FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Somebody Hacking Frihost?

loremar
I just found a post that had adult contents. But I was surprised to see that the user already had over 200 posts. Looked at his posts and all posts are edited to adult pictures. His last activity was 2006. But his first post this day was him asking to delete his account. The rest were all pictures of disgusting contents.

Is somebody has been hacking into frihost? Has this happened before?
ocalhoun
loremar wrote:

Is somebody has been hacking into frihost? Has this happened before?

Sounds more like a single account being hacked, ie somebody found, guessed, or keylogged the password of one of the users, and then used that to play a rather ugly joke.

Needless to say, the account was removed... with posts like that, you don't even need to ask for that to happen, it just will.

If it happens again with a different user, I would become very concerned about the security of the forums, but for now, this just looks like somebody stole a password and used it to cause as much damage as possible.
Peterssidan
I got a bit worried earlier today when I was watching this users posts and Frihost stopped working. I guess it was just a coincidence because a few minutes later it was working again.

Why does it take so long time? ocalhoun, you said he was removed. So the banned status is not used any more? There is still a lot of posts to remove and he still uses an adult avatar. Why not remove all his posts? Most of them has been edited anyway. Or maybe you can restore his old posts somehow.
Blaster
I just spotted a few of these posts... All I can say is EWWWWW and ocalhoun check pms...
Ghost Rider103
I think he meant his posts were removed.

The user is now banned. Unfortunately not all of his posts are spam canned just yet. But we're working on that.
Blaster
Ghost see the sports forum there are 2 in there... It shocked me when i saw.. and kind of scared me a bit
Ghost Rider103
I'm currently at work, which is part of the reason it is taking so long.

I really can't (or don't want to) see one of those posts and have somebody come walking up behind me. Laughing

I can spamcan all of his posts (one by one) from his user page, but the list is long and every post has a very disturbing image.

When I get the chance I'll go through the long list and start spamcanning away.
Blaster
it looks like most of the posts have been cleaned up. Thanks guys Smile Lets hope that doesn't happen again it was quite distrubing.
loremar
Is it really all gone? If somebody hacked me, I don't want to be hacked like that. It's like playing my dead body like some piece of rag.

What I am wondering is that if it was a hacker playing a joke with Frihost why did it post a request to delete his account? Was it an old user desperately wanting to delete his posts? If it was what a nasty way to get rid of his posts. They were all so disgusting.
Blaster
loremar wrote:
Is it really all gone? If somebody hacked me, I don't want to be hacked like that. It's like playing my dead body like some piece of rag.

What I am wondering is that if it was a hacker playing a joke with Frihost why did it post a request to delete his account? Was it an old user desperately wanting to delete his posts? If it was what a nasty way to get rid of his posts. They were all so disgusting.

Who knows what it was or why it was done. The user was banned and it appears all posts have been removed. If you find one that hasn't been then please report it.
Peterssidan
loremar wrote:
Is it really all gone?
All his posts are gone, but his avatar is still there.

loremar wrote:
What I am wondering is that if it was a hacker playing a joke with Frihost why did it post a request to delete his account? Was it an old user desperately wanting to delete his posts? If it was what a nasty way to get rid of his posts.
Wasn't that just a request to delete the hosting account? If I remember correctly the request was made earlier so it was probably by the real user. What happened today was probably done by someone else, but maybe the moderators can check the IP addresses and see how they match the older ones.
Blaster
Peterssidan wrote:
loremar wrote:
Is it really all gone?
All his posts are gone, but his avatar is still there.

loremar wrote:
What I am wondering is that if it was a hacker playing a joke with Frihost why did it post a request to delete his account? Was it an old user desperately wanting to delete his posts? If it was what a nasty way to get rid of his posts.
Wasn't it just an request to delete the hosting account? If I remember correctly the request was made earlier so it was probably by the real user. What happened today was probably done by someone else, but maybe the moderators can check the IP addresses and see how they match the older ones.

