the idea.. How about if the post author recieves 0.2 coins for every 'Like' their post receives, Surely this would ecourage more interesting, indepth and helpful posts to be posted on the forum.
Nameless
Hammy wrote:
Press the 'LIKE' button if you li... Oh no wait!
Just reply 'Like' if you like the idea Wink

And that is exactly why 'like' buttons aren't needed and in fact discourage conversation and personal praise.
Peterssidan
I think this suggestion is similar to the suggestion about adding a thank you button, and I have nothing more to add.
saratdear
Why not have a like button which links to Facebook, then? I imagine this could drive in some traffic for Frihost.
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
Hammy wrote:
Press the 'LIKE' button if you li... Oh no wait!
Just reply 'Like' if you like the idea Wink

And that is exactly why 'like' buttons aren't needed and in fact discourage conversation and personal praise.
I'm with you on this one Nameless. I'm posting at FreeWebSpace.net and they have a system (called repping). People get it both ways. They click for the posts they like, and the ones they don't like and in both cases have the option to give their reasons. It's a bit acrimonious - and not smooth sailing, as well as put extra loads on the Moderators. I'd far rather that someone say they liked a post and why they liked it. And be diplomatic when they don't. Wink
ocalhoun
saratdear wrote:
Why not have a like button which links to Facebook, then? I imagine this could drive in some traffic for Frihost.

Completely different suggestion than the OP.
Hammy
I disagree with.. everyone.

Your saying a like button will discourage someone from contributing to a post? Highly unlikely, If someone has something to say on the matter, they will post it.
If anything, a 'Like' button will make people feel more involved with the forum.

While browsing I may have nothing to say on a matter, but if i find a post amusing or intresting... I'd like to back it up with a 'Like'.

To add to the idea.. How about if the post author recieves 0.2 coins for every 'Like' their post receives, Surely this would ecourage more interesting, indepth and helpful posts to be posted on the forum.


And.. This is nothing like a Thank You button.

However i'm with ocalhoun, a facebook 'like' button is completely different, and not sure how that would be handled.
_AVG_
I don't think a Like button should be added, or at least not with the Coin reward, because then with time, people will start "Liking" almost anything, which will then defeat the proposed purpose of the Like button. Just see what people "Like" on Facebook nowadays, almost everything has a certain number of "Likes" associated with it!
Dementei
I think it's worth a try, good suggestion sir Hammy, and I do believe also it would make ppl feel more involved. And if one were to simply like a post/thread whatever it helps by having more quality posts instead of short ones that the like button would have covered already, but that's just a theory I suppose.
ocalhoun
Well, if such a thing is made, there should probably also be a 'dislike' button... And it could be made so that a certain number of dislikes without likes to counteract them would replace a post with:
"This post has been rated poorly, so it was hidden. Click Here to show this post."


So then, you combine it with a useful anti-spam/anti-troll measure.
Nameless
ocalhoun wrote:
"This post has been rated poorly, so it was hidden. Click Here to show this post."

The problem with this kind of message is that on almost every site I come across it, I'm immediately drawn to find out exactly what was so hated that the internet bothered to dislike it instead of just skimming over it - meaning the bad post may actually get more attention than it otherwise would have!
Dementei
Nameless wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
"This post has been rated poorly, so it was hidden. Click Here to show this post."

The problem with this kind of message is that on almost every site I come across it, I'm immediately drawn to find out exactly what was so hated that the internet bothered to dislike it instead of just skimming over it - meaning the bad post may actually get more attention than it otherwise would have!

Same here.
_AVG_
ocalhoun wrote:
Well, if such a thing is made, there should probably also be a 'dislike' button... And it could be made so that a certain number of dislikes without likes to counteract them would replace a post with:
"This post has been rated poorly, so it was hidden. Click Here to show this post."


So then, you combine it with a useful anti-spam/anti-troll measure.


As far as the anti-spam measure is concerned, I feel that the "Report this post" button is better, and as far as Nameless's point is concerned, a post with many "Reports" / "Dislikes" can be deleted.
User_X
I was to give a aye aye on this idea until I read what Nameless said. Unfortunately I agree with... with... he's nameless so I have to agree with the person with a symbol (Nameless) lol
With the posting going down a bit from the stat thread someone gave earlier this should be researched, if it's even possible on phpBB with or without a hack.
http://www.frihost.com/search/post_statistics.php

Where's the multi-quote thingy?

Hammy's 1st post makes me say "research" on this. He has a point. It may be true but I don't know. Nothing should come in the way to discourage or a easy way out to post but Anything to get more involvement is a plus for sure. I can see myself leaning both ways & I don't frequent any forums with a thank you or like button to try in real time. I'd have to think on this one.

If there were Like button then I agree with ocalhoun a Dislike button needs to be there even if it did noting but change numbers

I'm used to working with vBulletin & have only dabbled with phpBB in admin. Here's what I came up with in a quick search
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=2113726
http://www.ericm.ca/2010/09/02/facebooks-like-button-and-integration-with-phpbb
http://boardreader.com/thread/DEV_Like_Mod_9789X19aym.html


Unrelated to this thread but it looks like a Facebook button to put on your website with a code generator too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYxtKSKUq1A
http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like/



I love how we type this "work" up for the staff to do lol. I'm bushed
IceCreamTruck
I read this whole thread, and took it away, thought about it for a minute, and have found an argument that makes having a like and dislike buttons easily accessible not only a good idea, but also the right thing to do. Think about this...

