FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

If two expanding universes expanded into each other

truespeed
What would happen,would it be total destruction of both? Or would they become one big megaverse? (thats not even a word is it)
Peterssidan
I guess there would be an increased risk of collisions between stars and planets. I don't see how total destruction could happen because they still expanding outside the intersection where it should be unaffected.
Nameless
Well I'd imagine the group of ragtag misfit space explores (and/or Doctor Who) would spend a good ten minutes arguing with each other (/trying on hats) before getting to explore the other universe, but war would be more or less inevitable by the thirty minute mark from contact. Give it another thirty minutes before the cosmic horror between the universes comes to light, ten minutes of desperate pleading for peace, then a literally unbelievably epic showdown that ends with the power of acceptance exploding it through time and causing the big bang. The two universes then drift apart and everybody mopes about it for a while before spontaneously getting over it 166 hours later.
badai
our universe is the only universe we can see. if we can see another universe, then that universe is observable which effectively make it a part of our universe.

i guess it will not effect us in anyway then. we just co exist with whatever exist in the other universe at the same location.
codegeek
The universe is a term that generally signifies the sum total of everything that exists. So, the possibility of there existing two or more of it and a collision occurring between them is quite an interesting one. However, if we assume that there is only one universe and it is expanding, this begs the question "What is it actually expanding into?"

I mean if there is space for the universe to expand into, there must be a limit to that space as well. Maybe this space contains multiple universes. Perhaps there are a lot of such spaces. In any case, we will not know until Science has advanced a lot further.
badai
codegeek wrote:
The universe is a term that generally signifies the sum total of everything that exists. So, the possibility of there existing two or more of it and a collision occurring between them is quite an interesting one. However, if we assume that there is only one universe and it is expanding, this begs the question "What is it actually expanding into?"

I mean if there is space for the universe to expand into, there must be a limit to that space as well. Maybe this space contains multiple universes. Perhaps there are a lot of such spaces. In any case, we will not know until Science has advanced a lot further.

these are your mistakes:

1. the universe is defined as everything that we can observe/measure, not including something YOU assume exist outside it.
2. you try to define space as something outside the universe, while space actually is one of properties of the universe. it don't have to expand into anything, space is created as it expanding. just like how US gov create money out of anything.
3. the mother of your mistake is digging up old topic which is quite as perplexing as to assume something exist yet not observable nor measurable, or visualizing space outside universe, when you are not a newbie nor low in point or coin.

ah.. my mistake. i just noticed you registered few days ago and start bombarding this forum. i just see your rank as junior frihoster and have no idea someone can have that rank within 2 weeks. welcome to frihost.
jajarvin
Wiki wrote:

The Grand Design is a popular-science book written by physicists Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow and published in 2010. The book explains 11 dimension M-theory, a theory many modern physicists support.

The authors explain, in a manner consistent with M-theory, that as the Earth is only one of several planets in our solar system, and as our Milky Way galaxy is only one of many galaxies, the same may apply to our universe itself: that is, our universe may be one of a huge number of universes.

The book concludes with the statement that only some universes of the multiple universes (or multiverse) support life forms. We, of course, are located in one of those universes.

When I read that book so multiverse concept seemed very strange. Over time, however, I am beginning to understand the fact that, in addition to our own universe there really can be other universes.
subhan1
maybe a collision of galaxies can either manipulate in one or maybe destroy everything or maybe create anti-matter
welshsteve
Isn't this going to happen to the Milky Way and Andromeda in about 4 billion years?
LxGoodies
welshsteve wrote:
Isn't this going to happen to the Milky Way and Andromeda in about 4 billion years?

Watch Razz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd9cBlvfjow

... and we probably won't notice it while it happens.. the chance we encounter impact matter from Andromeda on earth is <1/10.000 because space is nearly empty. It may affect the solar system though.. e.g. the precise duration of 1 year may change.. seasons may change.. anything big approaching us within say a billion km will derail gravity in the solar system and change planetary orbits. A foreign star approaching us could steal planets.. steal earth..

Lx
_AVG_
I suppose a nice solution would be for them to expand into each other in a parallel manner i.e. two events could simultaneously occupy the same supporting point in the framework.
On a separate note, I've always had a question about two different "universes" in that sense - why not just relabel the combined existence of universes as The Universe?
kelseymh
_AVG_ wrote:
On a separate note, I've always had a question about two different "universes" in that sense - why not just relabel the combined existence of universes as The Universe?

Partly from historical semantics, and partly from wanting consistent technical definitions. An underlying assumption for all of science is that the Laws of Nature (whatever those are in truth Smile are identical everywhere in "The Universe." The validity of that assumption (which we can test by comparing different observations which should be correlated) is what allows us to do science at all.

The "multiverse", by construction, involves fundamentally different physical laws in each isolated Universe which pops into existence. It would be rather confusing to use the same word for two such radically different situations.
Dennise
As has been suggested, colliding galaxies or even solar systems should be more accurately considered.

In that case, probability would answer your question. Such collisions I think would be similar to those that occurred when our own solar system was formed. There'd be glancing blows, near misses and direct hits ...... many causing horrific chaos and destruction for millions of years before some kind of arbitrary stable steady state existed.

I doubt you'd want to be around for such an event. If you were lucky enough to live on a planet that was spared such collisions, near misses, atmospheric disruption and radiation effects, you'd likely be treated to a truly incredibly long fireworks display the likes of which has never been seen by human eyes.
infinitude
IMO, to answer this question we have to understand or define the boundary concept of our universe, however I don't think it is plausible in current theory models. Therefore at least for me the question makes no sense for now.
kelseymh
infinitude wrote:
IMO, to answer this question we have to understand or define the boundary concept of our universe, however I don't think it is plausible in current theory models. Therefore at least for me the question makes no sense for now.

You may want to look up "multiverse" cosmology and "eternal inflation" to find out the current astrophysical perspective.
assencess
It's depends of more details. How many dark matter in other Universes. Nucleus charge(antimatter) and others stuff(we don't know yet all about quantum mechanics)... So it's would be intersting if it happens. Spoiler: we'll all die(even it's not happen)
P.S. Please, correct me if you find some mistakes in my message. English is not my native language. I study it by myself.
restonpiston
If the two universes are infinite as ours is, they both have an infine amount of space in between, so it couldn't happen at all.

Leaving this aside, it would be quite interesting seeing 2 universes with 2 sets of different physics laws colliding, what would happen to an object which enter the other universe? Would it keep it own laws or it will adapt to the new ones?