FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Make a Link Open new Tab in Explorer

Possum
Hi

How do you make a new tab open in Explorer when a user clicks a link that has _blank in the link. The link opens a new explorer window not a new tab like in Firefox and Chrome.

Thank you.
hw3patch
Whether the link opens in a new window or a new tab depends on the browser's preferences. In the preferences of Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome, look for an option that says something along the lines of:

Open links meant to open a new window in:
() the current tab/window
() a new tab in the current window
() a new window

Whatever that is set to will determine how a link with the target="_blank" attribute is handled. I'm not sure where that preference is located in the browsers that you're testing, and I don't have any of those browsers installed to check, but it should be easy enough to find.

It might be possible to override that preference with Javascript if it's that important to you that the link opens a certain way. I don't know any Javascript, however, so I wouldn't be able to help you with that.
Possum
thx hw3patch
hw3patch
No problem.
sonam
Possum wrote:
Hi

How do you make a new tab open in Explorer when a user clicks a link that has _blank in the link. The link opens a new explorer window not a new tab like in Firefox and Chrome.

Thank you.

I didn't test in all browsers but _blank in some browsers open new tab and in other new window (for example IE). I think this is browser issue and maybe you can solve this via Javascript (like suggest hw3patch) but I will not invest lot of effort in this problem.

Sonam