FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is college education necessary

amitseo
Hi all,
Please tell me is college education is necessary now a days.What is the importance of the college education?
menino
I think college education is necessary, but mainly if you have an interest in doing something, and major in it for that purpose.
If you have an interest in finance, opt for a business major, else if you have an interest in computers or electrical stuff, then computer engineering / science, or electrical engineering.

If you like poetry, you can opt for Literature.

If you like music... go to a music school / college.

For drawing / creativity, there are arts colleges as well.

But dont go to college, just because your parents force you to, or that everyone else is doing it.
Take some time to figure out what your itnerests are and work towards that.
If you can't afford college, then its better to work somewhere in you line of interest untill you can afford college, and during the working time, you can study what courses are outlined to prepare for it.

College is important in many levels, but mainly a lot of institutions do not offer jobs to anyone without the basic college degree.
Blaster
Most places want a college degree anymore. Even the Fire department of New York asks that you have a college education. Same with many police forces. So I would say YES it is very important that you have a college education these days.
deanhills
Although I do have college education I don't agree that it is really that necessary, unless it is a profession you are studying for like medicine, law, engineering, IT etc. Quite a number of millionnaires are either college drop outs (they just did not have the patience for it) or had very little schooling. BUT (and this is VERY important) they had a plan, a desire to really make it big, and a picture of exactly where they wanted to be by X age.

If you don't have a mission like that, and are thinking in terms of earning a living by having a job, then a college education would be very important. And just as important plenty of experience.
iiinvest
Deanhills I feel your right on the mark. A highly skilled job would need a degree or even advanced degree. So, if your interested in going for health care, IT, engineering, etc,.. then you will need a degree. Due to many jobs now requiring a degree just to keep up with other employers then it would be best to get a degree as cheap as possible in something your sure you are interested in. I got a pretty expensive degree in something I semi-liked but will never use (music degree). I could of got my degree for way less at a different school and would be in the pretty much same situation.

If you are passionate in anything and have a plan, yes work on that as much as you can. If it doesn't need a degree such as art, music, a business and you are laser focused you'll be doing way better than the great deal of graduates. I'm working on transitioning from a shit job to what I want by saving and investing.

Just as long as you have a plan and are aware of how much you are spending!! Shit bites you in the ass soon if you take out big loans.
Blaster
Dean although I feel as though you are right. In this world now you have to have a college education to be even thought of for a job. The job may not use anything you learned in college but you really need it for people to even look at your resume
coolclay
Blaster you don't necessarily need an education if you make your own job. I personally know several extremely successful business men who own several companies and they only have high school diplomas. If you want to work for someone else than yes, a large majority of places now require bachelors as a minimum educational requirement, but if you have the drive, devotion, and work ethic then starting a your own business and making lots of money is in well within reach without an advanced education. I think that's what Deanhills was trying to get at.
Blaster
coolclay wrote:
Blaster you don't necessarily need an education if you make your own job. I personally know several extremely successful business men who own several companies and they only have high school diplomas. If you want to work for someone else than yes, a large majority of places now require bachelors as a minimum educational requirement, but if you have the drive, devotion, and work ethic then starting a your own business and making lots of money is in well within reach without an advanced education. I think that's what Deanhills was trying to get at.

My parents are 2 of these people who got lucky and run there own business. Yes if you are going to open your own business you might not need a college education but most other times you do.
coolclay
Agreed
jwellsy
I think learning a trade is a much better Return On Investment. You'll always be able to make money with a specialized skill based credential. You will be able to support yourself and a family quicker learning a skill.

Then reinvest in yourself to complete a degree and open more doors of opportunity. You can wind up with experience, a degree and no debt.
sledge32
Yes, i would say a college degree is neccesary if you want to land a high paying job. But what i dont anderstand is, why its always the high school and college dropouts are the billonaires.
Hello_World
Depends, again I second the opinion that it depends what exactly you are trying to achieve.

But here in Oz, many of the wealthy people are actually tradies who have done their apprenticeship, worked for 'the man' for some time, all with very low pay (yet more than you get for going to uni lol)
and finally with their practised skills, they have started out on their own business and now earn loads...

But if you want to do something like law, medicene etc you will need to go to uni.

I must say, though, that the experience of going to university shapes you quite a lot in a positive way, although at least that was my experience.

I notice, for example, (and sorry to be a little elitist) that those who have not gone to uni sometimes relate to others in a high school bitchy manner... but of course not all...
bukaida
You mean, in these era of recession, you want to create some more problem for those who took education as career? Simply not acceptable Laughing

On a serious note:-

YES, formal education is necessary every where. Unfortunately, in our education system, Education (Degree) and Knowledge are considered to be synonymous in most of the cases. In certain scenario where hands on experience are more important, you can go without it.

