FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HP trying to screw me on my warranty

Tony The Tiger
My 2010 DV7 chewed up a long-running 2007 120 GB Western Digital hard drive two weeks ago while I was reformatting it. I did some diagnostics on the drive through the F10 button and it failed the quick test with what it noted as a 304 error. HP says that a 304 error has something to do with the controller on the motherboard. I asked them to take it in for repair. Then they said it meant I had a bad disk and there was nothing that they could do. Since HP was out of 160 GB Western Digital 2.5" SATA drives, I ordered one on eBay. When it arrived formatted RAW, I tried to format it NTFS and my computer chewed it up. When I did diagnostics on the drive afterwards, I got a 304 error. I called HP to take my computer in for repair and to replace the damaged hard drive they said that it was another bad drive. The eBay vendor has agreed to send me another drive. Next time, I am going to do the diagnostics on the drive before I try to format it. Then format it (which will likely chew it up) and then ask HP what they are going to do about it. If the third drive gets chewed up does HP owe me for my drives and have an obligation to fix my controller?
Hogwarts
I suggest trying the HDD you ordered in another machine, if you haven't already. And, for good measure, your original one too.
Tony The Tiger
Hogwarts wrote:
I suggest trying the HDD you ordered in another machine, if you haven't already. And, for good measure, your original one too.

It messed up my third drive in the bios system diagnostics. They have finally agreed to take the machine in for repair. Should I try to get them to replace the damaged hard disk drives when they repair the machine?
ocalhoun
Tony The Tiger wrote:
If the third drive gets chewed up does HP owe me for my drives and have an obligation to fix my controller?

Owe you for the drives? Almost certainly not. I'm sure their warranty says nothing about replacing equipment that is damaged through interaction with their product.

An obligation to fix your computer? Probably. Although, you may have voided the warranty by opening the case. Even if it isn't explicitly stated in their warranty that you can't open the case, they may see that you have done so, and then blame the damage on your lack of ESD precautions. Unless you can prove that the damage wasn't caused by that, they may be able to legally renounce any obligation to repair it. (Since the warranty probably does not cover negligence by the user.) -- Unless you got one of the fancy 'accidental damage' policies... in which case, they should fix or replace it even if it was your fault.

So, basically, if you get them to fix it at all, you're doing good. Trying to get HP to replace the hard drives you bought isn't going to happen, I can guarantee that. They may replace the original hard drive, but that's it.
However, there is hope.
I doubt that the hard drives were actually physically damaged. They will probably work fine if formatted by a different computer, or formatted by this one after being repaired.
Also, hard drives usually have pretty good warranties if you buy them new... sometimes even if you don't buy them new. If the hard drives still won't work after being formatted by a correctly working computer, contact Western Digital, give them the serial numbers, and see if they are still under warranty.
Tony The Tiger
ocalhoun wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
If the third drive gets chewed up does HP owe me for my drives and have an obligation to fix my controller?

Owe you for the drives? Almost certainly not. I'm sure their warranty says nothing about replacing equipment that is damaged through interaction with their product.

An obligation to fix your computer? Probably. Although, you may have voided the warranty by opening the case. Even if it isn't explicitly stated in their warranty that you can't open the case, they may see that you have done so, and then blame the damage on your lack of ESD precautions. Unless you can prove that the damage wasn't caused by that, they may be able to legally renounce any obligation to repair it. (Since the warranty probably does not cover negligence by the user.) -- Unless you got one of the fancy 'accidental damage' policies... in which case, they should fix or replace it even if it was your fault.

So, basically, if you get them to fix it at all, you're doing good. Trying to get HP to replace the hard drives you bought isn't going to happen, I can guarantee that. They may replace the original hard drive, but that's it.
However, there is hope.
I doubt that the hard drives were actually physically damaged. They will probably work fine if formatted by a different computer, or formatted by this one after being repaired.
Also, hard drives usually have pretty good warranties if you buy them new... sometimes even if you don't buy them new. If the hard drives still won't work after being formatted by a correctly working computer, contact Western Digital, give them the serial numbers, and see if they are still under warranty.

They fixed my computer and gave me one 160GB drive. I have not tested to see if the secondary bay will reformat drives.