FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


The wife of God





Bikerman
Here's something which might interest Christians, Jews and Muslims.

Did your God have a wife?

Biblical scholar Francesca Stavrakopolou thinks so, and she has some pretty compelling evidence....

Here's a one hour video on the matter (I've edited it into 4 youtube vids)

Blackheart1992
well this oppens the field for 2 aproches! either we believe the bible wich clearly states that God is 3 persons Father, Son and Holy spirit! Or we can start fantesising about God having a nice wife! Ok what i think, and sorry that i didn't waist 1 hour waching that video! But i didn't wach it for 2 reasons! 1- Its useless to dabate on god having a wife because noone can prove it we can only imagine! 2 I dont actualy need someone to interpret the bible for me! I have been good enough at doing that myself for a very long time! I dont know about you guys but I realy don't think taht there is a wife of God no mather how misogynistic that might sound! And I'm sure that will be the case! For all those who might think that I'm just being misogynistic "I'm not! I just interpret the Bible as I read it!" .
Ankhanu
Blackheart1992 wrote:
Its useless to dabate on god having a wife because noone can prove it we can only imagine!

Does this not apply to every single discussion on the topic?

Blackheart1992 wrote:
I dont know about you guys but I realy don't think that there is a wife of God no mather how misogynistic that might sound! And I'm sure that will be the case! For all those who might think that I'm just being misogynistic "I'm not! I just interpret the Bible as I read it!" .

I don't think it's mysogenistic at all, really... It doesn't display a hatred of women in and of itself.

The video was interesting, and discusses that the Bible's not so clear cut on the topic as you think, and that broader, particularly Canaanite, contemporary contexts to the creation of the Bible shed some light into the cultural and social influences of the time. You should "waste" an hour and consider the merits and flaws of Franscesca's research; if nothing else, you may find your current position bolstered, and it's fun to speculate either way, especially in informed speculation.
faten
are you kidding of course no, why god needs a wife!! he is only one no other than it
loremar
Bikerman, the third video is not working. It was the part where she was to present evidence for asherah. Did you remove it?

Anyways, I find what she said about canaanite god and israelite god as one, is contradicting. She said El was used as a generic term for god. And she presented a text in the bible that says El was used as a proper noun. It says god showed himself as El of the wilderness and not made known by his true name which is Yahweh. But how is that become a proper noun, it could still be a common name right?

But then I was convinced when she said that the bible could have been written to conceal polytheism as a result of Babylonian invasion on 6th century BCE, to appease Yahweh who was punishing them for worshiping other gods.

I'm convinced because it seems to be corroborated by the fact that there is no archaeological evidence that Jews were enslaved in egypt. It seems that Exodus was indeed written to separate monotheistic Israelite culture from the Canaanite polytheism. They were trying to make up a story that their ancestors worshiped only one God.

Again Fransesca seems to be consistent in her feminist agenda. As she repeatedly says that the loss of the wife of god in history is devastating. lol. Anyways, I've read something about david's star being a representation of god and his wife, could it be true?
Bikerman
[I have agreed not to post in this forum, but I feel I should answer the specific question about number 3 video not working, so I hope my critics will not take this as any bad faith on my part]
I'm not sure why the video isn't playing here. It works OK on youtube, so if you click the 'YouTube' on the bottom right of the video it should launch OK...
loremar
Still doesn't work in youtube.

Quote:
[I have agreed not to post in this forum, but I feel I should answer the specific question about number 3 video not working, so I hope my critics will not take this as any bad faith on my part]

You might want to transfer your threads to P&R. You know, People who wants Faith Forum for themselves don't like evidence. Wink
bukaida
For Hindu gods, they not only have the wife but also children. For example, Lord Shiva is married to
Parvati( Godess Durga) and have Lord Ganesha(who has two wives Ridhhi & Sidhhi) and Lord
Karthik (Still bachelor) as their sons and Godess Lakshmi ( Married to Lord Vishnu) and godess
Saraswati ( wife of Lord Brahma) as daughters. So all three prime gods Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are married.
DrewWilson
there is no such a relation of GOD with anyone. GOD is only one. He has no blood relation with any one.
Ankhanu
bukaida wrote:
For Hindu gods, they not only have the wife but also children. For example, Lord Shiva is married to
Parvati( Godess Durga) and have Lord Ganesha(who has two wives Ridhhi & Sidhhi) and Lord
Karthik (Still bachelor) as their sons and Godess Lakshmi ( Married to Lord Vishnu) and godess
Saraswati ( wife of Lord Brahma) as daughters. So all three prime gods Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are married.