The worst aspect is that, if you donot have the proper degree, you may be exploited in your job even if you have the knowledge.
mukesh
I think college education is not necessary but college degree is must be necessary.
Now a days in my town about 70% student absent in college classes because problem to not continue classes. Students takes help by Institutes or tutions.
gisergising
amitseo wrote:
Hi all,
Please tell me is college education is necessary now a days.What is the importance of the college education?

first of all,I live in China,so meybe my country have something different.I think college is very important in China.the important thing in colloge is study.
roepjenaam
Help me please with my job
vidafenomenal
It's not have to.

The type of success we’re talking about is based on careers and financial status as this is the only kind of success that higher education is aimed at achieving. Whilst it’s often true that a college degree will help you attain success it is by no means a guarantee.

The increasing number of students attaining college degrees has had a negative effect on the jobs market increasing competition for higher paid positions. They have all worked hard and feel they deserve a suitable role which reflects their achievement. Unfortunately there aren’t enough of these to keep up with the demand and graduates are often forced to work at a lower level than they feel they have earned. Even worse is the increasing level of graduate unemployment.

At the same time people like Lord Alan Sugar and Richard Branson are enormously successful entrepreneurs without the benefits of a college education. They both started out in business at a young age and progressed using their intelligence, determination and skills. They have a flair for business that makes a college degree surplus to requirement. Now they are respected, well known businessmen and major employers in the UK and abroad.

For some careers, such as those in the medical profession, a college education will be essential. After all, there is only so much ‘on the job’ training you can do to become a brain surgeon! However there are many other career paths that do not necessitate higher education. You can start many types of business without a degree and you can also become a valuable employee. Even technical roles like web designer or computer programmer do not require degrees; as long as you know your subject it doesn’t have to matter whether you learnt it at home in your spare time or at college on an expensive degree course.

By citing these examples I’m not trying to devalue higher education. I am a firm believer in the benefits a degree (or two) can offer. Not just for people who want to practice medicine or the law but for all kinds of careers and even just general interest. The point I wish to make is that having a college degree is not a guarantee of success, neither is it a prerequisite.
shivaghimire
In my opinion, for education college is not necessary. Education and knowledge is different thing. Education can be collected from persons, friends and books reading books at home and around us. Knowledge can be achieved by doing and learning. School education is most needed.
College education is just to be specific in some subjects.
deanhills
shivaghimire wrote:
In my opinion, for education college is not necessary. Education and knowledge is different thing. Education can be collected from persons, friends and books reading books at home and around us. Knowledge can be achieved by doing and learning. School education is most needed.
College education is just to be specific in some subjects.
For me college is not only academic education, but social education that can be very helpful for later, particularly building a network of friends. And learning how to work in groups.
Insanity
I think it depends on what you want to ultimately do in life, but it generally helps. You'll have to weigh the costs and benefits of going to college, namely the financial stress and the amount of time you'll lose. If you can find a good job with the skills you have now, I wouldn't bother. I must say though, college is a great environment to transition from high school into the real world. You'll make new friends, learn a lot of different things (and not just from your classes), and generally be a more rounded person as a result.
inuyasha
Yes, I think it is necessary for most people. Nowadays the fierce competition between job hunters require we improve ourselves. Sometimes a diploma may make a difference for a candidate.
pll
If you don't have college education you need at least to have a speciality in a domain.
For example, your a self taught 3D designer, and you are able to do some work.

But in most jobs the bosses wants to know that you are really motivated so that's why they ask a degree.
rogue_skydragon
It really depends on what field you want to pursue. If you're looking to be involved in politics and public policy, having at least a bachelors degree is NECESSARY just for credibility amongst colleagues. But if you're looking to get ahead in the advertising, TV, or filmmaking worlds, no one really cares about what college/university you attended - these worlds will rely purely on networking, work ethic, and luck.
busaboss
I think it is not necessary at all times. Just like what everyone said, it mainly depends on the field you want. But having a college education is really a big plus because you experience hard work through difficult projects and examinations. Cool
jimmyphillips
Sure, college education is necessary,..One important answer to this question is more opportunity. As opposed to generations of the past, high school graduates today are unable to obtain the number of high-paying jobs that were once available. The U.S. has been transformed from a manufacturing-based economy to an economy based on knowledge, and the importance of a college education today can be compared to that of a high school education forty years ago. It serves as the gateway to better options and more opportunity. College students also need essay writing for their academic syllabus. They choose their dissertation proposal writing from many services.
psychorollercoaster
I think its absolutely necessary, dunno where would I or anybody i know stand with proper education...moreover in hte prevalent economic conditions is has become all the more important to get a descent level of education so that u get a headstart. without it there are extremely few examples of people who have made it big (or progressed) in their life.
c'tair
I guess it really depends on where you wanna go.