It could be a practicle joke played on him by one of his friends. Although none of us can see the humor in that and I don't think he does either.
loremar
Peterssidan wrote:
Wasn't it just an request to delete the hosting account? If I remember correctly the request was made earlier so it was probably by the real user. What happened today was probably someone else, but maybe the moderators can check the IP addresses and see how they match.

No, the request was dated Oct 29 about 10 pm on my time zone. And the previous post to that was on 2006. So that is why I think, the one who requested to delete the account was the same person who put on all these pictures. Maybe it could be the same user who logged in after being absent for 5 years and post a request to delete his account. He probably thought he would be more urging if he post those nasty stuffs. That is what I was wondering. If it was a hacker or another user, why did he post first a request to delete his account when he can just start ramming the entire frihost.
truespeed
I remember a while back Bondings saying he was going to make it so that nobody could go back and edit their own posts after a certain time frame,if this user managed to edit all his old posts i guess he never got round to implementing it.
loremar
Doesn't seem to be implemented, I can even still edit my oldest posts. I guess the old user really desperately want to delete all his posts. Though, I can't see a reason why he should. Or maybe he wants to sign-up for a different account?
Peterssidan
Prevent people from editing old posts sounds like a good idea. There is no reason to edit a very old posts. If there is something new to say it's much better to create new post.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
Prevent people from editing old posts sounds like a good idea.
I think it is an excellent idea. I do do lots of current editing, so like the idea of being able to edit my posts, but I think one should not be allowed to edit posts say minimum 24 hours.
Blaster
truespeed wrote:
I remember a while back Bondings saying he was going to make it so that nobody could go back and edit their own posts after a certain time frame,if this user managed to edit all his old posts i guess he never got round to implementing it.

I'm not sure of how easy this would be to do. However if there is anyone that could do it I'm sure it would be Bondings.
standready
Peterssidan wrote:
Prevent people from editing old posts sounds like a good idea. There is no reason to edit a very old posts. If there is something new to say it's much better to create new post.

There is no reason to edit a post except to perhaps correct a spelling error so give a person maybe a 30 minute window to edit. Many sites do that. After that period, you can just add another post to the topic.
Bikerman
As soon as I noticed the problem (via the reports - another good reason to use them) I began to remove the postings. Unfortunately moderators cannot do a 'blanket delete' for posters who have been here for some time, so it meant going through individually. I got rid of about 20 of the offensive postings, and Ghostrider and ocalhoun cleaned up any that I missed.
ocalhoun
standready wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:

There is no reason to edit a post except to perhaps correct a spelling error so give a person maybe a 30 minute window to edit. Many sites do that. After that period, you can just add another post to the topic.

There are occasionally special cases, especially in the marketplace or contest forums.
Bikerman
Personally I would be in favour of a time restriction on editing postings. I take ocalhoun's point about exceptions, but it should be possible to exempt those from the general policy.
There again, this would involve significant work by Bondings, and I'm not entirely sure that the situation is serious enough to make it a priority....
rajpk
Bikerman wrote:
Personally I would be in favour of a time restriction on editing postings. I take ocalhoun's point about exceptions, but it should be possible to exempt those from the general policy.
There again, this would involve significant work by Bondings, and I'm not entirely sure that the situation is serious enough to make it a priority....

in my opinions it is not good suggestion. people may want to edit post due to any other reason. just as my signature rent thread in marketplace. so only spelling is not single thing for which people edit their posts. maybe sometime links in post got changed. or sometime new things want to added in threads
shivaghimire
I haven't found any adult posts here anymore. I was fan of frihost at past time but now a days the use of frihost has been decreased by me due to my own problem and time. Sometime ago, I used to afraid whether my points would go down below 45 but now my points goes below 20 this shows the craze of frihost has been decreased for me. Anyway I haven't seen any adult posts here till now as I don't observe the articles regularly nowadays.
jmlworld
Blaster wrote:
truespeed wrote:

I'm not sure of how easy this would be to do. However if there is anyone that could do it I'm sure it would be Bondings.

It's not that hard. It only needs a couple of if statements wrapped around the post editor.

A verbose example:

Code:

if [post published time] > [time frame]

Stop them editing the post

else

post editor