Yeah, this thread is centered in the context of the Abrahamic religions and their roots. The idea of "does/did God have a wife" doesn't really have much to discuss in polytheism, it's a pretty common theme for polytheistic deities to have static or mutable relationships and marriages.

DrewWilson wrote:
there is no such a relation of GOD with anyone. GOD is only one. He has no blood relation with any one.

Which elements of Dr. Stavrakopolou's argument are flawed in this regard?
ocalhoun
DrewWilson wrote:
there is no such a relation of GOD with anyone. GOD is only one. He has no blood relation with any one.

Well, there's a pretty large school of thought that says he has a son...
Ankhanu
ocalhoun wrote:
DrewWilson wrote:
there is no such a relation of GOD with anyone. GOD is only one. He has no blood relation with any one.

Well, there's a pretty large school of thought that says he has a son...


Very Happy
loremar
Is Mama Mary just a surrogate mother or is she God's wife? Why does many people call her mother?
Some people I know call Jesus as Papa Jesus. Hence, that makes Mama Mary our grandmother. These are just all confusing which is probably why I just can't believe all of it.
Ankhanu
By canon, Mary did not marry God; she married Joseph, so, no, she is not God's wife.
I've never heard of "Papa" Jesus, however Razz

But, the context of this thread is discussing Asherah... we should probably keep that in mind, as it is the Faith forum Razz
Ankhanu
Since most regard the videos as TL;DR, here's a quick synopsys/teaser of the basis of the content:
Discovery.com wrote:
God had a wife, Asherah, whom the Book of Kings suggests was worshiped alongside Yahweh in his temple in Israel, according to an Oxford scholar.

In 1967, Raphael Patai was the first historian to mention that the ancient Israelites worshiped both Yahweh and Asherah. The theory has gained new prominence due to the research of Francesca Stavrakopoulou, who began her work at Oxford and is now a senior lecturer in the department of Theology and Religion at the University of Exeter.

Information presented in Stavrakopoulou's books, lectures and journal papers has become the basis of a three-part documentary series, now airing in Europe, where she discusses the Yahweh-Asherah connection.

"You might know him as Yahweh, Allah or God. But on this fact, Jews, Muslims and Christians, the people of the great Abrahamic religions, are agreed: There is only one of Him," writes Stavrakopoulou in a statement released to the British media. "He is a solitary figure, a single, universal creator, not one God among many ... or so we like to believe."
loremar
Finally, I watched the 3rd video. It works now.

hmmm... There's no evidence here. Not so compelling.
She has yet to present what she says the missing evidence that proves Ashera is the wife of God. Until then, all that we can do is speculate.
GuidanceReader
My initial thought was, if God made us in his image, and we have certain needs, that would indicate that he'd have those needs as well. This would result in the requirement of a wife Razz (or at least some kind of partner... or a really good arm) Laughing Laughing
jrzipagan03
faith is just faith itself..believing into something that we've never seen before, it is believing into ourselves what we are capable of and our limitations...
Nehemie
If we look things as humane then we can think that God can have a wife. As far as he make us like him does not mine he has the same needs. He is evalasting while we are not.
Our skin can get old, while he's the same since we talk about him from generations.
There are soo many thinks that we should not look and compare to us. Other god mention in books are une him and can have wifes but hi over every god is special and different.
All people can do is to speculate and help to know God better.
Thanks for the video
johans
Just keep the faith whatever faith you believed.. God knows the best for us.

Very Happy
Hello_World
Quote:
God knows the best for us.


1 Timothy 2 :11-14

Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence.

With all due respect, I wouldn't trust 'God' to have my best interests at heart.

