FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hammy's Interesting Thread of Interesting!

Hammy
Yes! Hello Hello! Im back!

I was instructed to start an interesting thread, as nothing else is interesting me right now.
So here's a thread dedicated to all things interesting!
It's mostly going to be about me Razz haha... But i'd lik everyone to chip in with something interesting that has happened in their life lately...

I'll kick start it, hopefully you will find something in the post to reply to.

Firstly.. There's lots of people here i still recognise from the old days!! Please post below, Id love to hear from you again.

So whats been happening in the world of me since i left? Well Im 22 now :O Shock! .. Still feel 18 though. I drive all over the country, i have an Astra .. Vivaro Van.. and a Yamaha Raptor (road legal). Bit of an adrenaline jukie, I do enjoy sports that have a risk of death in them. I kite buggy alot lately, built my kite buggy. Sopose i should post pictures: (might be a bit big)

Im yet to own my own kite ='[ .. If anyone was wondering what they should buy me for christmas, a 4.4meter Peter Lynn Reactor 2 would be splendid.. Thanks.

What else...
Since i was last here, ive knocked myself unconcious.. I dont remember how it happened, i dont remember the entire day infact.
I've torn a ligament in my hand whilst rock climbing.. Turns out i cant hang off 1 finger.
I've laid in nettles..
I've set fire to my face...
Most bad things happen to me in my circle of friends.

Edinbrough Fringe Festival!!! Anyone from the UK?

LOLcats..

Epic Meal Time..

Mystery Guitar Man..

House, Big Bang Theory, Family Guy... Any1 else get these awesome tv shows? Your missing out!

Been to London a few times, hecktic place to drive.

Mountain Boarding... (Like skateboarding, but for men!!!) Do enjoy a bit of that!

This is a relatively short post for what has happened in the past few years, but oh well :p .. What has happened to YOU?! Post now! Don't click back! click REPLY!!!!!!!!

Also... Pictures else it didnt happen!

Love Ya'll x
Blaster
Blast from the past. I just came back around myself. You have an interesting list of hobbies. I don't mountain board but I do mountain bike. I like adrenline too... I just run into fires instead. Also used to ride quads all the time. My avatar is me on a 400EX and my username comes from the 2001 Honda Blaster I used to own... Oh you want a picture... fine
deanhills
Great to see you posting again Hammy! Looks as though you are living life to its fullest, including rock climbing hanging by your fingernails ....
Laughing
Hammy
Blaster wrote:
Blast from the past. I just came back around myself. You have an interesting list of hobbies. I don't mountain board but I do mountain bike. I like adrenline too... I just run into fires instead. Also used to ride quads all the time. My avatar is me on a 400EX and my username comes from the 2001 Honda Blaster I used to own... Oh you want a picture... fine

Haha! Blaster!! I thought of you as i clicked Post.
I thought i should of put a pic of my quad up :p
Here it is:

Few pictures of it not being on the road :p hah.
Its a Raptor 250 Special Edition 2009.
Insurance halfed this year, so saving up for a bigger one! Very Happy

I like to see pictures!! I want to see more!! Post some picture people! I'm dissapoint that the thread has less replys, than views! I told you not to click back! :'(

Hi deanhills <3

Post a Picture! .. Tell an interesting story!
It's simple! I bet we all have thousands of pictures on facebook ect!

As for today, i was driving along in the van on the country roads and there was some dude crying o nthe road side with his girlfriend, and i looked at him. And without realising i drifted off the road and was half rallying in the van as i wrestled to get it back on the road lol.. was fun xD oops.

x
Dementei
I played Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

What now?
Blaster
Ok you want more pictures... I can do that

Here is me 105 ft above the ground a couple of months back

And here is me at a 3 alarm Arson fire. The place was set because a car that was involved in a shooting was kept in there so they wanted evidence to be destroyed.

Being a school student takes up a lot of my time however. I'm in my sophomore year at Penn State

Bottom right

You mentioned rock climbing. I do a little bouldering myself. Tend to stay inside in the winter but do some outside stuff in the summer

Also enjoy myself a good cigar when I'm not busy

oh and if you are ever in need of getting rescued off a rock cliff call me up.

I also mentioned I like to mountain bike.

And I love my classic cars.

standready
Great to see you posting once again, Hammy! Welcome back! As for me, I am just trying to survive. I won't say more.
@Blaster: if this cat gets stuck in a tree, I know who to call! laugh
coolclay
Hey Hammy, welcome back bro!
A lot has changed for me as well in the past year!
I left my job/home of 4 years teaching marine science and snorkeling/scuba diving almost every day on Catalina island.
As anyone can imagine it's hard to leave this life

But it was time to move on get my self an graduate degree and start a real life.

Drove to Baha Cali for a week, hiked, climbed, kayaked, snorkeled and speared fish at Bahia de Los Angeles.

Hiked, an climbed all over Cali

Then drove to Louisiana.

Now I am an official graduate student pursuing my masters in Marine and Enviro Biol. I work as a teaching assistant so tuition is free and I get paid. Did I mention I get 70% of my food from the dumpster, 25% from my garden, my chickens or I kill it myself, the other 5% I actually buy. Occasionally I'll spin fire or play with alligators and sometimes I actually declare new land for America (we all know Louisiana isn't really part of the USA)

That very roughly sums up my year in photos.
Hammy
Wow Blaster!! That is some epic room your in there with that cigar!

Love the mountain bikeing and rock climbing, We have a similar place up here that looks like that for mountain biking, you'd love it. Complete with a 4X track.

standready wrote:
Great to see you posting once again, Hammy! Welcome back! As for me, I am just trying to survive. I won't say more.
@Blaster: if this cat gets stuck in a tree, I know who to call! laugh

Haha, Thank standready xx
Good to see your surviving! You here working on a site or anything?

coolclay wrote:
I left my job/home of 4 years teaching marine science and snorkeling/scuba diving almost every day on Catalina island.

Hi coolclay! Great picture man! You wont believe how many Marine Biologist friends i have haha, They have all just got back from sucba diving everyday in some hot country. Im well jelous.

I love scuba diving! Where do you go?
Sadly i dont hae any diving pictures, i dont have a waterproof camera =[ I love the weightless feeling being underwater.

New PICTURE!!!
Winter 2010! We built and extension on my mates house to increase property value!
adri
Hammy wrote:

Oh, so you're that guy:

coolclay
Quote:
New PICTURE!!!
Winter 2010! We built and extension on my mates house to increase property value!

Sweet, I can see the advertisement now! Home comes with brand new floor space, complete with unlimited air conditioning, environmentally friendly bathroom, unlimited customization possibilities, but it's only available for a limited time only (global warming dependent).

