FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Getting started in a new country

The_unnamed_label
Hey!! few months ago I moved to England from France.. trying to find a job at the moment...

Has anyone of you guys moved abroad? Do you have tips or stories to share?
Did you find it hard finding a job and a place etc??
what were you motivations?
Vanilla
My father moved to Bolivia to work and everybody moved with him.

The first problem is the language. I'm brazilian and I speak portuguese. In Bolivia, they speak spanish. I thought "OK, latin languages, similar languages..." and then I actually heard the bolivians talking. It just freaked my out. I couldn't understand a thing, they spoke so fast! I kinda get used to spanish so now I can understand it. And I really love how it sounds. Very Happy

Language can be such a barrier. I don't know if you can speak french, but if I have to give you some advice I'd say learn the country's idiom! Laughing
Hammy
My first tip would be .. Move back to france Smile

That be all..

Aha, just kidding, welcome to england! It's not usualy this warm in the winter, expect it to get much colder.
Where did you move to? I live in the the North East.

Making friends would probably be your first step.
deanhills
Hammy wrote:
My thought exactly! Move back to France!
Very Happy
The_unnamed_label
Hammy wrote:

That be all..

Aha, just kidding, welcome to england! It's not usualy this warm in the winter, expect it to get much colder.

HAHA!!! no way.. I'm not planning on going back to France really... and I know the country a little... just find it complicated to find that bl**dy job really...

I moved to Kent as a first step but I wanna relocate to west London, surrey or Middlesex asap...

I met few people but not easy to go out and such atm..
deanhills
The_unnamed_label wrote:
How about Canada then ..... hehe
Twisted Evil
The_unnamed_label
Vanilla wrote:
My father moved to Bolivia to work and everybody moved with him.

The first problem is the language. I'm brazilian and I speak portuguese. In Bolivia, they speak spanish. I thought "OK, latin languages, similar languages..." and then I actually heard the bolivians talking. It just freaked my out. I couldn't understand a thing, they spoke so fast! I kinda get used to spanish so now I can understand it. And I really love how it sounds. Very Happy

Language can be such a barrier. I don't know if you can speak french, but if I have to give you some advice I'd say learn the country's idiom! Laughing

I totally agree... learning idiom is one good thing... but it comes with time!
The_unnamed_label
deanhills wrote:
The_unnamed_label wrote:
Twisted Evil

Mind you, I wanted to move to Canada in the past... but life has been such that I had to change my mind - England is great though... gotta go where your heart belongs eh?
deanhills
The_unnamed_label wrote:
deanhills wrote:
The_unnamed_label wrote:
Twisted Evil

Mind you, I wanted to move to Canada in the past... but life has been such that I had to change my mind - England is great though... gotta go where your heart belongs eh?
I'm sure France will never allow you back in their country for saying that - or did you mean a love interest in England? Twisted Evil
watersoul
The_unnamed_label wrote:
Hammy wrote:

That be all..

HAHA!!! no way.. I'm not planning on going back to France really... and I know the country a little... just find it complicated to find that bl**dy job really...

I moved to Kent as a first step but I wanna relocate to west London, surrey or Middlesex asap...

I'm with Hammy, a warm welcome to England and ignore anyone trying to perpetuate silly stereotypes about England/France stuff going on, or which country is better/worse.
You'll meet the odd prick on this island, of course, I even get it myself sometimes being a Welshman who moved to England, but they're just small minded folk who don't represent the majority.

Any established French communites in the SE you can find on the net?
You might find a cheap room in a house share plus good networking links from the other tenants.
Whatever happens, good luck with your move here, if you'd posted this at the start of summer I'd have pointed you in the direction of many language schools in my area crying out for bilingual activity leaders etc., maybe next summer perhaps, far more chilled out than London way Laughing
vidafenomenal
if you have money,nothing is difficult.
chasbeen
Hi we just bought a house in England and are now back in Canada. Confused?
Thing is we moved to Canada 10 years ago and now we are moving BACK to England
because it is the best country in the world
We moved to Canada partly because there would be no language problems but I have had my fill and want to get bam to England/uk by the way Scottish and Irish are fellow Brits
Work took me 9 months to find.
Hammy
The_unnamed_label wrote:
Hammy wrote:

That be all..

Heh, good luck with the job hunt mate.
You may have heard on the news about record number of people looking for work at the minute. Your best chances for a job are down near London.
Dont give up =]
missdixy
The job hunt can be tricky. I've never moved before without having a job lined up or moving to go to school on a scholarship. But anyway, one of my best motivations when moving somewhere new is to get out and about A LOT and really get to know your new home country!!!
deanhills
I found that doing courses was very helpful. Canada has plenty of those everywhere and most of them very affordable. It helped me to channel into the idioms, etc. and get to know people. Also kept me focused. Tough to find a job when people are asking for local experience.
sledge32
My advice is, try and build some some friendships and they will be able to give you a view pointers as to where to look for jobs or may be even get a job for you where they work also.
The_unnamed_label
deanhills wrote:
I'm sure France will never allow you back in their country for saying that - or did you mean a love interest in England? Twisted Evil

France is bit shitty nowadays... there you go, now I shall be banned forever haha!!
I love the country...
Love interest in England? haha.... maybe... who knows.
The_unnamed_label
Hammy wrote:

Heh, good luck with the job hunt mate.
You may have heard on the news about record number of people looking for work at the minute. Your best chances for a job are down near London.
Dont give up =]

missdixy wrote:
The job hunt can be tricky. I've never moved before without having a job lined up or moving to go to school on a scholarship. But anyway, one of my best motivations when moving somewhere new is to get out and about A LOT and really get to know your new home country!!!

sledge32 wrote:
My advice is, try and build some some friendships and they will be able to give you a view pointers as to where to look for jobs or may be even get a job for you where they work also.

Thanks guys... it's very tricky indeed... and SO frustrating!!!!
deanhills
The_unnamed_label wrote:
France is bit shitty nowadays... there you go, now I shall be banned forever haha!!
No, that actually sounded very French to me .... hehe ..... Twisted Evil
The_unnamed_label
deanhills wrote:
The_unnamed_label wrote:
No, that actually sounded very French to me .... hehe ..... Twisted Evil

I hope I will be English on day Razz
faten
deanhills wrote:
Hammy wrote:
My thought exactly! Move back to France!
Very Happy

you are right. Smile
90dota
let us go
deanhills
90dota wrote:
let us go
To France or England? I'd choose England. No contest there for me. Very Happy
chasbeen
Hope to finish my move to Sittingbourne, Kent UK on Jan 6th 2012.
I have been living in Canada since 2002 and I am looking forward to going back to where I was brung up!
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
Hope to finish my move to Sittingbourne, Kent UK on Jan 6th 2012.
I have been living in Canada since 2002 and I am looking forward to going back to where I was brung up!
As far as I know that is quite a picturesque part of the UK you're moving to. Best wishes for your new beginnings there. Albeit probably at the coldest time of the year?
Very Happy
Helios
Well we actually moved to Israel from some-place out there in the world.
The biggest problem (if not the language) is the period between your arrival and having a good financial base. The three F's that you must locate and secure are: finances, a flat and friends.
Personally, we had some difficulties with money when we arrived and made the mistake of not purchasing an apartment when the prices were low, but on the other hand we were sort of running away so there wasn't much for my folks to do expect getting a job and sending me to school right away. We could've moved to a different place and maybe have a better start, but most of our family was here in Israel...