There are jobs which require more hands-on experience, anything from fixing cars to woodworking, which are in demand almost everywhere. You don't have to go to college for that, but you do have to go to trade school and get licensed. If you enjoy something like that then it is definitely the way to go - don't listen to people who say that you will be less respected as a mason than if you got a bachelors degree.

However, if your interests lie in something tied closer to academia, especially to the sciences - you probably have to go to college to progress simply because that's one of the few ways to get into the field.

One word of advice - have a plan. Don't go to college just for the experience - if you live in the US college is ridiculously expensive so if you're not sure about an education - don't pay for it. Also, do some recon of you interest field, because there are professions where a degree is extremely important, including which school you went to (ie. lawyers) and there are professions where the piece of paper doesn't matter (writing/some IT). You gotta see which is which, because getting 60k$ into debt sure sucks when the only thing you're qualified for is flipping burgers.
briankid
my answer : its advisable to have college although not mandatory,this is because it is also one of the determinants when getting a job in the future unless if u don't have interest in white collar jobs or you can't afford the fee
airh3ad
As we observe over supply of unemployment graduated as of today, but if you are skilled person you can get jobs.The country’s education system continues to turn out college graduates whose training and skills are not attuned to the needs of the labor market both at home and abroad. This is the lament of human resources and labor recruitment officials who decry the continuing popularity of glamorous and white-collar courses that produce diplomas but not well-paying jobs.
The criticism had been voiced many times in the past by business leaders and politicians but both government and the private sector have failed to institute meaningful and concrete measures to correct the mismatch between skills and jobs. The issue gains added urgency in view of the government’s inability to provide jobs and its continued dependence on the overseas job market. Problem is education is not well suited to the requirements of the global economy as well.
mochipie
For those who wonder why there are so many college-dropout billionaires, well obviously those are very few cases that stay in people's minds because they're different from what we expect. There's a bajillion times many billionaires who did receive college education, and there are very, very, very few well-off, stable-income folks who did not attend college.

But, as important a college education is in terms of employment, I truly think it's fundamental to being an active, curious, and open-minded human being.
bukaida
Education and Knowledge should not be confused together. The degree is a pre-recognition of your knowledge which can be acquired through formal education. The employer, without knowing the candidate personally must depend on the degree at the first place. It is something like purchasing a branded product from the store.Probability of being good in quality for such product is much higher than one purchased from unbranded and unnamed place. The same psychology plays in the employer's mind while interviewing a fresh candidate.
pcpolytechnic
I think College education is necessary. Attaining a college degree is milestone many people dream about. You will gain valuable work skills which in future helps to get job.
Zoey141
If you want a job, then you'll need a degree.
restonpiston
Zoey141 wrote:
If you want a job, then you'll need a degree.

Yeah, at least in Spain works this way. Also studying a degree implies learning things that you usually enjoy and will use in the future.
jestoy0514
College education is important not because you will never get a good job but because of the knowledge you will get from it. Students now a days is very lucky because all the references is always in palm of your hand as compare in my time having internet connection is quite rare and even owning a desktop computer is very difficullt. Just remeber that if you have the strong basic foundation you can do much everything.
BigGeek
sledge32 wrote:
Yes, i would say a college degree is neccesary if you want to land a high paying job. But what i dont anderstand is, why its always the high school and college dropouts are the billonaires.

I can answer why the high school dropouts are the billionaires - Most of them drop out of High School to go to work, and the first thing they learn especially if they work in a trade like electrician, plumber, roofer etc. Is that they can make more money than an hourly wage and they learn about piece work and getting paid by the job. Usually they learn how to maximize the income on a per job basis and from their they typically start their own companies and hire people for an hourly wage to do the piece work and reap much of the profit.

College education prepares you for a salary job which is typically a more than 40 hour week for the paycheck, and for hourly jobs. They may pay better to start with than a trade job, but you never really learn about piece work or commission work. Because of this most college grads only think in terms of salary or hourly wages.

Ways to earn money are:
Salary - paid to do a job no matter how many hours it takes.
Hourly - get paid by the hour
Piece work - get paid a flat rate per job
Commission - get paid a flat rate percentage of what you sell or contract
Residual - get paid repeatedly month by month for services or products

Residual is the most lucrative of the methods to earn money, say you earn 100 dollars commission per month per life insurance policy you sell. First month you sell 2 policies - that is only $200 a month right, but by the end of the year you have sold 24 policies - you are now earning $2,400 a month, after 2 years $4,800 a month, 3 years $6,000, 4 years $8,400, 5 years $10,800 per month.