P.S. I go diving whereever I possibly can! Freezing cold muddy lakes in Maine, warm Florida Keys, cold southern Cali, and hopefully soon oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico!
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
and hopefully soon oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico!
Are you serious? How would you be doing that?
Confused Very Happy

PS: I knew some people in Vancouver, BC who were into the same profession as you're heading for. They were always on the move and traveling to remote places. So great choice! Very Happy
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:

You mentioned rock climbing. I do a little bouldering myself. Tend to stay inside in the winter but do some outside stuff in the summer

Are there any good caves where you live? Both caving and rock climbing are popular in this area, and a lot of rock climbers do caving in the winter, because underground, the temperature always stays the same, no matter what season it is... And if anything, it's even more challenging than rock climbing, but uses a lot of the same skills.

On the topic of the thread...
I would post pictures of when I was exploring some never-before seen areas of Wind Cave just a couple days ago... but I didn't bring my camera.
(Though some parts where I went had been explored before, but not mapped. We found newspaper scraps and used matchsticks from the 1890's in there.)
I'll try to remember to bring it on the next trip. (Nov 17)
Until then, here's a picture or two of somebody else doing the same thing:

Don't get lost! ^.^

It's one of the longest and most complicated caves in the world.
coolclay
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:03 am Post subject:
coolclay wrote:
and hopefully soon oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico!
Are you serious? How would you be doing that?

Well anyone can do it if you have a seaworthy boat that can drive 60 miles out into the Gulf (but that excludes me). I did however meet a diver who works with the oil companies and gets paid to go diving out around them. So I got his business card, and now just need to find the time to make it happen.

Awesome Ocalhoun! I didn't know you were a spelunker! Back home (in PA) we have a few decent caves of which 75% are gated off, and the others are extremely hard to find, not to mention on private property. But there exist a few smaller ones that are around that I've been in. A little hole in the rock compared to Wind cave though!
ocalhoun
coolclay wrote:
A little hole in the rock compared to Wind cave though!

Almost all caves are little holes in the rock compared to Wind... There are only 4 larger ones in the entire world.

Heh, even locally...
Jewel Cave: 151 miles
Wind Cave: 137 miles
...And the next biggest,
Reed's Cave: 5 miles

So, even locally, those big two completely dwarf everything else.

And for all the gated-off and hard-to-find ones... That's why you join a caving club. If anybody has access to those caves, they do.
coolclay
Great point, I would definitely look into it if i ever end up living back in Pennsylvania, or other place with similar cave filled karst topography!
Josso
Anyone from UK been down Swildon's Hole? It's not the biggest but it is probably the most varied in my opinion. You can take beginners down to the top bits but theres also some really insane parts if you go further down for those who want to be a bit more challenged.

deanhills
I admire people for the ability to do cave diving, but not up my street at all. The closest I got to it was in Oman, diving through a cave hole that I had a very confident expectation of knowing how I would get to the other side. Actually was quite spectacular to see the light in the water as we exited on the other side so can imagine cave diving having many rewards for those who are in to it.

What I do like however is great depths, but with enough visibility so that one could look up for a distance and see some spectacular sights as near Sharm El Sheikh in Ras Mohamed. And Drift Diving is also quite exciting. But confined spaces like cave and wreck diving are not really my thing. Admire those however who are able to do that.
Josso
deanhills wrote:
I admire people for the ability to do cave diving, but not up my street at all. The closest I got to it was in Oman, diving through a cave hole that I had a very confident expectation of knowing how I would get to the other side. Actually was quite spectacular to see the light in the water as we exited on the other side so can imagine cave diving having many rewards for those who are in to it.

What I do like however is great depths, but with enough visibility so that one could look up for a distance and see some spectacular sights as near Sharm El Sheikh in Ras Mohamed. And Drift Diving is also quite exciting. But confined spaces like cave and wreck diving are not really my thing. Admire those however who are able to do that.

Same although I wouldn't do it and also those guys are real nutters, I've been under lot of sumps - you can do a few metres without diving equipment though. I remember going through one once and coming up in basically a little hole of water surrounded by what looked like just nothing but rock I couldn't see the exit for the life of me it was one of the weird moments of my life where I just had to laugh it was like the cave equivilent of stepping into a cupboard and looking for another exit than the door you came through. I did see it eventually the main reason is that the water level was about 1 inch from the top fo the exit I effectively just came up in a little pocket of air. REAL nasty with the cold water going down the back of your neck that sump business I prefer doing all the ridiculously tight stuff with 90 degree angles and whatnot
coolclay
Wow, that sounds insane! Like I said before I've never done any serious caving, so I wasn't familiar with the term sump until now. When you plan on passing through sumps do you pack a wetsuit and a dry bag for your gear? I've done what we call swimthrough's here in the US. Essentially miniature cave sumps, but typically along rocky coastlines. One of my favorites is a sea cave we call the Toilet Bowl, because the force of the water rushing through the swimthrough makes the level rise up and down about half a meter like a toilet. But you can hold your breath dive down, and swim through to the other side of it hoping the current is going the right direction. If the current is going against you, you may have to hold your breath for 45 sec. or longer until it switches and pushes you through.

My scariest dive through I got caught in the middle by an intense surge going the opposite direction and had to hold onto the rocks to prevent being swept backwards then had to wait for the surge to go my way, which then rocketed me through and almost bashed my head on a rock. The difficulty factor is highly dependent on the strength and direction of surge, many days it's impossible to go through other days it's a cinch! The day previously discussed was on the border of impossible, and I gained a new respect for it after that!

Josso- I can't imagine coming up into a micro-pocket of air deep underground, it gives me the chills. I am not really claustrophobic, but my closest thing to a fear is forced suffocation underwater. I still have flashbacks to the movie Pearl Harbor when hundreds of men were trapped in ships as they slowly sunk, clawing to get through tiny holes in the hull of the ships.
Josso
coolclay wrote:
When you plan on passing through sumps do you pack a wetsuit and a dry bag for your gear?

Yeah we put our lunch, extra batteries etc in a couple of layers of plastic bags with seals on them in a small non-absobant material rucksack* (which if you are carrying you will need to take off for the tight squeezes and push in front of you). Wetsuits underneath boiler suits or just boiler suits if it's not super cold.

This kinda thing

coolclay wrote:
I've done what we call swimthrough's here in the US. Essentially miniature cave sumps, but typically along rocky coastlines. One of my favorites is a sea cave we call the Toilet Bowl, because the force of the water rushing through the swimthrough makes the level rise up and down about half a meter like a toilet. But you can hold your breath dive down, and swim through to the other side of it hoping the current is going the right direction. If the current is going against you, you may have to hold your breath for 45 sec. or longer until it switches and pushes you through.

