FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My best forum design EVER! (Brony Forum)

ocalhoun
So, a few days ago I got excited about the idea of making a My Little Pony - themed forum.
Got me a top-level domain... and picked up an extra one: the .info version was only $.49!
I had to go with the .org though... .com is taken, even though nobody is using it, not even to park the domain.

It took days of non-stop work... but I'm really impressed with the way it turned out!

I took a theme that at first appearance was utterly unsuitable... but I saw the potential it had, and it really surpassed my expectations.
The original theme: http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/UniversalSpace
After a few modest changes: http://www.BronyVille.org

So, first of all, whaddya think of my design changes?

And... if you happen to be interested in such a forum, I could really use some help getting some initial posts and promoting it!
truespeed
Well done on getting it all up and running so soon,i think with time and patience it could be a successful venture,i noticed googlebot was already on there earlier indexing.

As for the design,i am not a fan of transparent imaged backgrounds,i find them off putting and distracting,its just a personal dislike though,i like the fact you have customised the unread post icons ect,also the user group icons.

Overall i think its fair to say the forum has been ponyfied. Smile
sketteksalfa
The forum site is girly. To be honest, i think it would be much better if you use actual animal photos.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
As for the design,i am not a fan of transparent imaged backgrounds,i find them off putting and distracting,its just a personal dislike though,i like the fact you have customised the unread post icons ect,also the user group icons.
Agreed. It took me a while to get used to it too. Particularly since the background is so busy. Probably going to need some work to simplify it a little.
ocalhoun
sketteksalfa wrote:
The forum site is girly. To be honest, i think it would be much better if you use actual animal photos.

I think you kinda missed the point of the site...
It's not about real animals.
Dementei
I lol'd.
truespeed
Code:
site:bronyville.org

317 pages indexed on google so far with 1 indexed image,not bad for a week old forum..
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:
Code:
site:bronyville.org

317 pages indexed on google so far with 1 indexed image,not bad for a week old forum..

Might have something to do with signing up for an adwords account.
(I had a free credit on it, so why not?)
I would be surprised if Google didn't give preferential search treatment to sites subscribing to its ad services.

Also,
Quote:

ocalhouns forum - 6 Posts --> 100 coins! Click here for more details

^.^ Other people have to pay frih$ or coins to get their site in people's sigs...
But you're the second person I've seen advertising my site in your sig... for free... without even being asked to!

Not that I'm complaining... but wow! Makes me feel special, that's for sure! ^.^
Ghost Rider103
Good work on releasing the website. I see far too many people get website ideas and never follow through with them. You actually took action to your idea and did it quick. For that I congratulate you!

How has the forum been doing so far? If you need more members, I'd say give Adwords a try. Keywords for your site will probably be so cheap to advertise under!

Though I have no interest in bronies, I do hope you succeed in creating a community there. I may even pop in the forums. To talk about strictly anything but ponies!

However I ask that I am able to select my own background image to just a simple color. Very Happy
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Good work on releasing the website. I see far too many people get website ideas and never follow through with them. You actually took action to your idea and did it quick. For that I congratulate you!

Part of my philosophy in life.
Namely: 'Have follow-through'. People would be a lot more awesome -- in general -- if they actually followed through with their ideas and what they said they would do.
Quote:

How has the forum been doing so far?

Better than I had any right to expect so early. Around 25-30 posts a day!
Still, I don't think I've managed to attract more than 1 or 2 non-frihost members... and that's the main thing I need to do in order to get real success.
Quote:
If you need more members, I'd say give Adwords a try. Keywords for your site will probably be so cheap to advertise under!

Already using it, actually. My paid web host came with a free $75 credit for adwords, which I'm now using...
Their algorithm predicted I'd get 1-6 clicks a day, costing around $5 a day... which reminds me, I should log in and see how it is actually performing.
Quote:

Though I have no interest in bronies, I do hope you succeed in creating a community there. I may even pop in the forums. To talk about strictly anything but ponies!

Be careful, you might get addicted. ^.^
Quote:

However I ask that I am able to select my own background image to just a simple color. Very Happy

Hmm... is that to make it easier to see, or is that so you wouldn't have to look at ponies?
If for the first reason, you should see the new theme I added, which makes it much easier to see.
If for the second... well, I'll think about making a non-pony theme... but I'm not sure if I will or not.
Ghost Rider103
Quote:
Be careful, you might get addicted. ^.^

I wouldn't go any further than into the general chat/suggestions forum.

Quote:
Hmm... is that to make it easier to see, or is that so you wouldn't have to look at ponies?

I only requested this so I wouldn't have to look at the... ponies.

Adwords is usually pretty good on estimating your clicks. I've had some pretty good luck with it.

Make sure you install Google Analytics too. That is also a very useful tool to monitor and track your page views and where they are coming from.
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I only requested this so I wouldn't have to look at the... ponies.

^.^ Pretty hilarious.

Hmm... have you ever seen the show before?
If you stop avoiding it for a little while, you might find that you like it...

Then again... maybe that's what you're afraid of.
MartinH
It looks pretty good to me, but an advice is to make the forum icons not that pixly or change them to something else. I can't really se what it is, but otherwise Great work!