Accessibility -- the inclusion of a like/dislike button set helps encourage communication and participation of those who are disabled or who become disabled. I am not saying it should or shouldn't happen, as I don't currently have time to stop and write the code either, but I wanted to point out that there is this valid argument that shouldn't be ignored or forgotten.

I feel it was a good suggestion, even if that is all that it was, but thought it was a little one sided in that no one was providing "pro"s and "con"s where like popcorn. POP! POP! POP! probably a few more by the time people are reading this thread ... again. Smile
Hogwarts
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Accessibility -- the inclusion of a like/dislike button set helps encourage communication and participation of those who are disabled or who become disabled. I am not saying it should or shouldn't happen, as I don't currently have time to stop and write the code either, but I wanted to point out that there is this valid argument that shouldn't be ignored or forgotten.


That's not really a valid argument. You do not elaborate on how it "helps encourage communication and participation of those who are disabled", you simply say that it does.
loremar
I honestly like the idea of a like button. Sometimes people read a post and just somehow couldn't say a comment; they just simply like it.

There are a number of times where I read a post like a funny comment, a parody song from Nameless, or Deanhills getting ecstatic about something, or Bikerman trashing somebody's comment, then I said, "Where's a like button when you need one."

Wouldn't Frihost be more lively if you could say that you like someone's post in the most simplest way or that you'd find out that somebody likes your post.

It doesn't have to be a reputation system; we want to keep everything genuine.
IceCreamTruck
Hogwarts wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Accessibility -- the inclusion of a like/dislike button set helps encourage communication and participation of those who are disabled or who become disabled. I am not saying it should or shouldn't happen, as I don't currently have time to stop and write the code either, but I wanted to point out that there is this valid argument that shouldn't be ignored or forgotten.


That's not really a valid argument. You do not elaborate on how it "helps encourage communication and participation of those who are disabled", you simply say that it does.


I did... imagine you get into an accident and loose 90% of your fingers. Your commenting volume would go down, assuming you'd still want to read forums on frihost like me, but you could still click a "like" button very easily, and thus, add to the conversation. It's accessible in that it allows those who won't or can't type a full message to participate -- just so we're clear I'm only adding this because there seemed to be no "pro" like button arguments.

I am a web developer, and from what I have read I'm not the only one who views this as an accessibility feature on a website. Facebook's inclusion of "like" and exclusion of "dislike" is completely messed up, and just about the only wrong way of going about this, as it's not wrong to have both, or to not have any. Ultimately it requires a skilled phpbb/frihostian programmer to actually perform the modification, and I don't have the time or budget to complete this any time soon. Bondings encourages discussion, obviously, but getting one or not often depends on need, and we'll probably never "need" the like button. Perhaps someone will "gift" frihost a like button? Facebook already gave away it's dislike, so who knows.
lucascoelho
Besides the accessibility argument, that makes some sense (some because yes, I agree it can be a little help, but it's still a very little help), I guess the Like AND Dislike button might reduce a lot of posts just saying "Nice, I like it man!" or "Humm, I don't think so...". If you don't have anything else to add to the discussion, you just mark there that you like it or not. Actually, one may even do that and post a reply adding their comments, so I don't see how those buttons could be a problem.

But, just to keep it clear: if we should have a Like button, there must be a Dislike button by its side. Having one but not the other is a great mistake, commercially driven, just like on Facebook. I imagine no one wants it here.

Also, maybe we could go beyond the Like/ Dislike, with something like a degree of agreement (as those stars some websites have) or even different options like Useful, Entertaining or any other sort of categories of Like/ Dislike feelings. Confusing? Rolling Eyes Hope not...
IceCreamTruck
lucascoelho wrote:
Having one but not the other is a great mistake, commercially driven, just like on Facebook. I imagine no one wants it here.


Yes! Yes! Yes!

IceCreamTruck Likes this comment
IceCreamTruck gives this comment 5 stars
IceCreamTruck recommends this comment
IceCreamTruck's head explodes!

Actually I feel like that dude who tries to encourage Neo in the train station of the Matrix. When he tells Neo that love is just a word to him. Frihost is a word, but it is a good word backed by good people, and it will go on despite the changes or lack thereof, apparently, because this is a good old custom system.

I tried to get into phpBB a long time ago, and that didn't work out, so I basically wrote my own, and I'd put together the final touches, and take it live again, but I started a new job and some personal projects had to take a back burner.
Related topics
Adverts blocking submit button
Why not have a report button??
Button 80*15 Frihost ?
88x31 button wanted
Simulating the back button
button graphic?
Does Frihost have a link button/bar?
Open outlook button...
How to code Minimise button using action script in Flash?
How can I change the caption of Browse button?
Need button and logo
I need a button to my web-site...
Link Space 1FRIH$ / Month --- Button Link 2FRIH$ /month
The evil 'email' button :(
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.