My scariest dive through I got caught in the middle by an intense surge going the opposite direction and had to hold onto the rocks to prevent being swept backwards then had to wait for the surge to go my way, which then rocketed me through and almost bashed my head on a rock. The difficulty factor is highly dependent on the strength and direction of surge, many days it's impossible to go through other days it's a cinch! The day previously discussed was on the border of impossible, and I gained a new respect for it after that!

That sounds mental - presumably you use helmets? Or is it a more of a diving kind of setup... I've never been in any sea caves (current sounds scary as hell) most of the caves I've been in are in the Mendip Hills, it's sort of a selection of 30 odd caves most of which they believe link up. They've linked some of the caves by putting dyes in the stream and detecting them miles and miles away. The most exciting thing is two of the biggest ones down there are linked by the underground stream. Every few years or so someone discovers a new cave or digs out a part of an existing cave to find a whole new network - it's like a 10 hour trip or something to go down to some of these deep points and they manage to rig up huge bags and tools while they are down there! Often for just a half of a meter I've really got some admiration for all the dig crews and also the cave divers

coolclay wrote:
Josso- I can't imagine coming up into a micro-pocket of air deep underground, it gives me the chills. I am not really claustrophobic, but my closest thing to a fear is forced suffocation underwater. I still have flashbacks to the movie Pearl Harbor when hundreds of men were trapped in ships as they slowly sunk, clawing to get through tiny holes in the hull of the ships.

Yeah sumps scare the hell out of me every time - once I got through that particular micropocket I was talking about into the other side and we had to bail out ANOTHER sump at one point we thought *are we bailing this water into the sump we just went through?* But luckily some of the local dig crews had been down there and built a little mud pool for the water to ciphen off into.
ocalhoun
Josso wrote:
it's like a 10 hour trip or something to go down to some of these deep points

^.^ To get to the more remote places in Wind or Jewel, it takes several days.

Thankfully though, they're both mostly dry caves, so there's no swimming needed.

As for cave diving, the craziest thing I've seen is diving in the Florida aquifer...
Only seen it on TV, but they entered through a (deeply) underwater cave off the coast, swam underground for a while, then eventually found their way up and out through a natural spring well inland...

Still... I think I'll just stick to my dry caves... For some reason, I have no problem crawling through holes I can barely fit through inside a dry cave... but underwater that would make me really claustrophobic, I think.
Josso
ocalhoun wrote:
As for cave diving, the craziest thing I've seen is diving in the Florida aquifer...
Only seen it on TV, but they entered through a (deeply) underwater cave off the coast, swam underground for a while, then eventually found their way up and out through a natural spring well inland...

Surprised Surprised I've seen that, I saw something on TV where they walked above them with a reciever pointed at the ground in order to keep in contact with them
Blaster
I've never personally had a cat in a tree although I did have a 8 year old boy I had to get out of a tree.

I was smoking that cigar on a cruise ship thats why it looks so nice.

I have never caved up in Central Pa there is a cave I think. I usually find a nice little rock face thats about 10 ft tall but like 40 ft long and traverse it.
coolclay
A cave? There are hundreds in central PA area! Most are privately owned however, so it's hard to gain access. There are three that charge you to access them, and a few little known ones on public property.
Hammy
adri wrote:
Hammy wrote:

Oh, so you're that guy:

-Removed-

Lmao!! Thats awesome,
no Sad ... i was this guy:

Drunken firebreathing.. Not such a good idea.
My parafin soaked beard caught fire, and it was kinda hard to put out :p.

Been reading through all the Diving and Caving Posting... Interesting stuff! Definately sounds like something i'd be interested in. I think i may look futher into it.
Unfortunately, i didnt goto university, so i never got involved with the Caving / Climbing / Kayaking communities Sad.
All your stories sound awesome, Ill have to have a look into this Swildon's Hole.

When you are cave diving and your find pockets of air, Surely they are from previous divings, and it's just Carbon dioxide, not oxygen?
Can you breath in thse pockets of air? If they have been there thousands n thousands of years, then i wouldnt of thought you could breathe in them. That would be my biggest worry :p.

Found a sweet picture after a day of Mountain Boarding @ Hamsterly Forest:

Reminder for people who dont like to read though threads:
Post a picture, tell an interesting story Smile

In more recent news, Just completed a new website, Id like to hear your thoughts:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-130912.html
Josso
Hammy wrote:
When you are cave diving and your find pockets of air, Surely they are from previous divings, and it's just Carbon dioxide, not oxygen?
Can you breath in thse pockets of air? If they have been there thousands n thousands of years, then i wouldnt of thought you could breathe in them. That would be my biggest worry :p.

Well you see the water levels fluctuate, especially with caves that have a main stream that runs from overground to underground - so some sumps can be just dry one day, filled the next so the pockets aren't that full of co2 deep down though you do have to be careful about stuff like that. No dispute it is harder to breathe down there in general but on the upside if you find an underground spring the water is the most fresh water you will ever taste!
deanhills
Great photos Hammy. The mountain boarding pic is pretty awesome. Very Happy
ocalhoun
Hammy wrote:

Unfortunately, i didnt goto university, so i never got involved with the Caving / Climbing / Kayaking communities Sad.

You don't have to go to university for that. Look up the NSS (National Speleological Society), and look for a list of local 'grottoes' (What they call local chapters of the organization.)
Then, it's just a matter of figuring out which 'grotto' is the closest, and joining it. They usually meet once a month to talk about previous trips and plan new caving trips.
(Or, if you have any very large and developed caves nearby, you can talk directly to the owners/managers of them. That's what I do with Wind Cave (which is a national park). That's only a good strategy for a beginner if it is a very well-developed cave, with managers who would enjoy having help.)
Quote:

Even then, the air would have only been inhaled and exhaled once, so it should still be breathable... Though less sustaining than normal air.
Not sure about how being in contact with the water will affect the composition of it though... through aeration, gasses could move from the air to the water, and vice versa.
At any rate, they would be too small and too rare to count on as an air supply, no matter how breathable they were.

(Though in a larger pretext, air quality is something you should always be conscious of when deep underground. Sometimes air can stagnate, or be contaminated with high levels of toxic gas from mineral or volcanic sources. Generally though, air quality is only a problem in mines and recently made volcanic caves. Limestone caves usually don't have any air quality problems.
The caves in my area are all 'breathing caves'... Air often flows in and out of the cave in response to changes in atmospheric pressure, so the air in the cave is often refreshed, and air quality is not a big concern... Hence the name 'Wind Cave'... due to it's size and only having one entrance, the airflow through that entrance can become very rapid when the outside temperature changes quickly... enough to produce a brisk wind.)
Paully
These pictures are too interesting
coolclay
Wow, from zero to lead featured discussion in 7 days! Must actually be interesting!

