FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Would you rather have, a raise in salary or access to Facebo

sledge32
Majority of Young Workers Value Social Media Over a Steady Paycheck

What would you rather have, a raise in salary or access to Facebook at work? How you answer that question is highly dependent on your age.

Cisco conducted a survey of 2,800 young professionals across fourteen countries and they came up with data that, while not unexpected, is still a little disturbing.

Part Two of the 2011 Cisco Connected World Technology Report focused on social media, mobile technology and the workplace. Overall, they found that connecting to people on the internet was a big priority for the under 30 crowd, so much so, that they were willing to sacrifice financial stability in order to have access. Read the rest at http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2011/11/majority-of-young-workers-value-social-media-over-a-steady-paycheck.html
Dementei
That is messed up, screw that dude I'll take the monies.

"I have a son who fits squarely in this age group, so I asked for his thoughts on this stat. He thought the number was too low. The way he figures it, the real diehards were too busy on Facebook to even answer the survey, so he’s going with two out of four. I tend to agree."

I lol'd.
c'tair
God damn, what is wrong with people? I'd go for the money of course. Sure, I have facebook, I usually check it quickly once or twice a day at most. It doesn't replace human interaction.
Peterssidan
I don't have a Facebook account so I go for the money.
Nameless
If you're allowed access to Facebook (or any recreational website, really) at work then you are going to be spending less hours actually working for the same pay - ergo, either choice amounts to an increase in dollars per efforts spent. Ergo, what the question really boils down to is "Do I want or need more employment?" ERGO, lots of people are happy with their current lifestyle I guess? Good for them?
deanhills
I'm confused. Surely one's supposed to work when you are employed. The employer is completely within its rights to block the page at work.

I'm also confused that people should be getting a blanket raise. Surely that is something that needs to be earned.
Confused
suitza
Hmm, that is weird dude. Higher salary sounds better though. Very Happy
User_X
O man. Priority's. What a waste some of these these youngsters are. Facebook sucks a. Such a privacy issue. Most don't know or care. That or to stupid to close those holes & start un-checking things on their account. By then it's to late. Don't get me started on FB...

I'll take the cash-a-rue any day

I did finally look at Google + last nite. I like the looks much much better then FB.
Will I make a Google + page? Someday. Maybe soon. I don't like the fact of having to allow JavaScript for it in my browser though
bukaida
What a comparison!! Although it is not uncommon for people to leave the job for passion ( like Writing/Music/Acting). But if Facebook takes that category, then it is really alarming.
Nameless
User_X wrote:
O man. Priority's. What a waste some of these these youngsters are. Facebook sucks a. Such a privacy issue. Most don't know or care. That or to stupid to close those holes & start un-checking things on their account. By then it's to late. Don't get me started on FB...

Do you also, when passing chatting friends in the street, jealously grumble that they're wasting their time standing on such terrible sidewalk and don't they even care that everybody can see them and even if they were less stupid and quietened their voices by now it's too late?
User_X
Nameless wrote:
User_X wrote:

Do you also, when passing chatting friends in the street, jealously grumble that they're wasting their time standing on such terrible sidewalk and don't they even care that everybody can see them and even if they were less stupid and quietened their voices by now it's too late?

Um no I don't.
After reading what I wrote it's a bit harsh, albeit, truthful. It may of come out wrong even after myself reading it again. I apologize if so. The harshness alone comes from Facebook & the privacy issues. I mean why else would a group of volunteers come out with this
http://www.reclaimprivacy.org
http://newbies-pc.com/8896/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100:test-your-facebook-privacy-settings&catid=47:security

Because of things like this
Zuckerberg is considering allowing kids under 13 yrs of age
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/25/zuckerberg_age

I'm not a hater at all minus liars & thieves & Mega lazy. I'm very compassionate to all like the mentally challenged, mental illnesses, physically ill etc etc. But FB sucks for the ignorant. It Does have it's purpose I thoroughly agree. After showing a few members of my last site about some privacy related things about FB they themselves chose to disable their account. There was No recommendation from me to do so. I just show them facts.
Enough derailing from me

When I first read this thread yesterday I immediately thought about all the perks that those who work for Google. If you don't know all the perks they have by all means look that up. It's quite interesting. I would tend to say they are allowed a certain amount of time on the social media sites like Facebook

Money over being able to visit social sites any day for me.
iiinvest
It's interesting how people would even consider asking about the access to social media while having an interview.

"About two of three college students (64%) said they plan to ask about social media usage policies during job interviews, and one in four overall (24%) said it will be a key factor in their decision to accept an offer."