Not that he is real anyway.
johans
Quote:
1 Timothy 2 :11-14

Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence.


I am not really read Bible but if the quote/ verse above is correct and exactly the same as the Bible says then i believed in this.

GOD Bless all
Ankhanu
johans wrote:
Quote:
1 Timothy 2 :11-14

Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence.


I am not really read Bible but if the quote/ verse above is correct and exactly the same as the Bible says then i believed in this.

GOD Bless all

Except women.
ocalhoun
johans wrote:
I am not really read Bible but if the quote/ verse above is correct and exactly the same as the Bible says then i believed in this.


That's kinda scary in its own little way.
dapopeyoh
God having a wife??? Lmao. To me, that's just plane silly. Jesus is also God, but he didn't have a wife.
Navigator
From a theologically this isn't even debatable, what is interesting is that historically reveals that monotheism was a semi-recent fabrication as the concept god having an equal - or equals - is as old as human kind.
busman
DrewWilson wrote:
there is no such a relation of GOD with anyone. GOD is only one. He has no blood relation with any one.



Jesus?
mgeek
Anthropomorphic conceptions of God would find a consort normal.
mgeek
Navigator wrote:
From a theologically this isn't even debatable, what is interesting is that historically reveals that monotheism was a semi-recent fabrication as the concept god having an equal - or equals - is as old as human kind.


Rather, it should be "recent development" (as recent as Hosea). The religious consciousness evolves too.
mgeek
loremar wrote:
You know, People who wants Faith Forum for themselves don't like evidence. Wink


Not true.
Dialogist
Hello_World wrote:
Quote:
God knows the best for us.


1 Timothy 2 :11-14

Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence.

With all due respect, I wouldn't trust 'God' to have my best interests at heart.

Not that he is real anyway.


The irony lies in how you concluded this post. He is real and His son (God) is real too and Christians believed this anyway and for those Christians keen on evidence and historicity, however, perhaps of lesser faith, the resurrection of Jesus Christ provides this for them too. We have a strong claim for Him being real and here's the thing: it was made historically valid by this very same misogyny.

Nobody trusted a woman's testimony. She was commanded to be silent. However, when the witnesses of Jesus' resurrection turned out to be women, the apostles begrudgingly and embarrassingly included this in scripture. Historians widely regard this as the apostles risking ridicule and incredulous absurdity by having to state, in no uncertain terms, that it was indeed women who they were trusting with this critical testimony. Women they had advised to be silent. So not only does He move in mysterious ways, He also has a pretty unique sense of humour and some of us appreciate that.

The woman has kept this church afloat since the moment one agreed to birth Christ and nobody within the faith, man or woman has ever been in two minds about that. And Mary Magdalene wasn't a trollop. She was Christ's favourite apostle. It's not written, it's inferred and contextual, like most of the core beliefs of the faith, including divinity and the trinity. A lot of people (experts even) like to go on a cherry pick these days, trying to find the damnation/salvation quote for argument's sake to score a point (usually by the convenience of google search terms) but have never actually read The Bible in its entirety. Most of the confusion seems to stem from something written in the pre-Jesus (OT) era as opposed to what Jesus Himself opposed and a lot of people seem to struggle as to why there is two testaments. That's like trying to explain why there's Jews and Christians. Torah and Bible. Like trying to explain why the Jews didn't really like Jesus that much.

As for God having a wife, I don't really see the point. It only multiplies the schoolboy question, which is already an infinite regress of "What made God?" by 2, which is still infinity. I personally envisage God as a simplicity of no moving parts or corporeal material. A mind. The last thing a mind needs is a wife. My misogyny will come in handy again someday. Maybe lesbians will be able to marry and team up with the gays and our crumbling society will have 2 moms and 2 dads to combat the problem of the decaying family unit more effectively. Or perhaps not. Maybe brilliance needs to thrive on its own time.

"Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a god." - Francis Bacon
shoaib
No, it couldn't if God has wife then he can be biased towards his creation. GOD should be unbiased and He is...
nepalstar
Ya I also heard that god have wife, specially in Hindu culture the god have wife...
redhakaw
God's wife?