BTW love the epic mountain boarding shot!
chasbeen
You see when you say "London" there's a London in Ontario but from various clues like "Lying in Nettles" I hear its all about UK land.

"UK land" is where i'm from but i'm living in Ontario, Canada at present.

You said "Doing anything interesting?"

Well not doing anything like parachuting or climbing Ben Nevis but i'm moving back to the UK.
Dumping the wife there in early January (Sittingbourne, Kent) and me coming back in April.

It's a bit like parachuting because there are aspects of it that are quite scary but I suppose scary in a different way.

UK IS THE BEST WAY!
Blaster
Last weekend I had to opportunity to go through with the new Firefighter 1 class. I got paid to basically keep the fires going and stand by as RIT. RIT stands for Rapid Intervention Teams. If someone goes down we go in and save them basically.

I'm in the Orange

Thanksgiving is coming up so hopefuly I will have some new stories to tell you from my break.

In other news if anyone follows college football I go to Penn State... I'm sure you can figure out the rest
Hammy
Blaster wrote:
Last weekend I had to opportunity to go through with the new Firefighter 1 class. I got paid to basically keep the fires going......

Are you sure your doing it correct? :p
Arn't you soposed to put fires out?

I wouldnt be very happy if my house was burning, and the firefighters came along along and started spraying petrol on it.
deanhills
Hammy wrote:
I wouldnt be very happy if my house was burning, and the firefighters came along along and started spraying petrol on it.
Laughing My thoughts exactly! We'll have to get firefighters to save firefighters too maybe ....
Blaster
Hammy wrote:
Blaster wrote:
Last weekend I had to opportunity to go through with the new Firefighter 1 class. I got paid to basically keep the fires going......

Are you sure your doing it correct? :p
Arn't you soposed to put fires out?

On order to teach people how to put fires you you have to start fires so they can put it out... A lot of people think you just put the wet stuff on the red stuff but there is more to it then that. First there is the heat you have to get used to. 2nd there is fire behavior. You know its going good when its rolling over the ceiling. Also you have to get it just right so that its nearly invisible. Many think when you go into the fire room you can see the fire clearly like in the movies when in fact all you really see is a glow. Smoke does hamper your visibility in the fire room itself too
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
On order to teach people how to put fires you you have to start fires so they can put it out... A lot of people think you just put the wet stuff on the red stuff but there is more to it then that. First there is the heat you have to get used to. 2nd there is fire behavior. You know its going good when its rolling over the ceiling. Also you have to get it just right so that its nearly invisible. Many think when you go into the fire room you can see the fire clearly like in the movies when in fact all you really see is a glow. Smoke does hamper your visibility in the fire room itself too
I can just imagine that in order to create a good fire like this may also be an education in what arsonists do? And to recognize arson when it is arson?
Blaster
Part of being a firefighting is recognizing arson. Its important not to mess up an arson crime scene so that you destroy evidence yet you still have to do your job.

As for lighting the fires its all about the combination of wooden pallets hay and wet hay. The pallet is the main fuel. The hay flares up nice and causes the fire to roll across the ceiling and also makes it hotter. The wet hay is used to really bank down the smoke. You set it up the right way you're golden.
deanhills
I'm sure there can't be many students like you with this kind of volunteering activity. Something you can definitely be proud off!
Blaster
deanhills wrote:
I'm sure there can't be many students like you with this kind of volunteering activity. Something you can definitely be proud off!

I hope it helps me out when I go to find a job in the future. I think its part of the reason that I got in the school that I did.
coolclay
This is how arson firefighters start! Just kidding though, I think it's awesome! But unfortunately arson firefighters do exist!http://www.state.sc.us/forest/lear.htm
ocalhoun
Did some more caving yesterday!

--Will make a new thread about it to post all the pics.

Went into Wind Cave again. Re-surveyed some very badly done survey from the 80's (Which was itself a re-survey of stuff done in the 1880's). As well as explored and mapped around 150 feet of new cave.
This was a unique area with lots of 'wet' formations unusual for Wind Cave. We also make a pretty cool discovery in that we found halactites -- a common formation elsewhere, but this was the first time they had ever been found in Wind Cave.
Here's what they look like:

(The small ones sticking out at a diagonal angle, that is. The long straight ones are soda straws, which can be found in many other places. There are only 7 known halactites in wind cave though; all of them found yesterday by us.)
standready
ocalhoun wrote:

Did you ride Jay to the cave?
missdixy
Paully wrote:

Yea guys, what's up?? You guys are making my life seem like waaaay too dull and lame in comparison to yours! Very Happy
ocalhoun
standready wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Did you ride Jay to the cave?

Most assuredly not!

By horseback, that would be a two day trip! -- at least! -- one way!
Vanilla
missdixy wrote:
Paully wrote:

Yea guys, what's up?? You guys are making my life seem like waaaay too dull and lame in comparison to yours! Very Happy

Haha that's exactly how I feel! My life is booooooring comparing to you guys. Okey, so I didn't set my face on fire, but two months ago I almost set a whole cow confinement on fire hahaha... I'm a vet and I was working with a really great group in this cow confinement. And as we spent the whole day there, sometimes we got bored. And so we did stupid things. Very Happy

That's me taking care of my favorite cow of the confinement. She was a really big Holstein cow and the group were on the other side of the squeeze chute (that structure for restraining cows). I was checking her breathing because she was anesthesiated.
missdixy
Vanilla wrote:
missdixy wrote:
Paully wrote:

Haha that's exactly how I feel! My life is booooooring comparing to you guys. Okey, so I didn't set my face on fire, but two months ago I almost set a whole cow confinement on fire hahaha... I'm a vet and I was working with a really great group in this cow confinement. And as we spent the whole day there, sometimes we got bored. And so we did stupid things. Very Happy

That's me taking care of my favorite cow of the confinement. She was a really big Holstein cow and the group were on the other side of the squeeze chute (that structure for restraining cows). I was checking her breathing because she was anesthesiated.

Okay, even that seems pretty awesome!!! All I really do lately is go to work (desk job), come home and do more work and spend some time with my dogs and walk them and make dinner and maybe read or watch some TV then go to bed!
Hammy
Lol Vanilla, Thats a mighty lazy cow you got there... wont even stand up by itself :p

I have no new news to report :p, I've played Minecraft alot lately, haha.