Maybe this is the reason that young people aren't getting hired for jobs. I'm sure many employers would be a little hesitant when asked "Do workers have access to Facebook?" which is code for I slack off.

Now maybe before the advent of the smartphone, access to social media through a work computer would seem more important but now many people have access to all their social media via their smartphone and 3g/4g connection.
Nameless
iiinvest wrote:
I'm sure many employers would be a little hesitant when asked "Do workers have access to Facebook?" which is code for I slack off.

If I were the person conducting the interview I'd probably save myself some time and kick them out of the room right then. Very Happy
Josso
How about neither?

It's absolutely mental that this survey has even been done.

Finely predicting human behaviour and trends for profit and control ftw
FastDebrid
I find the question funny. hihih.
Unless you are that addicted to Facebook, you won't choose that over a raise in salary. That's crazy. ;P
I mean, I can access FB when I'm not at work so it's not really a loss for me if I'm not be able to access it at work. hihih.
Plus, a raise in salary means more monetary means to buy necessities and to be of help to others. Wink
pll
I go for the money if I have a normal job.

But if I have a job where I need to make like 100 Hours a week I think I would need facebook so I can get in touch with some friends&family when I can't see them...
bgreese
I find that truly hard to believe. I wonder how many of those young people were answering simply to make a joke. I certainly would take the money before I would take access to Facebook, and I basically live on Facebook when I am not working. Not only my social networking but a lot of work business is done on Facebook. Money, however, will always outweigh access to social media in my book.
mathiaus
22, not in anyway hooked to Facebook, in all ways hooked to money, whether I like it or not.

Then again, I have access to both access Facebook from my phone if I wanted, or even just add an exception for myself which no-one would know about. I'm far too honest to be doing that though Angel
Ryox
If I had an job at an office where it involved computers, most would say Yes, let's do facebook but, what is the point of having a job where you are just gonna do facebook all day and not get your job done..

Facebook is nice to most because you can communicate with friends and family but that time is suppose to be left at home, not at work..

Working is one important thing to most because it involves getting paid, you don't get paid for sitting around at work being on facebook... (We wish!) lol
belltown
I'd go for the money, too. I really don't care if I have no access to facebook; I don't use it anyway. I'd rather spend my time keeping in touch with my real friends, face-to-face, rather than posting for a bunch of virtual "friends". I know many people on facebook who have dozens of "friends", most of which aren't even people that they'd even want to hang out with in real life.
LegendVPN
I'd like to have access on FB but I'd prefer a raise. XP Can I just have both?
codersfriend
I go for money.. facebook sometimes reduces the productivity.. and I can always visit it later.. it won't go away Smile
LegendVPN
codersfriend wrote:
I go for money.. facebook sometimes reduces the productivity.. and I can always visit it later.. it won't go away Smile

You got that right. Facebook will not feed you or clothe you. ;P
mochipie
Seeing as I never really go on my facebook unless I get an email about it and it actually requires my attention... the answer is pretty obvious.
portoskt
i have full access to internet in my office, but i even now dont use facebook at all... i just dont like it, so i vote for sallary raise
psychorollercoaster
money comes first....before almost anything...facebook...ahh nevermind...it dosent even count Wink
bluepig83
I can't believe that this is even a question. Of course having a raise in salary is much more preferable hands down.

With the proliferation of smart phones these days, even if you aren't able to access social media on your desktop browser, you have a discrete way to get to it right there on the phone.
darthrevan
For me that is a very easy answer, a raise. The only time that somebody may choose FB is if they are rich and still make enough to not worry about anything. I am not rich, so I need a raise, besides I do to much for a little.
rx9876
Buy a mobile device with the raised salary to use facebook.
Problem solved.
Yeah!
grofet
im not a heavy user of facebook so i only use it maybe several times a year. i dont like facebook since its can makes me addicted. i would choose raise in salary rather than access to facebook. facebook is just like ciggarette i think. you should stay away from facebook too for your goodness. cheers.
iyepes
I would take the extra income, I can access Facebook from home or my own tablet in my leisure time. Strange answers those people gave.
TheGremlyn
I would have to go with money. I mean I'd like to think I'd earned the raise to begin with (been there a while and always doing a great job, occasionally does something amazing). I mean, I don't need Facebook to get through my day, I need Frihost Razz
Nick2008
Yes, I would also take the pay raise. There are plenty of other ways to communicate with people other than Facebook.

Now if it was pay raise vs. access to the internet, then the choice would be harder to make!
capricornis
I don't see what the problem is with accessing Facebook at work as long as you keep it short. It is just like checking your personal email at work. A 5 minute email/facebook check break every couple of hours will not hurt productivity and will raise job satisfaction.