FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Oh good. (or: An Open Letter to my Local Chemist)

Nameless
It's that time of year again. Okay I kid, I fully expect this kind of thing from department or grocery stores - they all have at least a corner dedicated to storing and selling merchandise for whatever holiday is coming up next. But you too, chemist? Medication is something I really feel should not be presented with festivity. Or is it I who misjudges such things, and the average customer really does buy that much extra herbal shampoo or nail varnish or vitamin pills in the presence of tinsel?

Wait. Given the slowly increasing advertising from the grocery store, that last one wouldn't actually surprise me. Well played, chemist. Well played.
watersoul
Lol, I know it's crazy isn't it.
The day after Halloween most of the stores here started putting their Christmas stock/decorations up, desperate for business in these tricky economic times I guess. I tend to ignore most of it myself, I only go to shops for my particular required purchases and nothing else, browsing has never been my thing and I'm in and out as quick as I can.

...I can just imagine your chemist now "Get your festive Hemorrhoid cream today, 20% on all purchases before Christmas!" Laughing
deanhills
Good point. I also wonder what's in the advertisement deal for the pharmacist and whether he is confident that that particular brand of drug is the best one available for the patient both from quality and cost point of view?
Ankhanu
watersoul wrote:
The day after Halloween most of the stores here started putting their Christmas stock/decorations up

Sadly, the local outlet of the Hudson Bay Company had a section out with Christmas trees et al. when I went in to buy some sunglasses... [i]2 weeks before Halloween![/u] Madness, I say!

watersoul wrote:
...I can just imagine your chemist now "Get your festive Hemorrhoid cream today, 20% on all purchases before Christmas!" Laughing

Very Happy

deanhills wrote:
Good point. I also wonder what's in the advertisement deal for the pharmacist and whether he is confident that that particular brand of drug is the best one available for the patient both from quality and cost point of view?

Best for the patient is secondary to profitable for the retailer and supplier. </cynic>
ocalhoun
Okay, now I'm curious... what kind of medications did they put in their holiday display?
standready
watersoul wrote:
The day after Halloween most of the stores here started putting their Christmas stock/decorations up,

All stores here including pharmacies had small Christmas displays up even before Halloween. I went into one store as they were sitting up for Halloween in late September. Told one stocker that I had just seen something really scary! She asked "what?" I pointed one aisle over and said "Christmas!"
standready
ocalhoun wrote:
Okay, now I'm curious... what kind of medications did they put in their holiday display?

Anti-depressants!
Nameless
Technically the advertisement that I noticed was for the supposedly low price of their 'beauty products' (in the obvious shape of a Christmas tree), but there was tinsel over the whole store. I can understand most stores having a constant holiday display for Christmas after Halloween is over - they're not going to leave the shelf space empty, rearranging it twice would be impractical, there's no reason for them not to start stockpiling the Christmas merchandise now given how much they presumably sell, holiday themed food is perfectly edible any time etc. The chemist doesn't really change it's products though, and it feels a little off-putting to be presented with that kind of a jovial atmosphere when I'm going in for drugs that I sometimes need to counter hay fever or migraines.
deanhills
My worst irritation is Xmas carols playing - and in the Supermarket I visit, it is the exact same tape playing for three years in a row, my visits are now double fast to what they were before. No tinsels yet, also none in the pharmacy, BUT some of the stores in Dubai Mall started with tinsels before Halloween. And before Eid Al Adha.
Nameless
Christmas carols in supermarkets used to cause extreme frustration and maddening detest in me whenever I forced to listen to them while stuck in queue or something. But since moving away from my parents and doing my own shopping this year, I've come to truly desire strangling whoever wrote a certain repetitious jingle in the nearest/cheapest supermarket I visit - such that a whole tape of looping carols would come as a welcome respite! I am a well adjusted human being. Very Happy
ocalhoun
Nameless wrote:
I am a well adjusted human being. Very Happy

No, you're not.
And that's a good thing.

These places play carols and jingles for a reason... A reason that has everything to do with their own greed, and nothing to do with your well-being.

To become well-adjusted to such a poorly-formed society... well, that would make you a poorly-formed person.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
To become well-adjusted to such a poorly-formed society... well, that would make you a poorly-formed person.
Must say I haven't felt this good about myself in a very long time!