Great pic ocalhoun, Looks like a thrill Smile
ocalhoun
Hammy wrote:
Lol Vanilla, Thats a mighty lazy cow you got there... wont even stand up by itself :p

Anesthesia makes me lazy too.
coolclay
That's really insane Vanilla it must take quite a a well built structure to hold the entire weight of a anesthetized cow! I am glad you didn't actually catch it on fire because that may have sort of invalidated your work as a Vet!

P.S. my life isn't all that interesting at the moment either, I am building a batch reactor type treatment system for shrimp waste (poop). Might as well call me Dr.Poo!
Blaster
Back from a week off of school. So I have a few new pictures to show you.

My week started off by attending some rope classes through the fire company. It was just a refresher for me but was very useful.

After that on Tuesday I was back at it with ropes yet this time it was a bit more fun. I enjoyed my time rock climbing at a local gym

It takes a bit of help to get the route correct

Thursday was Thanksgiving. I don't have any pictures to show you but I will say it started with some High School football. My old high school lost for the first time in the last few years (we play the same team each year for Thanksgiving) I then enjoyed some turkey and all the fixins at my grandmothers house.

Friday I got to stand in line at the apple store for an hour to get my christmas present (iPad2). Now to just wait for christmas.

Saturday I went to this real nice smorgasbord with a few of my friends. I then came home and we went to a local holiday parade with the Firehouse. We had just gotten there when we heard that there was a building fire up the street.

That pretty much ended my weekend. Now I'm back at school sick... 2 and a half weeks till I'm done this semester.
deanhills
@Blaster. What are your plans for your iPad2. Are you going to use it for school, or is the iPad2 just for fun and social?
Very Happy
Blaster
I plan on using it for all. I got it for school and social. It will be nice to take to class for notes and it also has a lot of different apps that can be used for many different things which can help with a lot of different things.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
I plan on using it for all. I got it for school and social. It will be nice to take to class for notes and it also has a lot of different apps that can be used for many different things which can help with a lot of different things.
Today when I was listening to Final Year medical students' presentations, one had a Mac iPad with him. When I asked him, he said he was using it for everything as well and commented it was the best thing that had ever happened to him. Most of the students have MacPro Notebooks though. I think his was the only iPad I noticed. Probably still has to make some inroads yet.
Blaster
I have a MacBook Pro and use that as my normal computer. The iPad should go along nicely with it.
quickforum
Smile)) very good
Ankhanu
Blaster wrote:

Blaster wrote:
I have a MacBook Pro and use that as my normal computer. The iPad should go along nicely with it.

It really does Razz
I'm using a 2011 15" MacBook Pro, and picked up an iPad in September. I picked it up for specific purposes (Roleplaying and music), but I've been using it much more than I thought I would... it's pretty much become my primary web browsing and communications device. They're really comfortable to use and in positions that a laptop has simply never been good for (i.e. in bed, on the couch, etc).

An app I've found really nice for note taking is Daedelus; it's designed to work like stacks of paper, keeping related notes together and letting you quickly flip between files if you need to refer back to something.
Blaster
Ankhanu wrote:
Blaster wrote:

Blaster wrote:

It really does Razz
I'm using a 2011 15" MacBook Pro, and picked up an iPad in September. I picked it up for specific purposes (Roleplaying and music), but I've been using it much more than I thought I would... it's pretty much become my primary web browsing and communications device. They're really comfortable to use and in positions that a laptop has simply never been good for (i.e. in bed, on the couch, etc).

An app I've found really nice for note taking is Daedelus; it's designed to work like stacks of paper, keeping related notes together and letting you quickly flip between files if you need to refer back to something.

I will have to look into this. That is after I receive it on Christmas. I think it will be nice to be able to take to class and such. My macbook is too heavy to really take with me. Plus I would have to worry about taking the charger and such. Also when I go home on the weekends I bring my laptop but hardley ever use it too its fullest. Its usually just to jump on the internet. Therefore I won't have to worry about bringing my laptop home with me.
coolclay
That's great that you get to do some climbing, now that I am in southern Louisiana, we have 0 elevation and so I can't do any real climbing and surprisingly there isn't even a climbing gym in New Orleans! Luckily I have some little ledges on my house I can at least keep my fingers in shape with!
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
Luckily I have some little ledges on my house I can at least keep my fingers in shape with!
How long do you have to stay around there? Sounds very boring from an outdoor point of view? Just does not sound like you. I guess this is where you get to build character then? Very Happy
Blaster
Odd that there isn't even a rock gym. I feel bad for your coolclay I would hate not to be able to go and climb a little.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Sounds very boring from an outdoor point of view?

I've been in that area... it may be flat, but the swamps are kind of cool, and you can go to the coast to do fishing and crabbing... maybe some shrimping...
(Though, maybe not after the oil spill...)
Blaster
Exactly you just have to adapt to your environment. Me, well I'm lucky I can go 2 hours in either direction and be in the mountains or at the beach.
coolclay
Deanhills, you're right it doesn't sound like me, but it's got it's own brand of fun activities! Not that I have much time to do anything besides teach, study, and do my thesis work. But have been able to find a little hiking (albeit flat) and my housemate has a kayak that is fun in the bayous. The fishing and crabbing is spectacular, and my other housemate has a sweet boat rigged up for night time bowfishing so that's a great time. Grab some beer, and go zooming through the bayous and lakes in the middle of the night looking for fish to shoot! I can't complain, I get paid and get my masters degree, and I only have to teach, and assistant in 3 labs. I'll be here for 1.5-2 yrs, and then who knows where I'll end up!

Blaster: Apparently there used to be a rock gym but they closed down, I am hoping one opens up soon, before I loose all my hand strength!
Blaster
coolclay its ok I lost all of mine because of not doing it while in school. It took me almost a year to get back to a gym. Its quite a ride to get to them here about 40 minutes.

Also I have wanted to go bowfishing for a while now. Sounds like a lot of fun. I used to archary hunt but havn't in a few years.
deanhills
skseofleet wrote:
Really Americans you are just lucky that you born in Amercia. All the above stuff is awesome and very interesting. Thanks for sharing such an interesting post and pictures...
Agreed. We have some amazing adventuresome people posting in this thread. Frihost is good company! Very Happy
coolclay
Quote:
Really Americans you are just lucky that you born in Amercia. All the above stuff is awesome and very interesting. Thanks for sharing such an interesting post and pictures...

While I agree with your statement, take note however that several of the individuals that have posted are not Americans.
Everlight
I made a game, it's called Everlight but it's not fully setup yet to be public..