God's wife is the church.

This is so simple.
nickfyoung
Gnosticism taught that the Holy Spirit was the female part of God or some such thing but they were quickly closed down by the Catholic church.
loremar
redhakaw wrote:
God's wife?

God's wife is the church.

This is so simple.

Which church?
Those pointy ones that many politicians bow down to? OR those old types which easily turned to ruins due to the recent earthquake?

YES, I know you're not talking about a literal church Rolling Eyes
redhakaw
loremar wrote:
redhakaw wrote:
God's wife?

God's wife is the church.

This is so simple.

Which church?
Those pointy ones that many politicians bow down to? OR those old types which easily turned to ruins due to the recent earthquake?

YES, I know you're not talking about a literal church Rolling Eyes


those are structures, can you marry structures?

but I do am talking about the church literally, there are a lot of terms from the Bible that were contaminated through time and history, I just hope that we go back and recover what really was.
loremar
redhakaw wrote:

those are structures, can you marry structures?

but I do am talking about the church literally, there are a lot of terms from the Bible that were contaminated through time and history, I just hope that we go back and recover what really was.

OK let me start this over without the sarcasm.

Which church? Rolling Eyes
redhakaw
loremar wrote:
redhakaw wrote:

those are structures, can you marry structures?

but I do am talking about the church literally, there are a lot of terms from the Bible that were contaminated through time and history, I just hope that we go back and recover what really was.

OK let me start this over without the sarcasm.

Which church? Rolling Eyes


the church is simply all the christians who believe in the Lord Jesus as their life and savior regardless of religion.
loremar
redhakaw wrote:
loremar wrote:
redhakaw wrote:

those are structures, can you marry structures?

but I do am talking about the church literally, there are a lot of terms from the Bible that were contaminated through time and history, I just hope that we go back and recover what really was.

OK let me start this over without the sarcasm.

Which church? Rolling Eyes


the church is simply all the christians who believe in the Lord Jesus as their life and savior regardless of religion.

Kinda like polygamy? It's the first time I heard that a wife doesn't know she/he is a wife. I was a christian before and I pretty much remember that I was taught that christians are God's children NOT wife. You might say it's a metaphor but it's a weird one nonetheless. Christianity sure has many strange stuffs. Christ is the head, the church is the body. Christ told people to eat his body. So that means body eats body. Or head marries body. Or is it the head has a body which is the wife of his father? Or Christ is your brother but he is the son of your husband. Uhm what?

But if that's really just a metaphor then no one has to agree with you especially the christians who don't agree with you. Something like that is inarguable.... And.... forget I ask, I shouldn't have bothered.
redhakaw
loremar wrote:
redhakaw wrote:
loremar wrote:
redhakaw wrote:

those are structures, can you marry structures?

but I do am talking about the church literally, there are a lot of terms from the Bible that were contaminated through time and history, I just hope that we go back and recover what really was.

OK let me start this over without the sarcasm.

Which church? Rolling Eyes


the church is simply all the christians who believe in the Lord Jesus as their life and savior regardless of religion.

Kinda like polygamy? It's the first time I heard that a wife doesn't know she/he is a wife. I was a christian before and I pretty much remember that I was taught that christians are God's children NOT wife. You might say it's a metaphor but it's a weird one nonetheless. Christianity sure has many strange stuffs. Christ is the head, the church is the body. Christ told people to eat his body. So that means body eats body. Or head marries body. Or is it the head has a body which is the wife of his father? Or Christ is your brother but he is the son of your husband. Uhm what?

But if that's really just a metaphor then no one has to agree with you especially the christians who don't agree with you. Something like that is inarguable.... And.... forget I ask, I shouldn't have bothered.


I don't understand whether you want your question answered or not. Question
johans
Bikerman wrote:
Here's something which might interest Christians, Jews and Muslims.

Did your God have a wife?

Biblical scholar Francesca Stavrakopolou thinks so, and she has some pretty compelling evidence....

Here's a one hour video on the matter (I've edited it into 4 youtube vids)



I think Jesus Christ has no wife.. He died early.
Ankhanu
johans wrote:
I think Jesus Christ has no wife.. He died early.

