FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Free Wifi 1,3 or 5 years

chasbeen
At the moment you need a contract for Wifi anywhere right?
However competing businesses such as shops air terminals or even shopping centers provide free Wifi
Which ones do you use?
Just like free parking next to big shops it will have to exist in an area to reduce the risk of losing customers...
How long before there is free wifi everywhere?
chatrack
Hi,

Wifi is free in airport only.
deanhills
Sounds great. But would be wonderful if instead of traveling to work - there would be a hologram of sorts there of ourselves interacting with everyone via remote control where we are.
watersoul
chasbeen wrote:
How long before there is free wifi everywhere?

I can't see it being very long before it's quite common.
In my area, most of the hotels/cafes/bars offer free unencrypted wifi to their customers these days. Obviously, being wireless, access to the signal spills outside the boundary of the buildings, so in my street alone I can latch onto 3 different networks from inside my own house.

Personally I have my own broadband connection, but I do sometimes wonder why I bother paying for it when this 'free' service is all around me - honesty I guess, but I'll admit I have done it a few times when my service has gone down in the past Wink
Nameless
deanhills wrote:
Sounds great. But would be wonderful if instead of traveling to work - there would be a hologram of sorts there of ourselves interacting with everyone via remote control where we are.

Sounds nice. But would be awesome if instead of carrying food around the grocery store - there would be a maze of tubes of sorts there sucking up and flying food everywhere via craving detection chips where our tongues are.

Where did this post come from again? Laughing
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Sounds nice. But would be awesome if instead of carrying food around the grocery store - there would be a maze of tubes of sorts there sucking up and flying food everywhere via craving detection chips where our tongues are.

Where did this post come from again? Laughing
Awesome! You have to grab this moment Nameless. Your previous post was right on the mark too. Maybe this is the time for a next chapter of your book? I feel so inspired by music now, wish I were a musician of sorts.
cresvale
wifi should be free everywhere.
ocalhoun
Heh, depends what you mean by everywhere.

There are many places that don't even have cell phone service yet.

--And nothing is free. Somebody, somewhere is paying for it.
standready
I see free wifi being offered by shops as a way to draw in customers. That is great for doings web things that do not require security. However anyone can hack your computer easily there so not so great.
deanhills
standready wrote:
I see free wifi being offered by shops as a way to draw in customers. That is great for doings web things that do not require security. However anyone can hack your computer easily there so not so great.
There is plenty of wifi in all of the coffee shops in Dubai. Never thought of the possibility of being hacked, and that does make sense when one thinks about it. I don't use wifi, not even at home. I have a fixed ADSL line. When I'm out and about I love Internet cafes as they always have the oldest most interesting but also fast desktops you can imagine. All of the computers are assembled, but along very unique lines. I think they must be harvesting old computer parts such as keyboards (fixing keys - they're not all the same), as all of the equipment are unique and fun to experience. Very Happy
coolclay
Free Wifi is hard to find in America! Most airports you have to pay, all hotels are encrypted, most households are also now encrypted. I remember back in the good 'ole days when Wifi was still newer, whenever I went on a roadtrip or vacation I could drive down any residential neighborhood or the parking lot of any hotel and check my email, not anymore though. Somehow word got out that people should encrypt there Wifi, probably for the best though!

Occasionally a local coffee shop will still have open wireless but that is about it. All the Dunken donuts now encrypt, as well as Starbucks I think.

So needless to say it may be happening in other countries but certainly not in the US anytime soon! It was here but then it went away when people abused it (like me). Someone has to pay for it, and if the owner doesn't see a direct benefit, it's the first thing to go!
chasbeen
Coolclay thats interesting that things are going backwards in the States
Nameless and Deanhills Smile ha ha but I'm also (unusually) running a sensible dialog here
Nameless
Well, I've only seen or heard of a couple of places that do free wifi near where I live (not that I go out that much). Where I work is supposedly going to start providing it sometime soon as part of a brand overhaul but I'm not convinced it will get much use (who brings out a laptop to eat greasy fast food?) Even if some form of free wifi were available from almost every business there'd still be reasons to purchase your own contract though - convenience of use, security, much higher bandwidth allowance - and by the time it did start being provided everywhere you'd find that personal contracts will have cheapened as always.
soljarag
I would think Ad-Base "free" wifi would catch on... Something like a Netzero from way back years ago...

although it would cost money to set it all up...
standready
deanhills wrote:
[Never thought of the possibility of being hacked, and that does make sense when one thinks about it. I don't use wifi, not even at home.

I just got a laptop that has built-in wifi. I am amazed at the number of neighbors that have un-secured wifi setups. That is so dangerous considering all the information sitting there waiting for someone to just drive by and take.
Maybe I should secure those wifi which would lock-out their owners. That might wake those people up. Probably not! They would just hit the reset and be done.
deanhills
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:
[Never thought of the possibility of being hacked, and that does make sense when one thinks about it. I don't use wifi, not even at home.

I just got a laptop that has built-in wifi. I am amazed at the number of neighbors that have un-secured wifi setups. That is so dangerous considering all the information sitting there waiting for someone to just drive by and take.
Maybe I should secure those wifi which would lock-out their owners. That might wake those people up. Probably not! They would just hit the reset and be done.
Sounds like a great idea! Particularly the neighbour that annoyed you with parking cars on lawns.
Twisted Evil
faten
cresvale wrote:
wifi should be free everywhere.

I am with you Dancing
dennisk
Of course it should be free everywhere. But imagine the people who are offering wifi are also paying for the internet in there, so they want something back.

At least at the Mac Donald's it's free Very Happy
chasbeen
Oh I'm off to buy a burger and get free coffee..
I guess McDonalds Mcafe are going to get their market share back after all.
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
Oh I'm off to buy a burger and get free coffee..
I guess McDonalds Mcafe are going to get their market share back after all.
First I've heard of Mcafe. Just shows how long since I've been to a McDonalds, or is that new?
Very Happy
chasbeen
Yes is it McCafe ?
They are trying to remarked themselves
I got to say their coffee Is really nice here in Canada.
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
Yes is it McCafe ?
They are trying to remarked themselves
I got to say their coffee Is really nice here in Canada.
I've actually always liked the MacDonalds Coffee in Canada. Preferred it to StarBucks as I don't like the strong "burnt" acrid taste of its coffee. Over and above the ridiculous price for StarBucks coffees.