It has alot of work I need to do before It's publicly released.
coolclay
Did some winter caving this past week. Got to go to one of the most amazing caves I have ever been in and it was huge! We were in for around 4 hrs or so, and probably didn't even get to see half of it! It was a blast. My brother took his video camera in and put together a pretty sweet film video of our adventure. You can watch it on youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7rI0EisHs8 Usually when you go caving you bring a jacket because it is chilly, this time it was the other way around we had to take layers off because it was about 25 deg F outside and 60 inside!
ocalhoun
coolclay wrote:
Did some winter caving this past week. Got to go to one of the most amazing caves I have ever been in

It did have some pretty good formations.

Um... you do know though, that touching wet formations like that -- at all -- permanently alters their growth, right?
Quote:
and it was huge! We were in for around 4 hrs or so, and probably didn't even get to see half of it!

Huge is a relative term. ^.^
I've been in Wind and Jewel hundreds of hours... and seen less than 1% of those two.
Quote:
Usually when you go caving you bring a jacket because it is chilly, this time it was the other way around we had to take layers off because it was about 25 deg F outside and 60 inside!

Pretty used to that here.

I gotta say though... I would be pretty concerned.
Not a helmet in the bunch... and lemme tell ya, having a helmet has saved me from a couple nasty injuries.
And please tell me the people there were carrying backup lights... It's best to be wearing at least two, so you never have to fumble in the dark for a light... but if they didn't even have extra lights...
(I'll just assume you had someone outside who knew where you were going and when you were supposed to be out...)

Oh, and for the guy squeezing through that tight hole with both arms above his head... It's much easier to put one arm up, and one down, that way you only have to squeeze through one arm at a time and doing so makes your shoulders narrower.

And hopefully you didn't have to do much crawling without any pads...
Blaster
Very cool coolclay. Where was this at?

All I did over my break was fight fires save lives and work.

A day of training here. I ended up climbing the ladder at a 80 degree angle 105 ft straight up.

First working fire of that day at like 5 in the morning. That came out after getting done another bs fire call.

[img]http://www.firecompanies.com/MFC/public/news_images/10171/152655/344684_orig.pjpeg[/img]
This was the 2nd fire of the day.

[img]http://www.firecompanies.com/MFC/public/news_images/10171/152655/344682_orig.pjpeg[/img]
This is what it looked like when we showed up.

This was the first fire in 24 hours. This started as a chimney and extended into the walls.

This was the 2nd fire of that day. This was a bedroom fire.

This was the 3rd fire of the day. This went 3 alarms and also had a mayday called. The mayday ended up being nothing.

Also had a Trash truck roll over.

To end my time over break I ended with yet another fire. This time it was a kitchen fire.
deanhills
Great photos Blaster. Hard work! And all of it voluntary. Great stuff! Cool
coolclay
Yea, I know Ocalhoun, but thanks for your concern.

It's not an active cave (it's not growing anymore), everything is covered in mud inside not to mention graffiti and other forms of disrespect and destruction, so we weren't too worried about touching the formations.

I do regret not having helmets for everyone but my climbing helmet is in Louisiana, and the other guys that came with did not have helmets, luckily we had no close calls.

We did all carry backup lights and some triple backups, but I like the have them on and ready idea.

There is no natural opening to the surface, it was discovered after they quarried and blasted back in the 1950s creating the cliff you see. It's a an old inactive limestone quarry.

Thanks for the tips for passing through small passages it would have definitely been useful!

Definitely not huge compared to your caves down there! But compared to my past tiny tectonic caving and mine experiences it was substantial!

Blaster this was near State College, I think your break was substantially more rewarding than mine! Those are some crazy pictures! What are earth would cause a garbage truck to tip over like that!
Blaster
coolclay wrote:
Yea, I know Ocalhoun, but thanks for your concern.

It's not an active cave (it's not growing anymore), everything is covered in mud inside not to mention graffiti and other forms of disrespect and destruction, so we weren't too worried about touching the formations.

I do regret not having helmets for everyone but my climbing helmet is in Louisiana, and the other guys that came with did not have helmets, luckily we had no close calls.

We did all carry backup lights and some triple backups, but I like the have them on and ready idea.

There is no natural opening to the surface, it was discovered after they quarried and blasted back in the 1950s creating the cliff you see. It's a an old inactive limestone quarry.

Thanks for the tips for passing through small passages it would have definitely been useful!

Definitely not huge compared to your caves down there! But compared to my past tiny tectonic caving and mine experiences it was substantial!

Blaster this was near State College, I think your break was substantially more rewarding than mine! Those are some crazy pictures! What are earth would cause a garbage truck to tip over like that!

Where near state college? I'm currently sitting in state college myself...
coolclay
It's just outside of Pleasant Gap, but don't go unless you have someone that's been there before. It's extremely tricky to not only find, but also know the passageways. There are maps but they don't help much. I'll give you a head's up if I go again when I am in PA next.
Blaster
coolclay wrote:
It's just outside of Pleasant Gap, but don't go unless you have someone that's been there before. It's extremely tricky to not only find, but also know the passageways. There are maps but they don't help much. I'll give you a head's up if I go again when I am in PA next.

Cool not too far from me then. I wouldn't go anyway... Don't have any friends who are into caving.
alalex
When I joined I think my first question was "how to send an email via php" haha, I know have a small software development company with a friend from college, and I'm working on innovative social networks... Smile

This summer I rented my first bike, a 125cc one, and hopefully I'll buy one one of these years. I don't see many people here from the time I was more active in the forum, but it's been several years now so I might not remember...
ocalhoun
alalex wrote:
I don't see many people here from the time I was more active in the forum, but it's been several years now so I might not remember...

I was around then.

Quote:
-1146.19 Points

Very impressive! ^.^
You should put in a request to have that reset to 0... unless you just like the challenge.
Andrewee
coolclay wrote:
As anyone can imagine it's hard to leave this life

But it was time to move on get my self an graduate degree and start a real life.

Drove to Baha Cali for a week, hiked, climbed, kayaked, snorkeled and speared fish at Bahia de Los Angeles.

Hiked, an climbed all over Cali

Then drove to Louisiana.

Now I am an official graduate student pursuing my masters in Marine and Enviro Biol. I work as a teaching assistant so tuition is free and I get paid. Did I mention I get 70% of my food from the dumpster, 25% from my garden, my chickens or I kill it myself, the other 5% I actually buy. Occasionally I'll spin fire or play with alligators and sometimes I actually declare new land for America (we all know Louisiana isn't really part of the USA)

That very roughly sums up my year in photos.

