FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A beautiful War Memorial

wellerchap
On saturday I visited Bridlington, a small town on the North Yorkshire coast in northern England - while there we called to see a memorial to the bomber crews of the combined air forces who flew out of the Lissett Aerodrome in World War 2....only a very small village, but 850 men failed to return to the base after missions fighting the Germans (44% of all airmen who flew out of the base).
The memorial itself is laser cut from thick plate steel, is lifesize and depicts the crewmen of one of the bombers....across both sides of which are engraved the names of all 850 brave (mainly very young) men who made the ultimate sacrifice.
I photographed it while there....hope you like the shot.

linux1993
I think every war does harm to ordinary people. Like we Chinese, during world war II, a lot of people had died .But war improves the development of our society.
cnitolo
Pretty much the memorial, a beautiful way to preserve the memory of those who fought and think about the future. I care a lot for the second world war.
pauline123
It is a nice looking war memorial. Every war should be memorialized in some form or fashion so that we can not forget where we have been, as nations and as a race. We need to know where we have been lest we are doomed to repeat our previous greivances and that would not do anyone any good. Look forward, dream of the future, but do not let yourself forget the past. For without the memoirs of the past we are doomed to eternally repeat the mistakes that brought the unfortunate events upon us. I do not know about everyone else in the world, but as a resident on this planet, I would prefer not to repeat the mistakes of our forefathers on a larger scale. For if we were to repeat their mistakes of course we would have to do it bigger and better than they did. I would like to never fear or hear of another global war, we have had enough.
D'Artagnan
Quote:
I think every war does harm to ordinary people. Like we Chinese, during world war II, a lot of people had died .But war improves the development of our society.

i'd rather be a neanderthal then... i find this Orwellian fiction idea of war as necessity completelly braindead, discomfort bring change which then bring development we don't need to kill ourselves to become better...
Mr_Howl
Wow, that's a really cool-looking memorial. Nice photograph of it too.
deanhills
Don't know how I missed this thread. Must have been away at the time. Great shot that Wellerchap! Cool