The thread isn't about Jesus per ce, as the topic predates Jesus... the only way it might involve Hesus is if the concept of trinity is invoked. If you go back and read (even the bit you quoted), you'll see the topic revolves around the god of Abraham; Yaweh, Allah, God, Jehovah, whatever name you give it...

In that vein it also makes redhakaw's "the church" comment (limited to Christian denominations) utter nonsense, particularly within context. Given the topic context predates Christianity, it makes little sense.
redhakaw
Ankhanu wrote:
johans wrote:
I think Jesus Christ has no wife.. He died early.

The thread isn't about Jesus per ce, as the topic predates Jesus... the only way it might involve Hesus is if the concept of trinity is invoked. If you go back and read (even the bit you quoted), you'll see the topic revolves around the god of Abraham; Yaweh, Allah, God, Jehovah, whatever name you give it...

In that vein it also makes redhakaw's "the church" comment (limited to Christian denominations) utter nonsense, particularly within context. Given the topic context predates Christianity, it makes little sense.


heh. if that is the case then most of this thread's posts are utter nonesense as most of them talks about Jesus and if whether He had a wife.

why single out me?

and why is it nonesense? the Bible clearly reveals that Jesus is God, and that His wife is the church?

let me ask, why does God need a wife? or should have a wife?
Ankhanu
redhakaw wrote:
heh. if that is the case then most of this thread's posts are utter nonesense as most of them talks about Jesus and if whether He had a wife.

why single out me?

and why is it nonesense? the Bible clearly reveals that Jesus is God, and that His wife is the church?

let me ask, why does God need a wife? or should have a wife?

The posts concerning Jesus reference him as God's son... Primarily within the context of providing precedent for God to have "relations". They were also addressed (two years ago), you're not singled out, you're just contemporary. Not to mention I'd also addressed another user in that same post...

I really suggest watching the videos or reading the research this thread is based upon; it might help you discuss the topic, as you largely seem to be working out of context.
redhakaw
Ankhanu wrote:
redhakaw wrote:
heh. if that is the case then most of this thread's posts are utter nonesense as most of them talks about Jesus and if whether He had a wife.

why single out me?

and why is it nonesense? the Bible clearly reveals that Jesus is God, and that His wife is the church?

let me ask, why does God need a wife? or should have a wife?

The posts concerning Jesus reference him as God's son... Primarily within the context of providing precedent for God to have "relations". They were also addressed (two years ago), you're not singled out, you're just contemporary. Not to mention I'd also addressed another user in that same post...

I really suggest watching the videos or reading the research this thread is based upon; it might help you discuss the topic, as you largely seem to be working out of context.


ok, I don't know what happened 2 years ago. I guess this thread do not consider Jesus as God.

but atleast can we discuss why God needs or should have a wife? I think this is relevant, yes?
Ankhanu
redhakaw wrote:
ok, I don't know what happened 2 years ago.

The thread is two years old, and only 2 pages long... it's not hard to get caught up.

redhakaw wrote:
I guess this thread do not consider Jesus as God.

but atleast can we discuss why God needs or should have a wife? I think this is relevant, yes?

This thread is about events before Jesus' birth. Whether Jesus is considered God or not is irrelevant.

Why God needs or should have a wife is relevant, yes... but you're missing the context of the discussion. Again, watch the video or read the research this thread is based upon, and you'll be in a better position to contribute in a meaningful way.
emedeiros
Which god?
Ankhanu
emedeiros wrote:
Which god?

Did you read the original post? It's clearly about Yahweh/Allah/Jehova/etc (the Abrahamic god).
Related topics
HR Heaven and Hell
Husband And Wife
What animal would you most like to be
Can you dream your life without a computer ?
Where did Cain's wife come from?
Mental Illness
Is it bad to say OH MY GOD!!!!!
I have seen the GOD!
Catholics men of God and marriage
Abraham and the Child of Sacrifice - Isaac or Ishmael?
[Official] God - NO LONGER A STICKY
Create a religion
Is the christian god really so powerful?
Who was Adam's First Wife
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Faith

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.