It is a great collection and i love star fish and i love crocodile but not like this i thing it is died or tranquilize.
coolclay
Andrewee, you are correct! A friend of a friend of a friend, goes gator hunting and shot it.

Alalex, I am looking to get a motorbike soon too, I've never ridden one before but it can't be that difficult, I still need to get my license though too. P.S. There are a few old farts still around here from the first year of Frihost, but not many!
Blaster
I too was around before you joined. There is still some of us old farts hanging around.
coolclay
Yea, it's hard for me to believe the crap people put online these days. It's like they are asking to get caught! I am 100% for employers doing online research into possible employees before hiring. If your going to make something public than you deserve the consequences!

Apparently Tilly's is not a company with a good hiring department!
Blaster
Funny how this started about fun things and you go on ranting... Can we get back on topic now?
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:
Can we get back on topic now?

Nope. I've got something to say about:
coolclay wrote:
I am 100% for employers doing online research into possible employees before hiring. If your going to make something public than you deserve the consequences!
!

If you make things PUBLIC, I have no problems with this.

The ones that demand a password so they can look at the things you try to keep private among just you and your friends though...
That is awfully invasive.
coolclay
Agreed, but it's still the internet, and the internet in its true essence is public.
mardin
did you know that global warming has an official name. and guess what, it is not global warming. today in physics class i learned about the real name of global warming. it is really global climate change and thermal expansion will cause the oceans to rise. i think thats kinda cool. what do you guys think?
Ankhanu
mardin wrote:
did you know that global warming has an official name. and guess what, it is not global warming. today in physics class i learned about the real name of global warming. it is really global climate change and thermal expansion will cause the oceans to rise. i think thats kinda cool. what do you guys think?

Yeah, climate change has been the way it's generally referred to in most circles for quite some time. It eliminates the pesky nuances of "warming" that aren't universally applicable, making it more correct.

Thermal expansion is part of the explanation for rising sea level; the other part of the equation is simply having more liquid water in the oceans. As sheet ice and glaciers melt, their captured water collects in the oceans, raising sea levels. Add in thermal expansion and you compound the issue.
ocalhoun
Ankhanu wrote:
Add in thermal expansion and you compound the issue.

Wouldn't the land also expand?
Blaster
ocalhoun wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

Negative... Think about it...
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

Negative... Think about it...

Thinking... Thinking... yep, land should also be subject to thermal expansion if you increase the temperature.
Blaster
Yea... i thought about it too and that sounds right...
coolclay
Wow, I knew it was off topic before, but climate change really?

Regardless thermal expansion of liquids is greater than solids.

Picture what happens when you heat a can of liquid(non-carbonated), it bulges even though the can expands too.
ocalhoun
coolclay wrote:

Regardless thermal expansion of liquids is greater than solids.

That is true.
Quote:

Picture what happens when you heat a can of liquid(non-carbonated), it bulges even though the can expands too.

But I'm not sure that proves it.

I suspect the can would bulge even if the expansion of the contents was very small.
coolclay
I concur, it definitely proves nothing, it's just an illustration of the principle. P.S. Love your new sig banner!
cr8agame
It seems like you do alot of coll things. I espicially like the pics of the cool stuff u do. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Vanilla
So... How are you guys doing? I was visiting my family in the middle of nowhere. Very Happy

My grandfather breeds cattle. This place is a dam inside his farm. It was used to generate electricity for the whole farm, but now it is only a water reservatory for the cattle

I loved this picture so much! Too bad I can't identify the bird.

The colours are... They're so bright. This is my favorite place on earth. Very Happy
deanhills
Those are great photos Vanilla. Did you take those? My favourites are the one with the bird in the tree and the last one - the contrasting rich colour of the earth is super.

Difficult to make out the bird, except for its long and sharp beak, which resembles the European bee eater (it actually eats flies more than bees). I looked it up and the South American corresponding bird for the bee eater is the Rufous-tailed Jacamar. Does the bird below look like the one you saw in the tree?

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufous-tailed_Jacamar
Vanilla
deanhills wrote:
Those are great photos Vanilla. Did you take those? My favourites are the one with the bird in the tree and the last one - the contrasting rich colour of the earth is super.

Difficult to make out the bird, except for its long and sharp beak, which resembles the European bee eater (it actually eats flies more than bees). I looked it up and the South American corresponding bird for the bee eater is the Rufous-tailed Jacamar. Does the bird below look like the one you saw in the tree?

Thank you, dean! Yes, I took them myself. My camera is super simple but the light helped a lot. Gotta love the golden hours. Very Happy

As for the bird, I found him! Which is ridiculous, if you think about it. My state is known for the huge amount of birds that live here. I was thinking that it looked a lot like a fisher bird (it was around the dam, so it kind of makes sense...) and I was right! The english name for it is Amazon Kingfisher and it was a female, hence the black chest. Haha, I'm so happy because I found it! Very Happy

I also took a lot of parrot pictures, but they didnt turn out very well. It was dark already. Sad
Stupid_American
Damn... I don't have pictures. I am terrible about taking pictures. Though I am one of the people from "back in the day". Deanhills might remember me, I used to go by Ophois, but yet again, I lost my password. Every time I'm away from a PC for more than a month, I forget how to use one. Had to contact Gmail to get my password and all that...

Let's see, what have I done in the last year-ish since I've been MIA?

Oh, I better mention it or else I might be killed.
I'm getting married.

We will be getting married in Charleston, South Carolina in October of this year.
Wait... I have pictures, just remembered them on my phone... nothing exciting though.
The only times I ever remember to take pictures is when I'm relaxed, rather than adventuring. So pardon me if my photos don't 'cut the mustard', as far as adrenaline goes...

Most of these are from a lovely(if not a little grey) weekend in Sebastian, Florida.

Overcast all weekend, but never lost it's charm.

My stark white feet in the sand. This was at Captain Hyrams(A bar/restaurant on the beach). I was sitting about 6 feet from the bar. Feet in the water, and could still order a beer and a burger. And there was live music from a blues band. Can't remember their name...

Not the best picture, but I actually kind of like the silhouette effect. Captain Hyrams again. Oh, and that foot picture up there? This one was taken just by looking in the other direction. I gotta tell ya, if you ever get the chance, come to this place, I'll buy you a pint...

My boats in there somewhere...
Stupid_American
I forgot...

I've actually been doing alot of sketching lately... nothing serious, but thought I'd share, since I'm thinking about it...
No, I don't sign anything, because I hate the way my signature looks...
I apologize for the blurry quality of the pictures. I took them with a crap phone I was issued, and the originals are still in another country. When they get back to me, I will maybe scan them and clean them up. The blue lines are because they were drawn on lined notebook paper while I was working. It was all I could do to take my mind off of the insanity going on around me.