So in essence with not even a high school education in the same amount of time that it takes a college grad to get his education and work his first year on the job, the insurance sales person with no high school education is earning over $100,000 a year.

No colleges really teach this, or how to get into a business that produces this type of income.

That's why most of the time the billionaires are high school drop outs.

Getting back on topic, personally I think that a College education is not worth it any more. I have a degree in Geophysics and I earn good money in my job. Thing is that I tell people all the time is that - My College degree back in the early 80's cost me $3,600 a year tuition and most of it was paid by the GI bill so I got out of College with about $4,000 in school loans that I paid off my first job and year out of college. If I had to pay today's US College tuition - I would not have gone to College.

They say a college grad on average earns $250,000 more over his life time than a High School grad. If you end up out of College in debt $250,000 to $300,000 - that negates your extra income and puts you in the hole with interest.

There are much better ways to get a good job, Certifications in your industry, on the job experience, self education. These things can be substituted by an employer for a degree and often times are worth more.

So my opinion is that anymore a college degree is not needed, and it puts you so far in the hole financially that I would suggest against it unless someone else is paying for it, and you can get the degree without the huge debt.
deanhills
I'd say the reason why a large percentage go for college education is because of expanding their job opportunities. Most of the really great jobs these days ask for a college degree on top of experience as a requirement. Quite a large number of employers don't even look at CVs that don't list college education for a given area of expertise.

So if one doesn't get a college degree, it may limit the opportunities out there to the ones that come without a college degree. It also may effect the salary scale that is offered.

I'd say a number of years back one could get away with it much more in that people were recruited without a string of rules and regulations and HR nit picking through everything. People could then be hand picked by senior members of the company and given a chance. It still happens, but as a rare exception. Right now most of the large companies have their HR policy institutionalized with college degrees a requirement. When CVs are considered those without degrees get filtered out.
loveandormoney
amitseo wrote:
Hi all,

It is.

Dont forget the social healing at an university.
BigGeek
deanhills wrote:
I'd say the reason why a large percentage go for college education is because of expanding their job opportunities. Most of the really great jobs these days ask for a college degree on top of experience as a requirement. Quite a large number of employers don't even look at CVs that don't list college education for a given area of expertise.

So if one doesn't get a college degree, it may limit the opportunities out there to the ones that come without a college degree. It also may effect the salary scale that is offered.

I'd say a number of years back one could get away with it much more in that people were recruited without a string of rules and regulations and HR nit picking through everything. People could then be hand picked by senior members of the company and given a chance. It still happens, but as a rare exception. Right now most of the large companies have their HR policy institutionalized with college degrees a requirement. When CVs are considered those without degrees get filtered out.

Yeah well my experience with HR departments is that they write up job listings and qualifications that are beyond possible for anyone to meet. They might weed people out by education level, but even that gets watered down when they actually go to hire someone for the job!

An example is IBM - they post job listings for a Cisco Certified Intranet Engineer (CCIE) the highest certification from Cisco, and also include that you need to be a Master Red Hat Engineer. In the job description they state you need to be able to deploy and configure advanced networks and build loads for Red Hat Linux servers. Yet when you interview for the job, they need a Network person, or a server person but not both. In their own company people are typically not certified in both, there are usually the Linux admins that load and take care of the servers, and network admins that design, build, and configure the network. There job descriptions are so out there compared to what they actually need it's crazy.

From my experience having HR people that know nothing about a job they are hiring for write needed qualifications is useless they have no idea what they are writing the qualifications for - they copy and paste a bunch of stuff into the job description that looks good without ever having a clue as to what any of it is!

At IBM they would waive the college requirement for job experience or certifications, General Dynamics, and AT&T did the same thing.

So although they may state a college degree is required they will waive it to hire who they want! Well at least that is my experience!
deanhills
BigGeek wrote:
From my experience having HR people that know nothing about a job they are hiring for write needed qualifications is useless they have no idea what they are writing the qualifications for - they copy and paste a bunch of stuff into the job description that looks good without ever having a clue as to what any of it is!
Totally agreed. Except where the problem gets in these days is that since every one can apply for the position, there could easily be 600 applications for the position, and someone could then force a filter on the applications. Unless we are dealing with IT specialists in HR, they don't really know enough to filter people out. Which is what could make things problematic.

BigGeek wrote:
At IBM they would waive the college requirement for job experience or certifications, General Dynamics, and AT&T did the same thing. So although they may state a college degree is required they will waive it to hire who they want! Well at least that is my experience.
I was unaware of that. And that's really good to know. There's at least hope with a large organisation like that.