FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A not so funny observation

standready
I am always getting asked to solve people's computer problems. I have no formal training with computers other than one class in a 'basic' programming language. When I can't fix their problem, their response to me is "well, you have a computer!" That I find funny since they have a computer yet expect me to fix it.

Thanks for reading. I just had to share my rant! Anybody else care to chime in?
Nameless
Whoever it is that's acting indignant when you fail to solve their problem, follow them around or pay them a visit next time you hear they're sick and loudly proclaim that "Well, you have a body! Why can't you fix it?" Razz
menino
My friends only call me when they want their computers fixed, and this has been going on since a loooong time now.
I still do it, albeit all the resentment, but a few years ago, I did this strategy - I tell my friends that I need to take it home and it will take a week to fix, and if you can fix it elsewhere, please do.
I take the machine home, and I fix it slowly, but within a day, and then use the machine to play games or use it for my own purposes. Laughing
By now, I dont get as many calls as before.

It is frustrating to be used only because your the "go to" guy, and they don't even really appreciate you most times.
Also the main reason their computers keep getting messed up is because of the illegal sites they go to, and don't update / renew the free antiviruses, and click 'yes' for any popups.
standready
menino wrote:
My friends only call me when they want their computers fixed, and this has been going on since a loooong time now.
I still do it, albeit all the resentment, but a few years ago, I did this strategy - I tell my friends that I need to take it home and it will take a week to fix, and if you can fix it elsewhere, please do.
I take the machine home, and I fix it slowly, but within a day, and then use the machine to play games or use it for my own purposes. Laughing
By now, I dont get as many calls as before.

It is frustrating to be used only because your the "go to" guy, and they don't even really appreciate you most times.
Also the main reason their computers keep getting messed up is because of the illegal sites they go to, and don't update / renew the free antiviruses, and click 'yes' for any popups.

I also have many so-called 'friends' that I never hear from unless they need help (computer or otherwise). I do like your solution of taking their computer although I would have an extremely difficult time fixing the darn thing and keep for several weeks in pieces just in case they came to get it. ha!
weableandbob
This reminds me of a list on Cracked (http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-guy-whos-fixing-your-computer-hates-you/). I've run into situations like this, and I have to say, it's really annoying. Often times, it's the same problem over and over again, and yet they can't fix it when I show them how to ><
sonam
I have this problem before but from last year I am helping for free only via phone and maximum ten minutes. Otherwise I am charge one working hour via phone or I am visit person who call me and see how much time I need to solve problem. Cool

Sonam
User_X
Lol standready. I can relate. I love the take-it-home & fix it slowly

As menino & standready said I too have some of these so called "freinds" when PC work is needed. (As sonam has done) I have stopped almost all those calls as I have started charging a nominal fee of $20. I do renege on that at times if they have followed All the common sense advice I give them & have NOT UN-installed any security programs I have set up for them. See menino's last paragraph.
This one man who got a PC 3 yrs ago & is 68 had so many mainly simple problems I installed http://www.teamviewer.com so I can pop in & out quickly. This is my 1st time using remote assistance to help others & I love it

Edit:
I just now read the http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-guy-whos-fixing-your-computer-hates-you
and a line in it is
"Wait, where's Spybot? The program I told you to leave on there?"

"I uninstalled that. It was messing up my computer. It wouldn't let me play any of my games."

Man, THAT pisses me off!