I call it "Tolkien Summer Woods". It just Kind of reminded me of a fantasy novel cover.

This is "NightBear". He will kill your face.

A girl I worked with said it reminded her of the "Winnie the Pooh" 'Hundred acre Wood'. Until I drew that godawful city skyline in the background...

This is my "Lovers Tree". That damned woman made me a romantic... curse you all...

"Professor Jones" is all I can think of on this one. God I love Indy.

Anyway, I know they aren't Rembrandt, but I love doodling. So yeah, that's been my past year-ish. Minus the gory details which I don't care to share.
deanhills
Vanilla wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Thank you, dean! Yes, I took them myself. My camera is super simple but the light helped a lot. Gotta love the golden hours. Very Happy

As for the bird, I found him! Which is ridiculous, if you think about it. My state is known for the huge amount of birds that live here. I was thinking that it looked a lot like a fisher bird (it was around the dam, so it kind of makes sense...) and I was right! The english name for it is Amazon Kingfisher and it was a female, hence the black chest. Haha, I'm so happy because I found it! Very Happy

I also took a lot of parrot pictures, but they didnt turn out very well. It was dark already. Sad
Aha .... Amazon Kingfisher. Now I've learned something too, thanks! Great photos Vanilla! Smile
mardin
my friend is a complete loser. he spelled beer today bear while making fun of someone else on facebook i think it is a disgrace that someone would do such a thing. i mean this is america for christ's sake. people are educated here and are given the opportunity to go to school and they are spelling beer as bear?!?!?!?! i mean that is so pathetic!!!! even my little cousin who is 3 years old is capable of spelling beer. believe it or no i actually asked her to spell it for me and she did it. i swear america is changing for worse since we cannot even spelling things correctly. one thing i hate is when people say your instead of you're i mean come on theres a huge difference between the two and if you look over a statement or sentence you can tell it is incorrect.
truespeed
mardin wrote:
i swear america is changing for worse since we cannot even spelling things correctly

Your grammar isn't the best to be honest.
coolclay
Quote:

Your grammar isn't the best to be honest.

BURN!

Just kidding, we all make mistakes just some make more than others, and some just don't care. For me, I am pretty anal when it comes to writing, but that's because I have to be as a scientist! I try not to harass other people about it because most just don't care for better or for worse.

Anyway Stupid-American/Ophius
Good to see you back man, congrats are tying the proverbial knot! Looks like a sweet place in FL, but if I know that area, fairly expensive? Your sketches are amazing, I would give up a foot for skills like that!

Vanilla: Awesome shots, I live seeing photos from around the world, because I don't have much $ to travel around the world. Most of my traveling is North America centric!
deanhills
@coolclay. Could be that there was a certain amount of irony attached to what mardin had to say:
mardin wrote:
i swear america is changing for worse since we cannot even spelling things correctly

To be truthful though. What hit me squarely in the eye was the lack of punctuation and capitalization. I'm seeing it everywhere in Forums these days. Wonder whether this has to do with posting from a cell phone?
standready
Stupid_American wrote:
I used to go by Ophois

Welcome back Stupid_American/Ophois! Congratulations on tying the 'knot' - dam women! laugh
Great sketches!
deanhills
Stupid_American wrote:
Damn... I don't have pictures. I am terrible about taking pictures. Though I am one of the people from "back in the day". Deanhills might remember me, I used to go by Ophois, but yet again, I lost my password.
I DEFINITELY remember you. You sounded quite preoccupied during your last posts as Ophois and I had wondered what had happened to you. Looks as though your fortune has turned around however. A wedding in Charleston indeed. Is JMI going to be there? Smile
coolclay
Quote:
@coolclay. Could be that there was a certain amount of irony attached to what mardin had to say:
mardin wrote:

To be truthful though. What hit me squarely in the eye was the lack of punctuation and capitalization. I'm seeing it everywhere in Forums these days. Wonder whether this has to do with posting from a cell phone?

Agreed 100%. I think it's just a matter of texting in general, not reading books, and just plain laziness. You should see some of the lab reports our freshman students write in college, absolutely horrendous!
mardin
So i have to write an essay about the story a rose for emily. has anyone else read it? i would think that if you have, you might find this analysis interesting. "One of us lifted something from it, and leaning forward, that faint and invisible dust dry and acrid in the nostrils, we saw a long strand of non-gray hair.” (444). Emily’s hair, at this point in her life, is gray. The reason why there is a hair that is not gray on her pillow is because she has been having sex with the dead corpse of Homer. Emily is trying to tell the men from the South that even a dead corpse has more class than they do. Faulkner tells the reader that the South has died because the Southern men can be compared to trash. " i love faulkner's stuff he's the man. honestly, i look forward to reading more of his stuff in college. anyone else agree?
Stupid_American
deanhills wrote:
Stupid_American wrote:
Damn... I don't have pictures. I am terrible about taking pictures. Though I am one of the people from "back in the day". Deanhills might remember me, I used to go by Ophois, but yet again, I lost my password.
I DEFINITELY remember you. You sounded quite preoccupied during your last posts as Ophois and I had wondered what had happened to you. Looks as though your fortune has turned around however. A wedding in Charleston indeed. Is JMI going to be there? Smile

Uh... you may have to remind me who JMI is.
Yeah, sorry about those last few posts as Ophois. Man, I was so depressed. They say the burnout rate for this job is like 5-7 years, and I'm in year 12-ish. But I've been thinking of trying to open my own pub. That will be another thread in itself.
deanhills
Stupid_American wrote:
But I've been thinking of trying to open my own pub. That will be another thread in itself.
Can't wait to see that thread. And great for you to take time for making your usual quality posts! When you are burning yourself out in North America. have you thought about changing countries yet .... Twisted Evil

jmi posts in the Politics forum.
standready
Stupid_American wrote:
But I've been thinking of trying to open my own pub. That will be another thread in itself.

If I lived closer, I could be your pub's 'Norm'! laugh
mardin
i learned this stuff in my poly sci class today it is about how the different languages such as spanish and french and such came about. here are my notes. "spain wanted the jews and the muslims out jews easy to pick on because they are so different from everyone else. when rome fell everything became shit and collapsed nothing survived when the roman empire fell you cannot find any info that says the church took over european society there was some law and order but more bad stuff the church said no we run everything we determine what is right and wrong because of a lack of direction after the fall of rome they stepped in and destroyed it average person in europe was illiterate and so was the priest other langauges like spanish and such came from that the destruction of the latin language" to me this is really interesting what do you guys think?